Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Victorian 'ghost' on Google Street View

UM-Bot

victoriandress.jpg
Experts have been asked to examine a photograph found on Google Street View that some believe to show the ghost of a woman in Victorian dress. Is the image really an entity or could it simply be an actress in period costume ?

"Experts have been called in to examine the Google ghoul filmed at a former Victorian docklands which has a dark and sinister past. The woman dressed in long skirt, crisp blouse, bow tie, blue boater hat and scarf appears to be shimmering above the pavement. She was captured by the Google Street View cameras in Tiger Bay, Cardiff - the scene of murders and unsolved mysteries going back 200 years. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article (with picture) | linked-imageSource: Telegraph

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashyne

• Ghost Ship

• Bardsidhe

• schizoidwoman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And just how is this "ghostly"???

linked-image

Apparitions have often been caught on film but are invisible to the naked eye. "This woman is very smart - but she is dressed in clothes that you just don't see these days unless it's in a period drama on TV.

Here is the picture in question and it does indeed appear to be a ghost because of her outdated clothes. Who knows.

Edited by Ghost Ship

this is ridiculous! Look at the bottom of the "ghost's" skirt, stretching to the left. Look how that line splits the cement posts so that they are off set. Look at how crisp the cement is above this line, and how blurry it is under it. Look at how the different types of street bricks there are under this line. Look at the different bricks in the crosswalk.

IMO, this isn't even a very good attempt at faking a ghost. C'mon, this is what gives real ghost research a bad name.

Edited by sackett

The image's disorted. o0; I don't think it's a ghost. Maybe mistaking identity?

*Shurgs*

this is ridiculous! Look at the bottom of the "ghost's" skirt, stretching to the left. Look how that line splits the cement posts so that they are off set. Look at how crisp the cement is above this line, and how blurry it is under it. Look at how the different types of street bricks there are under this line. Look at the different bricks in the crosswalk.

IMO, this isn't even a very good attempt at faking a ghost. C'mon, this is what gives real ghost research a bad name.

I agree and there is no explanation given for the blurred area.

Wow. I wouldn't even have realized it was Victorian. Seems about as normal as most clothes to me. And as everyone else said the picture looks fake to me.

I do wonder who the people are that spot this sort of thing on Google Earth... they must have loads of free time (and could use it more productively by posting on UM!)...

I do wonder who the people are that spot this sort of thing on Google Earth... they must have loads of free time (and could use it more productively by posting on UM!)...

no way! these are the kind of people that go around creating hoaxes or treating every other explainable phenomena as a paranormal sighting.

no way! these are the kind of people that go around creating hoaxes or treating every other explainable phenomena as a paranormal sighting.

Absolutely, looking for the paranormal everywhere and in everything...

There's a legion of Whovians, or Dr. Who fans, who like Torchwood as well. Torchwood is a spin off of Dr. Who and the entrance to their underground base can be seen in the distance of the Google Earth Streetview of that location.

Additionally, to others, I would like to point out that the distortion seen is an artifact that is actually somewhat common with the Streetview thing, and is basically like somebody taking concentric rings and twisting them one way or the other. I'm not sure what causes it, but the figure is actually viewable as a full figure one snap shot back to her left (forward on the street). One snapshot backward on the street (to her right), however, she is absent, but then again so is the giant blue truck. This implies that for some reason the pictures were taken at different times. Most likely because the cameras record based on distance, and there's a stop light that could have halted traffic long enough for her and the truck to appear.

You don't need an expert to say that she most likely is just a woman in period clothes.

To be honest, the only thing about the picture that looks odd is her head, either she has a sort of poofy hair do, or she's wearing a old fashioned hat.

Seeing as how you can't tell how old she is, or make any kind of identification... I think it's just a picture of a lady that is getting spun.

Is Telegraph a tabloid for teh UK? 'Cause it seems to print a good deal of these style stories.

theres one like that in california us

i was "taking a vitrual walk around a city in california" lol. and i saw a woman crossing the street, only her upper body was on the side walk still and her waist and legs were walking in the middle of a street. it looked like a ghost whos body was sliced.

but she was in modern clothes

Was Google looking for a new sort of advertising for their new product?

I have to say I find it quite clever to (ab)use ''paranormal phenomena'' to get media attention.

Edited by Dezmond

The Google cameras have also captured a spooky ET alien figure in New Jersey, United States.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather see this spooky alien figure than some person in a "victorian" outfit. Does anyone have a link?? ^_^

how funny is this quote from the article:

"Local medium Jane Cohen, 39, said: "Apparitions have often been caught on film but are invisible to the naked eye."

made me chuckle..

:D

"But what is really strange is that she doesn't appear as a full figure - you can't see all of her."

strange ? almost the whole bottom is askew. it's not strange !! Victorian clothes ?? in England ? OMG what next ? people dressed as town criers ?? lol could this be an actor going to work ?? guess that would be too simple.

sorry ,.. should have read through............ solved.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

Complete HOAX! Look at the picture with a photo editing program and it is immediately clear the girl/lady has been inserted from a picture taken in almost exactly the same spot and then inserted into the original Google View photo. Should be obvious even without that examination because of the out-of-focus, distorted posts around the area of the "ghost". What some newspapers won't do for a little extra publicity!!!

saw some pictures of the inaguration that were distorted like that too. You know the type, legs walking with no upper body and a child being held by a woman with no face. I think the rendering just came out poorly.

For those who are interested, the exact location is : Bute Pl, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom.

Where is the "ghost"? , I don't see it!!