Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Search for the Solar System's Lost Planet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on Apr 15 2009, 08:02 AM, said:

Never heard of that one personally. Well, if indeed there was a collision, have they found evidence on Earth itself to believe this is the case? I'd love to read about it.

No when they collided both planets were destroyed.  Earth's gravity was able to pull it back into one piece.  Most of the rest became the moon.  Thats the theory anyways.  some of the pieces are in the trojan positions of the moon.  I will let mid or one of the others explain that.  They can probable do a better job than i could

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 7,345 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

My understanding is this occured way back when Earth was still forming, at the time it was still a mostly molten ball, when the hypothetical planet Theia collided with Earth.
Actually, Earth and the Moon are the byproduct of the two planets colliding.

How did NASA know it was called Theia?

TeraLink Was Here!

Uh.
We uh...
Named it.
Like... recently.
huh.gif

Also, the Earth does have other satellites:
http://www.universetoday.com/guide-to-spac...oes-earth-have/

Not that any of them are probably from the collision, seeing as how their orbit is relatively weak, and formed relatively recently.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    Admiral Danger

Admiral Danger

Thats what she said

• 5,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

what if there was a ring of rocks orbiting earth, but its too small to see...  so we dont know about it...

Edited by dr alien, 15 April 2009 - 08:45 PM.

thats a very interesting story about the shark and how it tried to eat you, but it still doesnt answer my question.  where the hell is my sandwitch!?

#19    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 7,345 posts

• Oops.

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

dr alien on Apr 15 2009, 03:44 PM, said:

what if there was a ring of rocks orbiting earth, but its too small to see...  so we dont know about it...

Eh, considering the amount of probes we have in orbit around Earth, and the number of probes we've sent out of orbit, we'd have hit it by now, even if it wasn't visible.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users