Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sewer Gators

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    shellsandscales

shellsandscales

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Tia on Mar 31 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

I'm out on this one till there's some hard evidence.

So physically finding an alligator in a sewer isn't hard enough evidence to prove there are gators in the sewer?????

Most reptiles could survive a short time in the sewer. As far as long term most species (turtles, lizards, etc) would die after a while from lack of uva/uvb light which most reptiles require for biological processes. Without aduquate light they get sick and die.

Alligators are a big exception they have been found to be able to live in the most extreme environments long term. And have been found and confirmed in sewers many times. Caimen on the other hand are much more tropical in nature and less hardy. They are more likely to die from cold and dirty conditions then a gator would.

#17    Eco727

Eco727

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "Agreeing is once of the best solutions" -Loren Coleman

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

The link is very convincing, but I don't think they can be 100 percent sure

Monster of the Month-Roc
http://www.wizards.c...8268_620_17.jpg

#18    Ruffjeff

Ruffjeff

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

Mortagon on Mar 31 2009, 01:34 AM, said:

I remember a few years back they found a snake (about 4-5 feet long) in the sewers, it had survived there for quite some time, three or four months as far as I recall. The snake was actually a pet snake that had escaped from its home. I think it was a python of some sorts. These kind of news are pretty big in Norway so I don't think it was fake.

despite the lack of light, im sure theres plenty of rats down there for it to be a decent habitat for a snake!

Posted Image - Please click on my Egg and help it hatch!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Ruffjeff

#19    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

• What happened to the American dream? It came true, you're lookin' at it.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:30 AM

I'm a sucker for sewer gators, but still I must be rational and say due to the limitations of Gator's bodies they could not survive in a sewer system.

Jesus, I was evil

#20    Lewys

Lewys

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

My husband lived in New York for a few years and I asked him about this a few years ago.
He said there were a few found but usually smaller ones and they were pets people had gotten tired of or scared of and so the would release them there their selves. He did say that while he was down there he seen one that was about 4 or 5 feet long that was bathing itself in some water fountain. He just happened to be in the right spot at the right time to see it. the police had the place blocked off while the animal control or whoever was getting it out he could not remember who but he said it was cool but scary to think about. they figured it has come from the sewer but really did not know for sure.

#21    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

She who carries a big sword

• 2,356 posts

• If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. -Woody Allen

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

draconic chronicler on Mar 30 2009, 07:51 PM, said:

The show on Sewer Gators did have hard evidence of alligators in the sewers, but not recently.  There was an 8 foot long one in the 1930's.  The closest thig thing they found to a gator on their expedition was a Salamander.

I saw the same show, and there HAVE been gators in the past, they just didnt find any this time around.

If anyone is interested heres a short bit about out of place gators in Arizona
Az gators

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle

Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth.
Stephen Hawking

If you cant laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others. I laugh alot.

#22    Eco727

Eco727

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Well, the amazing heat of the sewers would allow them to digest prey, and due to the sheer mass of small prey an alligator could adapt.

Monster of the Month-Roc

#23    MaggieDruydess

MaggieDruydess

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

• "Perception is more pleasing then the Truth."

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

Animal control and game and wild life was always pulling gators out of the sewers back home in FL.  
Heck they just pulled a 4 footer out of the CT. river in VT/NH a few years ago.  sewer gators in NY wouldn't surprise me at all.

"Civilization is a conspiracy to disguise the mutilation of nature."

#24    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

• What happened to the American dream? It came true, you're lookin' at it.

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:41 AM

draconic chronicler on Mar 31 2009, 01:51 PM, said:

The show on Sewer Gators did have hard evidence of alligators in the sewers, but not recently.  There was an 8 foot long one in the 1930's.  The closest thig thing they found to a gator on their expedition was a Salamander.

A salamander? Tell me more?

Jesus, I was evil

#25    Eco727

Eco727

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Actually, it's a little funny, last week in Philly, a 2 foot gator was found nibbling at people in the nearby sewers.

Monster of the Month-Roc

#26    catutie

catutie

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

• wait there looking at this....hurry say somthing smart..........................

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

so we cant just say that an alligator cant walk into a sewer and be seen once and then the gator walks back out.......makes sense to me. its not like it has to be a 100 ft alligator eating dogs and cats and unlucky humans that go near the sewers...... crying.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users