Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tasmanian devils now endangered

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

news.bbc.co.uk)

Australia has lifted protection levels for the Tasmanian devil, the world's largest surviving marsupial carnivore, from vulnerable to endangered.

The devil population, which is found on the island state of Tasmania, has been decimated by a facial tumour disease.

The number of Tasmanian devils in the wild is thought to have fallen by up to 70% since the mid-1990s.

The new conservation status will give the animals greater protection under national environment laws.

Strong action

The devils have been ravaged by an outbreak of facial tumours the size of small golf balls.

linked-image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

She who carries a big sword

• 2,356 posts

• If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. -Woody Allen

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

Heart breaking

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle

Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth.
Stephen Hawking

If you cant laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others. I laugh alot.

#3    edwin_seeker

edwin_seeker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:05 AM

The Tasmanian devils are endangered for a number of reasons. One of them is because the farmers believed that it ate large numbers of livestock and poultry and thus they hunt it. This is also why the Tasmanian tiger died out. Other reasons include that they are often hit by cars as they feed on other road-killed animals.

Presently, there is outbreak of facial tumour disease. It causes facial lesions which increase in size until the Tasmanian devils can no longer eat and becomes susceptible to infections. This also leads to the decline in population. As the Tasmanian devil population decreases, fox population are increasing. These introduced animals hunt and eat young Tasmanian devils. If the numbers of the Tasmanian devil drop too low, then there is little hope that the population will ever recover - those remaining will be destroyed by the foxes.

Edited by edwin_seeker, 12 February 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#4    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks edwin_seeker. Yes, lets hope they don't go the way of he Tasmanian Tiger.

#5    Rhincewind

Rhincewind

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

austrailia need to be captive breeding them so that when the disease is wiped out in the wild, healthy ones can be rereleased.

I am  a geneticly engineared lab mouse bent on taking over the world

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,398 posts

• Beliefs won't make you a better person but your actions will.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

I have read somewhere that these devils are initially getting cancer because they seem to have penchant for chowing down on plastics and Styrofoam at the landfills.
And naturally since they seem to delight in fighting, the bites transfer the cancerous cells.

At least this is what I read was the initial cause.

Sad though, they are kind of neat creatures, not overly cuddly but neat nonetheless.

#7    ali smack

ali smack

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Terrible.
Maybe they should put them in zoos,if that is posible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users