Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why vampires couldn't exist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

A paper has been published demonstrating the impossibility of the concept of vampires, drawing upon the fact that if vampires were among us then we would have seen a huge population explosion and their food supply (us) would have ran out.

"Two physicists have published an academic paper where they demonstrate, by virtue of geometric progression, that vampires could not exist, since they would almost immediately deplete their entire food supply (a.k.a, all of us)."

View: Full Article | Source: io9.com

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Harriet The Ripperologist

Harriet The Ripperologist

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

• What is sacred? Of what is the soul made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer is love, only love.....

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

That'll upset Twilight fans.

Posted Image
And he began to have it in mind, as so many gentlemen had done before him, to marry a woman of fortune and condition. And, as such things so often happen, these thoughts closely coincided with his setting first sight upon a lady who will henceforth play a considerable part in the drama of his life....

#3    Dezmond

Dezmond

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

Now we need an academic paper considering dragons and their supposed existence. grin2.gif

Posted Image

#4    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

UM-Bot on May 11 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

A paper has been published demonstrating the impossibility of the concept of vampires, drawing upon the fact that if vampires were among us then we would have seen a huge population explosion and their food supply (us) would have ran out.

"Two physicists have published an academic paper where they demonstrate, by virtue of geometric progression, that vampires could not exist, since they would almost immediately deplete their entire food supply (a.k.a, all of us)."

View: Full Article | linked-image Source: io9.com

Hey, Lestat drank from Akasha when there was no convenient food at hand.  Come to think about it, Akasha drank from Lestat as well-- that's how she became animated after her long nap.

I don't see how these people can call themselves scholars when they don't bother consulting the experts before writing a paper.  They should have interviewed Anne Rice.

#5    shaka5

shaka5

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

• I always call people fools for wanting to learn the hard way....When I'm really the fool for tryna teach 'em

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

Its actually sad to see this is what they chose to put their time into..disproving vampires hahahahahahahahahaa...are you serious, next they should prove that the tooth fairy and the predator never existed

I have less compassion than the average human.

#6    REBEL

REBEL

Esoteric Seeker

• 6,559 posts

• ''GONE FISH'N, BRB...''

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

They do exist. Try the local bank/ATM and or even credit union.

#7    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

God, the failure of understanding mythology burns.

Humans aren't a food supply. They're fecking dead, they can't eat. AHHH. People. I hate misunderstandings that could be cured by simple common sense... That isn't even why they couldn't exist. It's because they are DEAD. Good lord.

(Anne Rice can go to hell for all I care about her and her vampires. She killed them just as much as Stephanie Meyer, and they might as well both go hand in hand to see the real creatures they've been trying to portray.)

Edited by Ebonykrow, 11 May 2009 - 12:25 PM.

#8    Juanita Rose Violini

Juanita Rose Violini

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

• I Love Life!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

That was an excellent and entertaining article. While whether physical vampires are myth or misconception may be debatable, emotional vampires definitely exist. Scare tactics and various mind games suck the life right out of a person.

“Don’t wish, Miss Tick had said. Do things.”  - Terry Pratchett

#9    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:08 PM

Harriet C. on May 11 2009, 10:34 AM, said:

That'll upset Twilight fans.

Good. Maybe it'll bring them back to reality.

Ebonykrow on May 11 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

Humans aren't a food supply. They're fecking dead, they can't eat. AHHH. People. I hate misunderstandings that could be cured by simple common sense... That isn't even why they couldn't exist. It's because they are DEAD. Good lord.

(Anne Rice can go to hell for all I care about her and her vampires. She killed them just as much as Stephanie Meyer, and they might as well both go hand in hand to see the real creatures they've been trying to portray.)

thumbsup.gif *applauds*

Posted Image

#10    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Dezmond on May 11 2009, 06:52 AM, said:

Now we need an academic paper considering dragons and their supposed existence. grin2.gif

Shhhh! You're going to open a can of worm!

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#11    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

shaka5 on May 11 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

Its actually sad to see this is what they chose to put their time into..disproving vampires hahahahahahahahahaa...are you serious, next they should prove that the tooth fairy and the predator never existed

Nooo! My bubble! It popped! LOL!

Seriously though, if Vampires did exist and were superior to humans, we'd probably be their cattle.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

UM-Bot on May 11 2009, 02:09 AM, said:

Depends on if they can control weither or not they convert someone to a vampire. If they can control it, then it would be easy to maintain a stable population.

REBEL on May 11 2009, 04:45 AM, said:

They do exist. Try the local bank/ATM and or even credit union.

The Bloodsuckers!!  laugh.gif

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    Hurrikane

Hurrikane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

• https://twitter.com/LouisNorrie

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

Ebonykrow on May 11 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

grin2.gif

Juanita Rose Violini on May 11 2009, 04:43 PM, said:

That was an excellent and entertaining article. While whether physical vampires are myth or misconception may be debatable, emotional vampires definitely exist. Scare tactics and various mind games suck the life right out of a person.

Good point.

I'd like to add that this article fails to draw any logical conclusions as to how they 'define' a vampire (if they exist that is). I feel that the article draws too heavily on Hollywood's portrayal of vampires and has not looked at possibly logical explanations for the myth of the vampire.

#14    Dayne

Dayne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

That's not taking into account "Buffy" and her friends holding down the vampire population.

#15    insanemind

insanemind

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

I think its kinda lame reasons of the many reasons they could of focused on to disprove vampires. I mean really theres self control, maybe they dont convert everyone they feed off, or maybe the many blood banks located all over. Im not saying they exist because they dont but what a hack job. I personally would of disproved vampires by comparing them to say a mosqutio and how much blood they both would need to consume on a daily bases just to aquire the nutriants need to survive. Like mosqutios need x amount of blood according to there body size and a vampire would have to consume x mount of blood for there body size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users