Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46    Grams

Grams

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

• Welcome

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

The Worlds Wolf on Apr 23 2009, 09:26 PM, said:

there was a few documentaries on History channel about it. they didnt absolutely say it would happen. but would have a higher chance of it happening then. though of course if it didnt happen it would sure to come years after. as our atmosphere is weakening.

Hi, this is my first post, so if it isn't completely in order, excuse my ignorance.

You can find information on this topic at the History Channel under these titles:

Decoding The Past:  
Biblical Disasters.  
Cults: Dangerous Devotion
Doomsday 2012: The End of Days  
Mayan Doomsday Prophecy  
Mysteries of the Garden of Eden  
Nazi Prophecies.  
The Other Nostradamus.

Live every minute to the fullest, love and laugh to overflowing.  Life is grand, don't take it for granted.

#47    The Worlds Wolf

The Worlds Wolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

• "nature is the only key to history that tells the ideas of the past life." - SG Wolf

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

ive already seen a few of those.

Every question has an answer, every answer has a reason.

#48    Roy Perry

Roy Perry

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

God first

Beloved The Worlds Wolf

God loves you my friends

what if 2012 and our date off and it happens 2009 or 2015?

what life almost dies out and life goes on with rumors  of wars and everything other

what we are not for Christ to come but Christ comes all the time

our death is what we looking for and we change like an butterfly

what 2012 means nothing at all just they did do it pass that date

thank you

with love and a holy kiss Roy

#49    The Worlds Wolf

The Worlds Wolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

• "nature is the only key to history that tells the ideas of the past life." - SG Wolf

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

um... oohh kay. so that didnt make a bit of sence but ok? XD

#50    eionman

eionman

Alien Embryo

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

aquatus1 on Apr 20 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

Prior to asking if this would prove their predictions right, you should first find out what their predictions are.

I think you will be hard-pressed to find actual, first-hand, predictions.  Mostly it's people saying that others predicted these things, but no actual sources to the actual predictions themselves.

Frankly, it gets to the point where you ask yourself "Hasn't anyone predicted anything about 2012?"

Finally someone who agrees with me anyways heres a video that could help some people out on this topic

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...videoid=9182939

Its Penn & Tellers show bull! where they debunk alot of stuff with actual scientific facts to back there theories up

#51    allen_iverson

allen_iverson

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

• If Speed kills, Then I slaughter

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

just because the calender ends doesn't mean it to be the end but a beginning of a new era that's what i think it means a new cycle

Godspeed

#52    The Worlds Wolf

The Worlds Wolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:08 AM

to be a new Era means there has to be an end to the old one yes? what alters will be made are unknown. rather it was something they felt was special then to stop the counting.. or if they just got tired or died before finishing. i always heard the mayans were good with stuff like that and predictions of smaller things.

#53    MeteoricErod

MeteoricErod

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

• "All human beings, by nature, desire to know."

"The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open."

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

The Worlds Wolf on Apr 20 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

Is it me or is it that its not just christianity that predicted the 2012 events.
i mean it seems this whole thing was started off by the Mayan Religion then it seems everyone else was quick to jump in. wouldnt it be odd if it did happen. wouldnt that proove the mayan religion and other pagan beliefs true? also to me it seems most of the events would be caused by our own demise. another thing if christianity has all these events that come one by one um wouldnt the first and second one be enough to wipe out the planet? i find it funny they say that people would gather their armys at the end.. WHAT ARMYS? we would be dead. or too frightened to fight back anyway seriously. im just a bit lost in this idea of events. i think it will be one or two events. mostly one led because of the other. such as astroid hitting then causing cosmic winter like the Jerrasic Era. im not the smartest guy on this topic which is why im questioning.
im still alil skeptical about the definition of how people are defining what will happen. same for it happening in the first place as well.

Uhmm...there is no such thing as a Mayan Religion. The Maya were a race of people. Just thought I should point that out.  grin2.gif

A DAY WITHOUT LAUGHTER...IS A DAY WASTED!!

#54    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

OK just so that we are all clear on what the rapture is and where it came from.  The concept of the rapture, was expressed by the American Puritan father and son Increase and Cotton Mather. They held to the idea that believers would be caught up in the air, followed by judgments on the earth and then the millennium. The term rapture was used by Philip Doddridge (1738) and John Gill (1748) in their New Testament commentaries, with the idea that believers would be caught up prior to judgment on the earth and Jesus' Second Coming. The concept of a pretribulation rapture was articulated by Baptist Morgan Edwards in an essay published in 1788 in Philadelphia.

The Catholic and Orthodox churches as well as the Reformed denominations have no tradition of a preliminary return of Christ and reject the doctrine, in part because they cannot find any reference to it among any of the early Church fathers and find its biblical foundation weak. Some also reject it because they interpret prophetic scriptures in either an amillennial or postmillennial fashion.

So before 1730, the rapture did not exist, the term was unknown in that particular interpretation. Before 1730 it was most certainly not "Christian". Even now, it is only accepted by a scant minority.

Also, Christianity did not predict 2012, you can read the bible thru and thru (the oldest original texts if possible, because they are the purest form possible), you'll find nothing about 2012. You'll find the apocalypse, yes, but there again only signs are mentioned, not a year or anything.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#55    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:45 AM

The Searcher saved me alot of typing by explaining the origins of the rapture, so I'm just going to gloss over Christian predictions and jump into the Mayan thing.

First of all, Christianity does not provide a date for the end of the world. Since the beginning of Christianity, there have been opportunists and madmen claiming that they know the end is coming within their lifetime, citing negative world events and natural disasters as proof that it's just around the corner. Guess what? The world has always been riddled with atrocity, and natural disasters have always happened. Anyone claiming to have the answers is either seriously insane or out to take advantage of gullible people. Sadly, people allow themselves to be fooled time and again because they are so desperate to be a part of something bigger than themselves, or are easily intimidated by what amounts to flawed or non existent logic.

The Mayan civilization never stated that 2012 would be the end of the world. They divided their calendar into "ages", and 2012 is just the end of one such "age". Modern interpretation by the same type of madman and opportunist that tells you the Christian apocalypse is happening next week have created this myth about the end coming in 2012. Why in the world are people taking a calendar created by a civilization that no longer exists as it did when the calendar was created seriously? They created the calendar with the idea that they would be around to use it, didn't they? Apparently, they failed to predict the more immediate problem of the conquistadores that would destroy them and assimilate the survivors into their own culture. Even the modern Mayan descendant doesn't give a flying fig about the Mayan calendar unless they are in an academic setting and studying it in that context. So why should any of us care?

People are so desperate to read into things that simply aren't there that they happily waste their time and money on the books and other material pertaining to this. What's sad is that when 2012 comes and goes, those same madmen and opportunists will find another date and those same people that fell for the 2012 garbage will fall for whatever else they are told.

#56    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Marby on Jul 2 2009, 09:45 AM, said:

The Searcher saved me alot of typing by explaining the origins of the rapture, so I'm just going to gloss over Christian predictions and jump into the Mayan thing.

First of all, Christianity does not provide a date for the end of the world. Since the beginning of Christianity, there have been opportunists and madmen claiming that they know the end is coming within their lifetime, citing negative world events and natural disasters as proof that it's just around the corner. Guess what? The world has always been riddled with atrocity, and natural disasters have always happened. Anyone claiming to have the answers is either seriously insane or out to take advantage of gullible people. Sadly, people allow themselves to be fooled time and again because they are so desperate to be a part of something bigger than themselves, or are easily intimidated by what amounts to flawed or non existent logic.

The Mayan civilization never stated that 2012 would be the end of the world. They divided their calendar into "ages", and 2012 is just the end of one such "age". Modern interpretation by the same type of madman and opportunist that tells you the Christian apocalypse is happening next week have created this myth about the end coming in 2012. Why in the world are people taking a calendar created by a civilization that no longer exists as it did when the calendar was created seriously? They created the calendar with the idea that they would be around to use it, didn't they? Apparently, they failed to predict the more immediate problem of the conquistadores that would destroy them and assimilate the survivors into their own culture. Even the modern Mayan descendant doesn't give a flying fig about the Mayan calendar unless they are in an academic setting and studying it in that context. So why should any of us care?

People are so desperate to read into things that simply aren't there that they happily waste their time and money on the books and other material pertaining to this. What's sad is that when 2012 comes and goes, those same madmen and opportunists will find another date and those same people that fell for the 2012 garbage will fall for whatever else they are told.

Glad to be of service, I got a tad upset when I read rapture = christian, so I thought that the facts should be straightened out.
And good point about the mayan calandar.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#57    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

TheSearcher on Jul 2 2009, 12:05 PM, said:

Glad to be of service, I got a tad upset when I read rapture = christian, so I thought that the facts should be straightened out.
And good point about the mayan calandar.

Thanks. original.gif  It just continually blows my mind that people are so accepting of things just because they are told. They never bother to do the research behind it.

#58    WhiteyAus

WhiteyAus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• Einsteins wrong, He ruined Science!

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

21 December 2012 is the end of one cycle of the long count in the Mayan Calendars. I was told that people are only scared of this end of cycle is because it is the 13th change (13 being the unlucky number), but thats just one theory. I do believe that the mayans did have a larger knowledge of the stars and space than most civilizations especially since they knew certain things without the use of telescopes and such.
The end of the long count cycle is going to offer a new change which i  believe will come from outer space, whether or not it will be the end of the world is up to your own opinion.
Something will happen though

#59    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

WhiteyAus on Jul 6 2009, 05:34 AM, said:

21 December 2012 is the end of one cycle of the long count in the Mayan Calendars. I was told that people are only scared of this end of cycle is because it is the 13th change (13 being the unlucky number), but thats just one theory. I do believe that the mayans did have a larger knowledge of the stars and space than most civilizations especially since they knew certain things without the use of telescopes and such.
The end of the long count cycle is going to offer a new change which i  believe will come from outer space, whether or not it will be the end of the world is up to your own opinion.

Thing is, the number 13 and its unlucky connotations have nothing to do with the Mayan Calendar. The superstition regarding the number started with the Knights Templar before Europe was even aware of Mayans. So, the attachment that people place on the 13th "change" being negative in regards to the Mayan Calendar is completely modern and borne of silly superstition. So right there, the fear that people have of the "change" that they feel is coming in 2012 is unfounded.

A lot of civilizations that came before us had extensive knowledge of astronomy. They also attached a lot of superstitions to it to explain that which they did not understand about their findings. Why should we expect "something" to happen based on the calendar of a civilization that was wiped out/assimilated centuries ago, and whose understanding of astronomy, while pretty impressive, was still wrapped in very unscientific superstition? Why should we expect "something" to happen based on astronomical calculations? It's really no different than believing, as many people used to believe, that an eclipse is an evil omen.

All this hype about 2012 is doing is just that - hype. No one cares about anything else the Mayans did, but that calendar is suddenly so important that it will affect our lives in 2012? Think about it. It is nothing more than a way to make money for a lot of people selling books on the subject.

Edited by Marby, 06 July 2009 - 10:15 AM.

#60    Shego

Shego

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

• "And I'm alive
    I'm God's favorite
    And I'm an angel
    The purest you've ever met"
    - Jyrki 69 (bit me 10/6/09)

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

WhiteyAus on Jul 6 2009, 05:34 AM, said:

They just didn't feel like continuing the calendar.
D:

If you were writing a calendar, you would start to get tried of seeing the same crap every time.  

Over and over each year.

Posted Image

I want a guy with a rich boy standards
Handsome, has it, want it , have it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users