Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61    The Worlds Wolf

The Worlds Wolf

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

• "nature is the only key to history that tells the ideas of the past life." - SG Wolf

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

So yeah im starting to think this is beloney (should of thaught that sooner). if aything was to happen in 2012 screw a Astroid, the worse thing to happen in 2012 Sarah Palin gets president XD.

Every question has an answer, every answer has a reason.

#62    Cadaver

Cadaver

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

I'll be laughing when nothing happens in 2012, and everyone is panicking.

"We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes, but it's beauty can burn in our hearts eternally." -d.d

#63    Llucid

Llucid

τέκνον θεοῦ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

TheSearcher on Jul 1 2009, 04:52 AM, said:

So before 1730, the rapture did not exist, the term was unknown in that particular interpretation. Before 1730 it was most certainly not "Christian". Even now, it is only accepted by a scant minority.

"For all the saints and Elect of God are gathered, prior to the Tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins"
(On the Last Times, the Antichrist, and the End of the World, by Ephraem the Syrian, A.D. 373)

While there is some debate about the above text, some believe that it does show evidence of members of the early church subscribing to a "rapture" event.

"For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words." - 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 (NIV)

It's not important that the word "rapture" is not in the Bible, rather it is the concept that is important. It's a translation thing. The word "Bible" isn't in the Bible either. The word "rapture" is from the Latin word "rapturo" which is derived from the (Greek) verb "caught up" in the above verse. The debate isn't if there is a rapture event or not, rather it is when the rapture event takes place. And for the record, there is more than just a scant minority of Christians that believe in a pre-trib rapture. Around my area, it is the dominant belief. Just look at the popularity of the Left Behind series.

Sorry, just wanted to offer my view of the rapture stuff. As for the year 2012, I will attest that there is no prophecy in the Bible concerning this specific date. Considering that Christians who subscribe to the 70th week of Daniel belief (tribulation), then 2012 can't be the end of the world, since the tribulation hasn't started and it is seven years long. The tribulation won't begin until Israel signs a seven year peace deal with it's enemies.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

#64    Sperivleck

Sperivleck

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

• "The key to joy is disobedience" -Alister Crowley

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:44 AM

I'm going to explain this mildly fast...
The Mayans predicted this event with a stone calendar, as did so called Nostradamus
But.. The Mayans never truly picked a date, they just stopped on that day. Hell, maybe the guy that worked the calendar got tired of it and said **** it, there's enough numbers on here to last out our own existence, im sure future beings will have more technology by then. But not only that, the Mayans were also wiped out by a moronic secondary tribe with clubs and rocks, so basically, if they can predict the end of the world, why cant they see 10 thousand barely clothed men running up the side of the hill? lol
And as for Nostradamus... He was an old man, ho was not only said to be crazy, but also died unexpectedly. So again, predicts the end of the world, but has no idea when even he, himself, is going to die..
Anywho, not saying this disproves the whole theory, just saying its something to keep in mind

There are those who believe that the best view of God, is from Hell.

#65    ValkyrieVoice

ValkyrieVoice

Psychic Spy

• 1,439 posts

• "Bubble, Bubble Toil And Trouble;
    Fire Burn, And Cauldron Bubble.
    Double, Double Toil And Trouble
    Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

The Worlds Wolf on Apr 20 2009, 07:45 AM, said:

Is it me or is it that its not just christianity that predicted the 2012 events.
i mean it seems this whole thing was started off by the Mayan Religion then it seems everyone else was quick to jump in. wouldnt it be odd if it did happen. wouldnt that proove the mayan religion and other pagan beliefs true? also to me it seems most of the events would be caused by our own demise. another thing if christianity has all these events that come one by one um wouldnt the first and second one be enough to wipe out the planet? i find it funny they say that people would gather their armys at the end.. WHAT ARMYS? we would be dead. or too frightened to fight back anyway seriously. im just a bit lost in this idea of events. i think it will be one or two events. mostly one led because of the other. such as astroid hitting then causing cosmic winter like the Jerrasic Era. im not the smartest guy on this topic which is why im questioning.
im still alil skeptical about the definition of how people are defining what will happen. same for it happening in the first place as well.

I truly believe that 2012 will be a spiritual awakening period only. I don't believe it's going to be the end of the world as we know it.

"You Look Up When You Feel The Need For Elevation And I Look Down Because I Am Elevated. ..."

Thus Spake Zarathustra

-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

#66    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

Llucid on Jul 9 2009, 06:34 AM, said:

It's not important that the word "rapture" is not in the Bible, rather it is the concept that is important. It's a translation thing. The word "Bible" isn't in the Bible either. The word "rapture" is from the Latin word "rapturo" which is derived from the (Greek) verb "caught up" in the above verse. The debate isn't if there is a rapture event or not, rather it is when the rapture event takes place. And for the record, there is more than just a scant minority of Christians that believe in a pre-trib rapture. Around my area, it is the dominant belief. Just look at the popularity of the Left Behind series.

I did not say that the bible does not talk about it, I said, the term rapture was used by Philip Doddridge (1738) and John Gill (1748) in their New Testament commentaries, with the idea that believers would be caught up prior to judgment on the earth and Jesus' Second Coming. I also said the Catholic and Orthodox churches as well as the Reformed denominations have no tradition of a preliminary return of Christ and reject the doctrine, in part because they cannot find any reference to it among any of the early Church fathers and find its biblical foundation weak.

If I may ask, what is your area? Because if Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant churches as well as most reformed denominations reject the doctrine as describded, from their dogma, any other christian church following this doctrine is a minority. Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but globally it is.

And what is the Left Behind series? I honestly have never heard of it, sorry.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#67    jordiver

jordiver

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

One question... who said or extracted out the info or how much confidence is there in the dates proposed? i dont know and would like some more info about it, cause ive always read the maya calendar started in -3114 or something like that, how are they so sure when it started to say its the 21th of december or the 23th , etc...?

then only end of the world i know about for sure is when our sun foocks up, all other is just suppositions...

This is a deep thought.... subsoil.

#68    Llucid

Llucid

τέκνον θεοῦ

• 1,139 posts

• "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

TheSearcher on Jul 10 2009, 04:38 AM, said:

I did not say that the bible does not talk about it, I said, the term rapture was used by Philip Doddridge (1738) and John Gill (1748) in their New Testament commentaries, with the idea that believers would be caught up prior to judgment on the earth and Jesus' Second Coming. I also said the Catholic and Orthodox churches as well as the Reformed denominations have no tradition of a preliminary return of Christ and reject the doctrine, in part because they cannot find any reference to it among any of the early Church fathers and find its biblical foundation weak.

If I may ask, what is your area? Because if Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant churches as well as most reformed denominations reject the doctrine as describded, from their dogma, any other christian church following this doctrine is a minority. Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but globally it is.

And what is the Left Behind series? I honestly have never heard of it, sorry.

Well, if one were to specify that the rapture event is "prior to judgment on the earth and Jesus' Second Coming", then you would be correct, only a small percentage of Christians (world-wide) believe this. This actual view of the rapture is known as the pre-tribulation view.

My area is the United States, where I am a Southern Baptist, which is the largest protestant denomination here.

The Left Behind series is a group of novels concerning the rapture. It rests largely on the work of prophecy scholar Tim LaHaye. I am not advocating the accuracy of the story concerning Biblical prophecy, but merely pointing out it's popularity, which has sold over 65 million books in the series. LaHaye's view of the rapture can be described as premillenial dispensationalist pretribulation futurism.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

#69    WhiteyAus

WhiteyAus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• Einsteins wrong, He ruined Science!

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

jordiver on Jul 10 2009, 10:51 PM, said:

One question... who said or extracted out the info or how much confidence is there in the dates proposed? i dont know and would like some more info about it, cause ive always read the maya calendar started in -3114 or something like that, how are they so sure when it started to say its the 21th of december or the 23th , etc...?

then only end of the world i know about for sure is when our sun foocks up, all other is just suppositions...

Well there is alot of confidence about the mayan calendar and in 2012 is the end of their long count, idk if its exactly on 21st of decemeber. IF you want more info about watch Nostradamus 2012 or 2012 science or suspistion. They seemed pretty good but a nostradamus one is a tad biased to the end of the world side (to probably get more ratings).

And yeh one theory is that the sun will fock up and produce solar winds which would fock up our atmosphere, another is that the galactic shift will cause a disrupt in communication and stuff and then obviously which is bound to happen anyway that bad weather condition such as extreme heat, hurricanes, earthquakes and tsunamis and possible volcanoes. Those are the scientific explanations ive heard take from it what you will

#70    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• 1,555 posts

• This Machine Kills Fascists

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

ValkyrieVoice on Jul 9 2009, 12:29 AM, said:

I truly believe that 2012 will be a spiritual awakening period only. I don't believe it's going to be the end of the world as we know it.

That's unfortunate.  Why?

As an aside, do you believe that you will be among those spiritually enlightened or those trampled beneath the socio-political repercussions that such an event would cause and why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users