Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Voodoo ..My religion..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
486 replies to this topic

#1    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:21 AM

I am Papa Midnight

I have been a Houngan for a very long while, I am hoping to spread understanding and love, I want people to understand Voodoo is a commune with spirits not a practice of evil.

Do you know the differance?

A lot of peopel give me grief because they dont understand why I sacrifice a live goat or cut off a chickens head for a ritual, I woudl like to share any thing I can answer here..

Voodoo is a life affirming practice that encourages its participants to better understand the natural processes of life and their own spiritual natures.

Santeria: In the Spanish Islands, the new religion became known as Santeria (the worship of the Saints).

I am going to try to answer any questions so be patient with Papa, as I also have my patients and clients to do each day, I will answer evey question to my best.

Papa

#2    Plainbob13

Plainbob13

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:28 AM

Welcome to UM Papa. I've never heard of a Houngan. Is it like a priest?

#3    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:34 AM

Plainbob13 on May 2 2009, 05:28 AM, said:

Welcome to UM Papa. I've never heard of a Houngan. Is it like a priest?

Thats exactly what it is.

Papa

#4    Plainbob13

Plainbob13

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:48 AM

Papa Midnight60 on May 1 2009, 10:34 PM, said:

Thats exactly what it is.

Papa

I see. ok. So these chickens and goats and furry critters ya sacrifice. What type of rituals do you use these animals in? And what do you use them for after the ritual is over?

#5    EmpressStarXVII

EmpressStarXVII

Government Agent

• 3,705 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

Could you tell us a bit about the Saints? Do they represent anything specific?

Posted Image

#6    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

A little background for those new, it may take Papa time to get to teh questions as I move at my own pace, be patient I have many I help.

The religion of Vodoun as currently practiced bears little resemblance to its ancestral practice. Presently there are an estimated 50 million worshippers worldwide. The central belief of the religion is in spirit possession, through which the gods speak to the devotees only for a short time during the ceremonies. However, the faithful believe that the work of the gods is present in all aspects of daily life, and that pleasing the gods will gain them health, wealth, and spiritual commitment. Vodoun is almost universally practiced in Haiti, but also is practiced in many cities of the United States such as New York, New Orleans, Houston, Charleston, South Carolina, and Los Angeles. In the United States it is recognized as a legitimate religion. The major portion of this article describes Haitian Vodoun.

The origins of the word vodoun, according to etymologists, stems from the term vodu, meaning "spirit" or "deity" in the Fon language of the West African kingdom of Dahomey, which is now Benin, and some parts of Togo West Africa. In the 18th century, the Creoles (whites born in the New World, usually of Spanish or French ancestry or perhaps being of mixed blood), masters of the Dahomean slaves, translated the word into vaudau. The Creole language was derived from French, with distinct African patterns of phonetics and grammar. Eventually from this came various spellings of the word, some which were considered derogatory. Vodoun or Vodoun is preferred by the faithful who not only consider their practice a religion, but also a way of life.

Background link

Papa

#7    Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

• Know in your soul, like your blood knows the way.

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:57 AM

I want to make some bottles for attracting lwa but I don't really know which spirit I want to attract. Is there a sort of, generalized, or all-lwa-encompassing method for a vodou bottle? Also what can I put in the bottle as an offering that I can basically shelve for a long period of time and not have to constantly mess with?
I know Damballah, Ogou, Ghede, and Zaka prefer drinks like sirop d'orgeat(??), rum, rum with peppers, or wormwood but I really don't want a bottle of alcohol or food on my shelf. I am new to all this and don't want to offend any spirit or offer something they don't necessarily like.
Also, is it possible to make one for Kalfu or is he unreachable? And what "practical" offering could I make for Kalfu? And what is Kalfu's veve?

Edited by Pol_Pot_Lives_Again, 02 May 2009 - 05:08 AM.

#8    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

Pol_Pot_Lives_Again on May 2 2009, 06:57 AM, said:

I want to make some bottles for attracting lwa but I don't really know which spirit I want to attract. Is there a sort of, generalized, or all-lwa-encompassing method for a vodou bottle? Also what can I put in the bottle as an offering that I can basically shelve for a long period of time and not have to constantly mess with?
I know Damballah, Ogou, Ghede, and Zaka all prefer sirop d'orgeat(??), rum or peppers, and wormwood but I really don't want a bottle of alcohol or food on my shelf. I am new to all this and don't want to offend any spirit or offer something they don't necessarily like.
Also, is it possible to make one for Kalfu or is he unreachable? And what "practical" offering could I make for Kalfu? And what is Kalfu's veve?

Papa see's you are quite knowledgeable in what you want and really donít need to go to such lengths here, I am very proud of my religion and I do not take it lightly I donít sell potions, I come to speak to people on my views and help bring a prejudiced away from Voodoo as an evil practice and hopefully make some friends. I will give this a simple spell for anyone who just seeks love in their life.  And I can pray a spell of easement for you if you like.

Papa

Edited by Papa Midnight60, 02 May 2009 - 05:08 AM.

#9    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:10 AM

Love Spell

First you must clean your bathroom, clean everything, the mirrors, the counter, the sink...you get the picture.

Then cover all the mirrors in the room with either pink or white sheets.

Next light three white candles and place them around the tub.

Draw a bath and add your choice of bath milk, salts or bath beads. You can even use scented bubble bath or scented soap. You should also but on a mushy love songs CD or just something that means something to you and that person...

Get in and focus on the person that you want called to you. If you don't have anyone in particular focus on what you want in a lover.

Chant "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the ones I choose will wish to stay." While washing your body. Do everything you would normaly do, shave wash your hair...

When your done washing repeat, "Negativity is washed away, I am renewed as of today, Many heads will turn my way, the one's I chooses will wish to stay. I am loved, I am loving, I am love and love myself." Let the water out while repeating this a few times.

Papa

#10    Moon Demon

Moon Demon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

A lot of people give me grief because they dont understand why I sacrifice a live goat or cut off a chickens head for a ritual, I woudl like to share any thing I can answer here..

You need to be prosecuted if you actually do that to animals. I doubt that you actually do though. And I don't know if I would call "voodoo"  a religion.

Edited by Moon Demon, 02 May 2009 - 05:17 AM.

The best way to hide is to blend in

#11    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

OK, maybe that was a bit dramatic on your part Moon Demon, but after any animals are sacrificed they are then eaten. I am sure the processed chickens you or others might eat are killed in a much more inhumane manner.

#12    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:21 AM

Moon Demon on May 2 2009, 07:14 AM, said:

You need to be prosecuted if you actually do that to animals. I doubt that you actually do though. And I don't know if I would call "voodoo"  a religion.

This is my religion, I respect yours donít judge me by mine; I said I was here to show we are a very real and deeply spiritual religion. Yes I do sacrifices but I did not come to discuss this part yet, we are not at that level of understanding yet as I have just got here. You understand. Plus live sacrifices are burnt, there is a ďwaveĒ offering  just passed over the alter for those who want to take the animal home for cooking later.

Papa

#13    Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

• Know in your soul, like your blood knows the way.

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

Basically I just want to know about Met Kalfou (Carrefour?) but am having a hard time finding information on him and from what I've heard, it's not wise to to work with him if you're not well-educated on him or treat him carelessly. And if I invite Kalfou and bad things DO start happening, does that mean that any wanga performed would be ineffective because I would essentially be asking him for a favor anyways? If I make a bottle for him and never ask for a favor, I don't really understand any reason that he could get mad at me, but then again, I am new to vodou and I don't want to make any foolish offerings or mistakes.

Edited by Pol_Pot_Lives_Again, 02 May 2009 - 05:34 AM.

#14    Moon Demon

Moon Demon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

Rosewin on May 2 2009, 06:19 AM, said:

OK, maybe that was a bit dramatic on your part Moon Demon, but after any animals are sacrificed they are then eaten. I am sure the processed chickens you or others might eat are killed in a much more inhumane manner.

Ha ha You are sacrificing live animals, and I am the one being dramatic?
classic

Edited by Moon Demon, 02 May 2009 - 06:07 AM.

The best way to hide is to blend in

#15    Papa Midnight60

Papa Midnight60

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

Moon Demon on May 2 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

Ha ha You are sacrificing live animals, and I am the one being dramatic?
Don't worry, I won't come back to this thread to taunt you. I say let  children play out their fantasies.

I am glad you wont be back if this is how you disrespect someone. I do not think Rosewin is doing any such thing, But if you would like me to I will tell you; its the burst of energy that leaves the animal body when sacrifced that is used for a spell...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users