Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are you Atheist, Theist or Agnostic

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Which are you? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

Atheist, Theist or Agnostic

1. Atheist (47 votes [44.34%])

Percentage of vote: 44.34%

2. Theist (21 votes [19.81%])

Percentage of vote: 19.81%

3. Agnostic (38 votes [35.85%])

Percentage of vote: 35.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

• This Machine Kills Fascists

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:25 AM

Lilly on May 10 2009, 07:53 AM, said:

As to the question of God...I'm an Agnostic Theist myself. I believe (via faith) that God exists, but I concede via reason that I can't prove such.

As a highlight to the diaspora of agnosticism, I am your exact opposite.

I'm an Agnostic Atheist.  I find (via logic) that god does not exist, but I concede via reason that I can't prove such.

Similar sides of the same coin.

Edited by KRS-One, 05 June 2009 - 02:26 AM.

#92    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:20 AM

__Kratos__ on Apr 14 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

Atheists Hells Yeah! grin2.gif lol

I dunno. How can one be so certain that there is no Mind or Ideation behind the unplumbed vastnesses of the Universe? Me, I have enough trouble remembering how far Mars is from the Earth.

#93    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

Leonardo on May 9 2009, 07:35 AM, said:

Where the 3 choices include "There is/are (a) god/gods" = Theist, "There isn't/aren't (a) god/gods" = Atheist and "There might be (a) god/gods, but there might not" = Agnostic, I would ask, how can there be an option outside those choices?

Not saying there isn't, but I can't see how there could be and would be curious to know of one.

Makes me think of the two young Soviet engineers, husband and wife, raised to believe that the Universe came from Nothing, who eventually created an altar in their Moscow apartment dedicated to this very same Nothing.

#94    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,117 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

KRS-One on Jun 4 2009, 08:25 PM, said:

I'm an Agnostic Atheist.  I find (via logic) that god does not exist, but I concede via reason that I can't prove such.

I will have to remeber this and damn I might quote this post from time to time.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#95    Nomran619

Nomran619

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• To thy own self be true

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

I'm an Agnostic and it was a semi-long journey getting here.  I feel knowing the existance or non-existance of something that is suposed to exist outside of time and space is beyond our ability to know at the moment.  To claim you know either way is fantasy.  I view theists and atheists as 2 parts of the same coin.  Since we can only know what is within the world we know anything beyond it is impossible to know.  At least the theists acknowlwedge they base their beliefe on faith and nothing more.  Many of the atheists I encounter in real life and on the net are in denial about the basis of their brand of belief.  When pushed they get down right insulting.  It's one thing to say "I don't believe the god in the bible exist" but quite another to say "This physical universe we experience via the 5 physical senses is all there is" is falling into the same faith built trap theist willingly fall into.  Just because we can't perceive something does not mean there is nothing there.  To someone born w/o sight things like color and light do not exist.  Yet those of us with properly working eyes can detect light and colors and attest to their existance.  People are too quick to claim something is impossible or doesn't exist.  If science has taught us anything it's to never say never.  When you can't really know why do people have such a hard time being honest and saying "I don't know?"

"No matter where you go, there you are." -  Confucius

#96    Nomran619

Nomran619

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• To thy own self be true

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

KRS-One on Jun 4 2009, 10:25 PM, said:

Excellent thinking!  First Atheist comment I can agree with 100%.

"No matter where you go, there you are." -  Confucius

#97    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

"We are all atheist to most of the gods society has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

Richard  Dawkins

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#98    Grams

Grams

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

• Welcome

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Dr. D on May 8 2009, 03:09 PM, said:

I am an agnostic with dyxlesia and insomia.

I stay up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

LMAO    Sorry, can't help myself here.

But haven't you ever heard of a bi*ch in heat?

DOG/GOD   Those Anagrams without vowels.  Now we know what the old Rabbi's sitting around the east gate talked about.  Good example is Jezable. lol

Grams/Lois   grin2.gif

Edited by Grams, 09 June 2009 - 10:39 AM.

Live every minute to the fullest, love and laugh to overflowing.  Life is grand, don't take it for granted.

#99    Eternal Light

Eternal Light

Psychic Spy

• 1,299 posts

• You can get straight A's, but still flunk life.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

Unquestionably Atheist.

You can get straight A's, but still flunk life!

Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday.

#100    Grams

Grams

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

• Welcome

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Magicjax on May 29 2009, 01:03 PM, said:

Looks like most of us either don't believe in a God or can't make up their mind..... Ahum .... I mean are Agnostic. original.gif

Magicjax  Hi,

I resemble that remark.

Old habits beat into you from infancy to adulthood are sometimes hard to eradicate.  Even with knowledge, those old habits try to slip back up on us, I think it's called backsliding. lol

Grams/Lois   yes.gif

Edited by Grams, 09 June 2009 - 10:25 AM.

Live every minute to the fullest, love and laugh to overflowing.  Life is grand, don't take it for granted.

#101    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

For the record, I'm an atheist Hindu (with smatterings of Buddhism and Taoism). As a note.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#102    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

I don't think I even fit in any of these.

If I think that we are all part of what I consider the Source of Everything? This Source is not separate from us or fundamently diffrent from us. Everything we know and everything else there is are only diffrent forms of the very same thing. Everything is connected and fundamentaly made of consciousness which exists as a superposition of various levels (frequencies) of itself which are propotional to it's awarness and freedom. Higher levels of consciousness can manipulate lower levels of consciousness because they are more aware and have more freedom. A never-ending evolutionary process.

So would that mean I'm a theist? Like I said, I don't think we have been created but that everything creates itself within the Everything There Is. Like an Ultimate Theory Of Everything. One equation. One constant. Oneness.

How the hell am I supposed to fit anywhere with this?

Am I;

An Unificationist?

An Onenessist?

An Everythingist?

A Douche?

:unsure:

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#103    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostArbitran, on 13 April 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

For the record, I'm an atheist Hindu (with smatterings of Buddhism and Taoism). As a note.
Some people on here would not consider you religious because atheists cannot be religious...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#104    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,960 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 14 April 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

igous pooper
Some people on here would not consider you religious because atheists cannot be religious...

The definition of atheist is no belief in any god/gods. End of story.
If someone adhears to hindu philosophy without the gods, sure. That doesn't make them religious. According to your other posts, I am a religious gamer, a religious worker,a religious scientist, a religious showerer, a religious sleeper, a religious talker, a religious tv watcher, a religious smoker, a religious driver,a religious reader, a religious internet user, a religious cat petter, a religious eater, a religious clothes putter-on-er, a religious door closer/opener, a religious elevator rider, a religious poope, etc.. If we all go by your previous posts, everything anyone ever does or has or will ever do is religious.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#105    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 14 April 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

The definition of atheist is no belief in any god/gods. End of story.
If someone adhears to hindu philosophy without the gods, sure. That doesn't make them religious. According to your other posts, I am a religious gamer, a religious worker,a religious scientist, a religious showerer, a religious sleeper, a religious talker, a religious tv watcher, a religious smoker, a religious driver,a religious reader, a religious internet user, a religious cat petter, a religious eater, a religious clothes putter-on-er, a religious door closer/opener, a religious elevator rider, a religious poope, etc.. If we all go by your previous posts, everything anyone ever does or has or will ever do is religious.

I made no such claim. I never said that all atheists, or even the vast majority are religious...You have read way too far into things and the fact that you get so offended makes me believe you are a religious atheist, and not just a normal atheist...

If you want to prove your point, quote me. Let's see if I said everthing anyone ever does or has or will ever do is religious...

Edited by HuttonEtAl, 14 April 2012 - 08:14 AM.

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users