Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

2012 Apocalypse and Solar Storm (merged)

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#16    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

Go back around to the year 1859, the Carrinton Event.  There was a massive solar 'protuberance' that caused metal to be hot to the touch and caused buildings to burn.
I don't know how many have been since 1859 that has happened if any.  But, in 2012 that would be about some years.  Now, do we have any recorded history of solar emissions such as that?  Maybe the one that hit the Eastern US again in 1965, that's 104 years.  There was a power grid downfall cascade that started in Canada not too long ago.
But, we don't know if the warning are real or just memories that recur.
I think it is memories that haunt.

September 2, 1859 Event
•Rochester NY -“Some who saw the display attributed it to fires in the towns about.”

http://www7.nationalacademies.org/ssb/spac...her08_green.pdf

Had to change the dates around and correct some errors.  Probly made more though.

Edited by greggK, 11 April 2009 - 04:26 PM.

It is me!

#17    Nik Xues

Nik Xues

The Still Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

Not really the end is it?
Humans can survive a minor 100 year set back. I live in a hunting and camping community we'll barely be effected. Just means no more fussy eating mmmm Squirrel. no wait we can eat our pets so we dont have to share food.

True Scientists consider all possibilities until they have evidence stating otherwise.
the others are idiots simply waiting for proof of existence.

#18    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,823 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

Nik Xues on Apr 11 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

Not really the end is it?
Humans can survive a minor 100 year set back. I live in a hunting and camping community we'll barely be effected. Just means no more fussy eating mmmm Squirrel. no wait we can eat our pets so we dont have to share food.

Theoretically, my pet is an excellent hunting animal*. I'd go in 50/50 with him rather than eat him.

--Jaylemurph

*In practice, he just tends to stare at small game with a look that says "I *know* there's something I should be doing now, but I sure don't know what."

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#19    Elite

Elite

Psychic Spy

• 1,140 posts

• ''If you cant beat them, arrange to have them beaten'' - Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:43 AM

does it really matter if the world does end?
there would be nothing we could do about it , we might aswell be ants debating wether the giant magnifying glass of DOOM will destroy us

#20    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

Nik Xues on Apr 11 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

Humans can survive a minor 100 year set back.

There's a wonderful early 1950s science fiction novel, Jerry Sohl's COSTIGAN'S NEEDLE, which postulates that if you take several thousand highly-intelligent humans and suddenly thrust them into an entirely new environment (in this novel, a variant dimension) with abundant natural resources, that within a year or two they'll be spinning wire and making glass and within three or four years have re-invented radio and television.

#21    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

Just want to say, this is where the glory of being a rural folk comes it. thumbsup.gif I sort of hope it happens. Boy, talk about human population control! wink2.gif Just what we'd need.

Edit to add: I hope that we don't reinvent things for a good long time. :/ It'll be obvious if/after this occurs it's not a necessity. Maybe it'll teach people something.

Edited by Ebonykrow, 12 April 2009 - 01:31 PM.

#22    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Ebonykrow on Apr 12 2009, 02:29 PM, said:

Just want to say, this is where the glory of being a rural folk comes it. thumbsup.gif I sort of hope it happens. Boy, talk about human population control! wink2.gif Just what we'd need.

Edit to add: I hope that we don't reinvent things for a good long time. :/ It'll be obvious if/after this occurs it's not a necessity. Maybe it'll teach people something.

I think this world could do with a bit of a shake-up. Remind people what's truly important. And if I die, I just hope it's quick.

Posted Image

#23    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,214 posts

• Question everything

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

greggK on Apr 11 2009, 12:05 PM, said:

Go back around to the year 1859, the Carrinton Event.  There was a massive solar 'protuberance' that caused metal to be hot to the touch and caused buildings to burn.
I don't know how many have been since 1859 that has happened if any.  But, in 2012 that would be about some years.  Now, do we have any recorded history of solar emissions such as that?  Maybe the one that hit the Eastern US again in 1965, that's 104 years.  There was a power grid downfall cascade that started in Canada not too long ago.
But, we don't know if the warning are real or just memories that recur.
I think it is memories that haunt.

September 2, 1859 Event
•Rochester NY -“Some who saw the display attributed it to fires in the towns about.”

Attributed it to fires, not attributed fires to it. I'm not seeing the bit about metal getting hot anywhere either.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#24    Pal101

Pal101

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

I have doubts of this.
1. Solar storms happen quite often.
2. This would be aggravating for modern civilization but I don't think it would takes much of a toll off the population and certainly won't destroy the Earth.
3. The Aztec calender had no prophecy's about this.

A credible person should be 50% openmided and 50% Skeptical. One cannot exist without the other without looking like an idiot.

#25    Something Is Out There

Something Is Out There

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Just wait another 3 years.. we people here dont have to argue to believe if its happening or not... Time will tell...
While you're waiting, why dont everyone of us enjoy living to the fullest.. at least if that DAY really arrives, we wont regret of what we did back few years ago.. original.gif)

#26    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,392 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Who exactly "predicted" an apocalypse for 2012?  A calendar ending ain't exactly a prediction.

#27    Shush_rules

Shush_rules

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

Pal101 on Apr 14 2009, 11:05 AM, said:

3. The Aztec calender had no prophecy's about this.

Probably because its the Mayan calender that ends in 2012.

"There ain't no heroes no villians, ain't no pleasure in killing, just the smoke from the cap peeling a man with no feeling, Tear Drops and Closed Caskets"

#28    shaka5

shaka5

Psychic Spy

• 1,016 posts

• I always call people fools for wanting to learn the hard way....When I'm really the fool for tryna teach 'em

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

Enigmatic Annasawzi on Apr 9 2009, 06:34 AM, said:

Heh, yeah, I remember this one, it's in Nicolas Cage's newest movie, Knowing. Only it doesn't happen exactly on 2012, but then again they didn't exactly give a date for the flare. In the end, the Rapture isn't of the faithful masses of *Snip* Christians, but a crap load of children. Which would make more sense, since children have a vast scape of understanding, will not at first, but they do, so the movie ends with earth being burned to a crisp, the children leaving, and Cage's character finally knowing, persay.

EA

hahahahaha...i was thinking of this movie reading this thread, the OP should of put "Knowing" spoiler in the title

I have less compassion than the average human.

#29    shaka5

shaka5

Psychic Spy

• 1,016 posts

• I always call people fools for wanting to learn the hard way....When I'm really the fool for tryna teach 'em

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

Enigmatic Annasawzi on Apr 11 2009, 05:48 AM, said:

It had to be ruined, it's a great movie, but should of been watched at the movies, and ignored during the release to dvd, as all would and should do so. Yes the theatres worldwide got gay, with the whole rent a seat for two hours idea, but lets remember folks at least if we watch them in the theatres, we won't have to go to the movie rentals to get it for an antagonizing day or two. GO TO THE MOVIES AND WATCH, just don't rent it, that whole rent dvd's thing is a scam of all arts and forms.

EA

this movie was far from great...honestly it was real good till the very end, it ruined the whole movie completely...its like taking a hot chick out to dinner and back at the house you and her have a drink and things get hot and then she tells you she has her period, great night but ruined right when the best part was suppose to happen

I have less compassion than the average human.

#30    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

2012 Apocalypse and Solar Storm, Is this the 'end' of the world?  

no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users