Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#136    Paranormian

Paranormian

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• Live Life To The Fullest.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

aquatus1 on Apr 11 2009, 03:22 PM, said:

I love the Discovery Channel too.  But don't forget that it is TV.  And you have got to take what the telly says with a grain of salt.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have a whole lot of knowledge from the Maya.  We know that they were fairly competent astronomers, but without records, we have no way to tell how accurate they were.  There is no reason to think they were any more of less accurate than any other civilization.

Think about it...How could we possibly know if they were half a second to a second off?  Even if they were, how could we know?

I understand what your coming from. But back around the mayan era their was one mayan that burned all their books, records, documents etc. Except one they found that gave them information on some of their history and what they did. happy.gif

Live To The Fullest, But Due to Death Do Us Part Do Not Give Up Faith, Truth, And Hope.

#137    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Paranormian on Apr 12 2009, 12:30 AM, said:

I understand what your coming from. But back around the mayan era their was one mayan that burned all their books, records, documents etc. Except one they found that gave them information on some of their history and what they did. happy.gif

I believe you are referring to Diego de Landa, who wasn't so much Maya as he was a Franciscan missionary.  In 1562, not satisfied with the Maya merely accepting Christianity, he ordered the burning and destruction of hundreds of books, documents, and artifacts that contained anything that he believed referred to "devil worship".  Fortunately, there were a few sympathetic missionaries who managed to save a small handful of documents.

Maya history is a fascinating thing, to be sure, but it is fantastic in it's own right, and doesn't really need any of the embellishment that so many have attempted to dress it up in.

#138    xJennx

xJennx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

We give these mystical powers to civilizations in the past who showed even an ounce more advancement than their neighbors.  Yeah, they were (from what we know) rather advanced for their time. I stress, for their time, for a reason.

The Mayan religion was essentially the worship of time. When to plant the crops, when to harvest, when to celebrate, etc. They believed the earth has ended four times in the past, and thus created five times. And we know from study of the earth that our planet has had extinction level events much more frequently than that. But I'm pretty sure Earth was only created the one time.

I will say they had a more accurate calender than even we do. That of course doesnt mean that when their measurement of a certain area of time comes to an end, so will life. Just that another countdown begins. They worshiped time and thus created an intricate and reliable system surrounding it. They just paid attention to the constellations and made notes.

Their doomsday belief was their own. The earth has been prophesied to end thousands of times over...and yet here we are.

And if something did happen to have them assume some kind of end happened, and they experienced a rebirth, and they then calculated the event to happen in the future, it was probably born from confusion of science they had yet to encounter or explore. Essentially they believe the world will turn in on itself, man's inventions turning on them. They could have experienced issues from solar flares (although what they would affect at that time I couldnt fathom) or any number or small issues which we both know and can explain today. Yet they were primitive and unsure of much of the universe around them, so small problems could have been quite scary to them. And like most primitive societies, built a religious based theory on the happenings, and decided it was an action of a God.

Here is an article that may interest you: Solar flares and 2012

#139    Paranormian

Paranormian

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• Live Life To The Fullest.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

heh yah grin2.gif

Live To The Fullest, But Due to Death Do Us Part Do Not Give Up Faith, Truth, And Hope.

#140    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,475 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

greggK on Apr 10 2009, 08:09 PM, said:

Sorry, Doug.  I was trying to make some comical remark.  But, I heard the World Trade Center area is U.N. Property.  The New York City Police Department has jurisdiction, but that is all.  That is why their was no checks on those buildings.  No protection from the US.  The only open area in the United States was those buildings.

To answer your question about the Mingo Tribe, refer to the Supreme Court ruling given by Chief Justice John Marshall in 1830 on the Cherokee Indians V. The state of Georgia.  The Cherokee Indians were the only tribe to take their grievance to the Supreme Court and they lost.

At the time of the 9/11 attack, the WTC was privately owned.  I am not sure if the site has been bought by a government entity for use as a memorial, or if a new building will be put up there.  I don't think the UN is involved, but don't quote me on that.  If it is, then the WTC site MAY or MAY NOT be under US jurisdiction.

One would have to read the Supreme Court's decision to see what it actually says.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#141    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

Doug1o29 on Apr 13 2009, 08:09 AM, said:

At the time of the 9/11 attack, the WTC was privately owned.  I am not sure if the site has been bought by a government entity for use as a memorial, or if a new building will be put up there.  I don't think the UN is involved, but don't quote me on that.  If it is, then the WTC site MAY or MAY NOT be under US jurisdiction.

One would have to read the Supreme Court's decision to see what it actually says.
Doug

The buildings were transferred to a private firm 9 months prior to the 9/11 tragedy.

This is the unofficial copy of the agreement signed by Secretary-General of the UN and the Secretary of State of the US in 1946.

http://www.usunnewyork.usmission.gov/hc_do...law_80_357.html

ANNEX 1

The area referred to in Section 1 (a) (1) consists of (a) the premises bounded on the East by the westerly side of Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive, on the West by the easterly side of First Avenue, on the North by the southerly Bide of East Forty-eighth Street, and on the South by the northerly Bide of East Forty-second Street, all as proposed to be widened, in the Borough of Manhattan, City and State of New York, and (cool.gif an easement over Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive, above a lower limiting plane to be fixed for the construction and maintenance of an esplanade, together with the structures thereon and foundations and columns to support the same in locations below such limiting plane, the entire area to be more definitely defined by supplemental agreement between the United Nations and the United States of America.

Maybe, that is close to the area but on the opposite side of Manhattan.  

On April 26 of 2001 the Board of Commissioners for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey awarded Silverstein Properties and mall-owner Westfield America a 99-year-lease on the following assets: The Twin Towers, World Trade Center Buildings 4 and 5, two 9-story office buildings, and 400,000 square feet of retail space.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

It is me!

#142    The Worlds Wolf

The Worlds Wolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

• "nature is the only key to history that tells the ideas of the past life." - SG Wolf

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

as ive said before there is only theories of the things that will happen on 2012 but i hope something does happen just for interest term.. even if it kills me. im probably like the only one who hopes something epic happens on the year 2012. not only is the Mayan calendar involved the Aztec calender is too but not anything ending just a change of cycle.

Every question has an answer, every answer has a reason.

#143    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

The Worlds Wolf on Apr 15 2009, 08:02 PM, said:

as ive said before there is only theories of the things that will happen on 2012

They don't even qualify as theories.  They barely qualify as claims.

but i hope something does happen just for interest term.. even if it kills me

Ennui is a terrible reason to die.

im probably like the only one who hopes something epic happens on the year 2012.

Oh, don't worry about that.  There's plenty of people who are bored enough for this.

not only is the Mayan calendar involved the Aztec calender is too but not anything ending just a change of cycle.

The Aztec calender has no more to do with 2012 than Nostradamus or any other ancient society.  The only ones with the vaguest references to it are the Maya, and they never mentioned anything epic.

The whole thing is so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.

#144    Hamlyn

Hamlyn

Not Dead Yet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

• Why you eyeing my lemon drink?

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

December 21, 2012. I see a fat man laughing! Ho ho ho! Must be the Antichrist.

I see the letter Q. Is it Quetzalcoatl or Quincy Jones? The Magic 8 Ball says, "ask again later."

Science exists to investigate the unexplained, not to explain away the uninvestigated.

Ouija transcripts, Tarot sessions, psychic readings, and other messing around. Read it all here.

#145    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

Well let me tell you, if nothing happens there will be a lot of people running around trying to make you believe it happened.  
laugh.gif
And how time just got so fast as to make it happen in less than a blink of an eye!

It is me!

#146    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• 1,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

cateyes221981 on Mar 31 2009, 11:09 PM, said:

anyone? ideas? or nothing?

Hopefully something will happen. I've been waiting for the apocalypse for a long time. I'm hoping that if the world doesn't end entirely and our feeble civilization is obliterated completely, that at least it will revert to a sort of Mad Maxx society. Or like Fallout 3. There is nothing I look forward to more than living in a boarded up house with a shotgun and eating rats. We need to get back to the simple joys in life.

If any of you guys are interested, we can all head to some location yet to be determined and form our own gang of marauders. I will be accepting applications for employment begginning in August of 2011.

I'm gonna run the barren wastelands...

Edited by Brahmana, 16 April 2009 - 02:15 AM.

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#147    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

Brahmana on Apr 16 2009, 03:14 AM, said:

Hopefully something will happen. I've been waiting for the apocalypse for a long time.

Why??? I mean its kinna morbid don't you think????? Why are some hung up on the world ending???

I dont believe any of the predictions are right......for each one that has been predicted....nothing has ever happened

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#148    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:51 AM

Hamlyn on Apr 15 2009, 05:34 PM, said:

December 21, 2012. I see a fat man laughing! Ho ho ho! Must be the Antichrist.

I see the letter Q. Is it Quetzalcoatl or Quincy Jones? The Magic 8 Ball says, "ask again later."

lmao !  gotta get me a Magic 8 ball !

#149    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• 1,744 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:47 AM

Beckys_Mom on Apr 15 2009, 10:43 PM, said:

Why??? I mean its kinna morbid don't you think????? Why are some hung up on the world ending???

I dont believe any of the predictions are right......for each one that has been predicted....nothing has ever happened

These song lyrics pretty much sum up my whole take on the subject:

I've no desire for second helpings
I've no intrest in capital gain
My portfolio was always empty
So let's burn it all down again

I've no time for the bean counters
All the bureaucrats should be slain
That's why I say to you
Let's burn it all down again

In old Atlantis
The fire finally came
Toppling their towers
And ruining thier game
Let's see some storms
I'd like to see some rain
Or better still

I've no patience for credit ratings
I get no joy from the stock exchange
That's why I say, fellow slaves

In old Atlantis
The fire finally came
Toppling their towers
Anr ruining their game
Let's see some storms
I'd like to see some rain
Or better still

...that's right honeychild...you and me...
...together...let's burn it all down...again...

"Old Atlantis" Snog

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#150    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

Can't keep it in, Can't keep it in, I gotta let it out,,.,, Gotta show the world,,, Gotta See, , See all the love, love thats in me, I said why walk alone?
Now why worry when it's warm ova hea, Got too much decite, decite kills the light, Light has to shine now Shine light, Shine light, LOVE!

Love OMnaka

Now Wy Why Not?

Edited by Omnaka, 16 April 2009 - 04:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users