Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How to disable DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

How can I disable my DVD drive on the computer without actually removing or unwiring the DVD drive from my computer? I think it is sucking alot of my power from my computer so I want to disable it until I need to use it again. If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?

*Ok I found out how to disable it in Device Manager, so can you answer my last question, "If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?"*

Thanks.

Edited by Ashiene, 26 April 2009 - 06:39 AM.

#2    dmurdock36

dmurdock36

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

Ashiene on Apr 25 2009, 11:35 PM, said:

How can I disable my DVD drive on the computer without actually removing or unwiring the DVD drive from my computer? I think it is sucking alot of my power from my computer so I want to disable it until I need to use it again. If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?

*Ok I found out how to disable it in Device Manager, so can you answer my last question, "If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?"*

Thanks.

no the drive will only pull +5v unless it is disconnected check your fan on power supply or get a power supply with a higher wattage I have 4 internal hard drive and two internal dvd writers, I am also running 6 other hard drives via usb and 750 watt power supply is more than enough to run it all

Edited by dmurdock36, 29 April 2009 - 02:01 AM.

#3    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,812 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q9650 + 4 gigs of RAM + 2 internal hard drives + 2 fans + Geforce 8600GT 1gb + 1 internal DVD writer + Windows Vista on 300watt power supply lol.

#4    chemical-licker

chemical-licker

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

cant you go into properties in hardware and disable from there?

#5    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

300watt power supply lol.

blink.gif I wouldn't worry too much about your dvd drive then... If anything it's going to be your card and core that are going to burn out your power supply. Unless you've underclocked them both to make up for the lack of power?

Honestly, just get a new psu as soon as you can. You spent 300+ bucks on a core but 15 bucks on the engine that runs it?

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#6    Superman

Superman

Psychic Spy

• 1,856 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

Why would you have system specs like that.. but only a 300watt PSU?  mellow.gif

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,655 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Superman on May 17 2009, 11:13 PM, said:

Why would you have system specs like that.. but only a 300watt PSU?  mellow.gif

Circuit City had the power supply on special offer?

Edit: to be constructive, the drive does not consume power in a magnitude that would really matter (around 30 watts) unless it writes disks, so I doubt you can save anything by disabling it. The fans to keep your equipment cool use more power.

Edited by questionmark, 18 May 2009 - 12:19 AM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    chemical-licker

chemical-licker

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Thanks.

just pull the power lead out grin2.gif

#9    Eaglelox

Eaglelox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

newegg.com   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817709011

very cheep and would power what you need. i just linked the cheapest one.

It could happen that way.
Eaglelox@hotmail.com

#10    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,812 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

hahaha my technician chose some of the parts and assembled everything for me and i am noob at computer hardware so when i saw the receipt and the PC specs i thought 'OK looks good' but now i realise that my technician (who also owns a computer-assembling company) is even more noob than me because he chose the wrong PSU for me aaahahha i'm gonna ask him to change it to a 550W is that good? or maybe more?

#11    Eaglelox

Eaglelox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

if your not running dual video cards it should be fine. the best way is to add up the power needed.

fans, graphics cards, processor... then get a power supply that is a bit bigger.

make sure whatever you end up with it is the proper Power Pin. prob a 24

Edited by Eaglelox, 21 May 2009 - 01:12 PM.

It could happen that way.
Eaglelox@hotmail.com

#12    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• 1,555 posts

• This Machine Kills Fascists

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

Ashiene on May 21 2009, 07:28 AM, said:

hahaha my technician chose some of the parts and assembled everything for me and i am noob at computer hardware so when i saw the receipt and the PC specs i thought 'OK looks good' but now i realise that my technician (who also owns a computer-assembling company) is even more noob than me because he chose the wrong PSU for me aaahahha i'm gonna ask him to change it to a 550W is that good? or maybe more?

550 is more than fine.  If you go to 500+ make sure that it has a built in fan and that you have additional case fans to keep heat down.  Like the other poster above me mentioned, if you don't use the DVD drive, pull the plug on it.

You seem like a smart user.  Why take the thing in to a technician?  It's easier than working on a car.  Unscrew a couple tiny screws that are very obvious, unplug current power supply from the MB and other drives, put in new power supply, re-screw screws.  A 500-600+ power supply should cost you like $20 total from NewEgg, how much are you going to pay some nerd to mess with your rig?

edit:  heck,  I'll post a step by step for you right here if you really want.  You can change a power supply in less than 10 minutes.  Super easy.

Edited by KRS-One, 08 June 2009 - 02:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users