Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

True Blood on HBO

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16    Sho_Sho

Sho_Sho

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

GreytMuse on Jun 2 2009, 12:08 PM, said:

Seriously, the amount of sex in the Anita Blake books gets ho-hum after a while! You're absolutely right! laugh.gif I do enjoy the premise of the books, though -- still among my favorites!  

Have you read Kim Harrison's novels?  Vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, fae and more!!  After most of humanity dies, the others all "come out" to mankind.  Main character is Rachel Morgan, and they are called The Hollows series.  Very funny, very well-written.

No, I haven’t heard of this series of books. I will for sure check it out! It sounds good. I have never been into this genre of books before, but after reading Anita Blake it kind of got me hooked. Im going to go look it up now. Thanks original.gif

I wish I could be as cool as you...and say the things you do

#17    KALASH69

KALASH69

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

• Practice what you preach.

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

Generally I like very classic vampire movies/stories (Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi as Dracula, etc...), none of the newer stuff, say post 1980's, however, True Blood is simply amazing. I haven't got the chance to read the books, but I will soon. I just acquired the bluray set of the first season.

#18    Mr Black

Mr Black

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

• If the Avvie made you smile once, i'm happy

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

didnt think there were many people out here that liked True blood grin2.gif

Gotta say i love it, havent finished watching the first season yet *makes note to go home and finish it*

*WARNING* - Expect typos!

JB FAQ

* I have a dry sense of humour, any sarcasm that offends was not meant to do so.
    * I am a sceptic at heart, however am open minded to new ideas and experiences
    * If i dont reply ive probably lost track of the thread overnight and cannot be bothered to trawl through new posts

#19    Sho_Sho

Sho_Sho

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

KALASH69 on Jun 4 2009, 06:55 AM, said:

Generally I like very classic vampire movies/stories (Nosferatu, Bela Lugosi as Dracula, etc...), none of the newer stuff, say post 1980's, however, True Blood is simply amazing. I haven't got the chance to read the books, but I will soon. I just acquired the bluray set of the first season.

I do think you will enjoy the books. Once I started reading them, I had to go out and ge the next book, I was so cought up in the series. Ive read them all and I cant wait for the next one to come out.

#20    Sho_Sho

Sho_Sho

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Okay, I saw the show over the weekend finally, and I LOVED IT!

Its almost 100% true to the book. The first season matches up with the 1st book, I wonder if they are going to make the 2nd season match up to the 2nd book and so forth? I can’t wait until they get into the characters of Quinn, and Alcide, and the rest of were-animals.

There are still tons of characters that are yet to be introduced, I hope they keep going along with the rest of the book series, does anyone know what the 2nd season is suppose to be like?

#21    aflac duck

aflac duck

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

I watched  the whole series on tvshack.net but I think it's been taken down already.
Absolutely loved it!!!! I went out and bought the first book after finishing the first seasonBut Sho Sho, I don't agree it almost 100% like the book. Sookie's brother and lafayette weren't even main characters in the the book. Also, Tara and the maenad weren't even introduced until the second book. There was no mention on how vampire blood can be an addicting drug (least I don't think, can't remember) so that whole segment of sookie's brother and his new girlfriend didn't even happened in the book. No mention of Bubba in the tv series.
Sorry I'm not trying to pick apart the tv series, but it was very different from the book. I just can't believe they could stretch 12 episodes to cover just one book!!! that's amazing. The tv series still rocked regardless. I'm going to buy my own copy on Amazon soon. I don't know how many sookie stackhouse books exist, but isn't it around 7 novels? wow.... i hope there's seven seasons of true blood.
I just finished book 3, now I need to find book 4!

#22    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,803 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

the14u2cee on Jun 1 2009, 02:29 PM, said:

Love this show, my wife made me watch it one night and i can't get enough...... the characters are the best...   thumbsup.gif

all I can say is they better not kill off lafayette....he is so funny..

#23    KALASH69

KALASH69

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

• Practice what you preach.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Sho_Sho on Jun 4 2009, 01:40 PM, said:

I do think you will enjoy the books. Once I started reading them, I had to go out and ge the next book, I was so cought up in the series. Ive read them all and I cant wait for the next one to come out.

I think I will too, I tried to get them off of my girlfriend but shes waiting to read them in order with the series...

Sho_Sho on Jun 8 2009, 10:13 AM, said:

does anyone know what the 2nd season is suppose to be like?

Alan Ball said that the seasons would correspond with the books with a few slight changes, and season two is supposed to be about Bill and Sookie going to Dallas or something where theres a vampire hunter group? I don't know, thats what I read, so I guess they are leaving Bon Temps.

But, theres less then a week for season 2!

#24    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Sho_Sho on Jun 2 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

No, I haven’t heard of this series of books. I will for sure check it out! It sounds good. I have never been into this genre of books before, but after reading Anita Blake it kind of got me hooked. Im going to go look it up now. Thanks original.gif

I LOVE vampire/werewolf books.  The thing I love about the Trueblood books (Sookie Stackhouse) is that in addition to being a "supernatural" Sookie is so normal.  Anyone who's ever done restaurant work can visualize her work routine EXACTLY.  So you have this character who's having a wild, passionate relationship with a vampire and then a little while later is worrying because one of the beer kegs at the restaurant is close to empty and pumping out too much foam.   It forces the supernatural stuff into the real world.

Here's the beginning of the next Sookie novel Charlaine Harris has in the works, "Dead and Gone":
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  “Caucasian vampires should never wear white,” the television announcer intoned. “We’ve been secretly filming Devon Dawn, who’s been a vampire only for a decade, as she gets dressed for a night on the town. Look at that outfit! It’s all wrong for her!”

“What was she thinking?” said an acidic female voice. “Talk about stuck in the nineties! Look at that blouse, if that’s what you call it. Her skin just cries out for contrasting color, and what is she putting on? Ivory! It makes her skin look like a Hefty bag.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's just... classic.  Slightly like Buffy the Vampire Slayer with reality and the supernatural mixed so completely together.  It's also funny like Buffy.  Charlaine Harris has a great website at http://www.charlaineharris.com  .

Season 2 of Trueblood is supposed to be based on (figures) book 2 of the series, which is "Living Dead in Dallas".  In the books Sookie has a series of relationships, kind of like a regular person dating.  I've heard that HBO is going to change things so that Sookie and Bill are a stable couple.  Has anyone else heard this?  It's hard to picture a version of "Dead in Dallas" with that big of a change.

#25    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:28 PM

Tangerine Sheri on Jun 10 2009, 11:28 PM, said:

all I can say is they better not kill off lafayette....he is so funny..

Hopefully Lafayette will "turn".

#26    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

I've only read the first book, and seen the first two episodes on the internet....

Meh, the book was entertaining, but I didn't like it for the Vampire aspect of it. IMO those aren't Vampires, another typical adaption of the word adding sex to the dead. Ironic I've always wondered how they can have sex when their dead? If their heart does not beat and blood does not pump through their body, how does blood flow to those areas? And if their heart does beat and they have blood, then they ain't dead! And those other stories where Vampires are in fact bloodless yet can still have sex? How do they manage that! But the story itself is fun I guess, though I have to be in the mood for stuff like this.

That's what I liked about Anne Rice, her story was logical in that sense. They certainly couldn't procreate, they were dead.

The tv series is well done, I won't deny that, but probably not really my thing.

Posted Image

#27    Sho_Sho

Sho_Sho

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Siara on Jun 11 2009, 12:27 AM, said:

I LOVE vampire/werewolf books.  The thing I love about the Trueblood books (Sookie Stackhouse) is that in addition to being a "supernatural" Sookie is so normal.  Anyone who's ever done restaurant work can visualize her work routine EXACTLY.  So you have this character who's having a wild, passionate relationship with a vampire and then a little while later is worrying because one of the beer kegs at the restaurant is close to empty and pumping out too much foam.   It forces the supernatural stuff into the real world.

Here's the beginning of the next Sookie novel Charlaine Harris has in the works, "Dead and Gone":
  “Caucasian vampires should never wear white,” the television announcer intoned. “We’ve been secretly filming Devon Dawn, who’s been a vampire only for a decade, as she gets dressed for a night on the town. Look at that outfit! It’s all wrong for her!”

“What was she thinking?” said an acidic female voice. “Talk about stuck in the nineties! Look at that blouse, if that’s what you call it. Her skin just cries out for contrasting color, and what is she putting on? Ivory! It makes her skin look like a Hefty bag.”
It's just... classic.  Slightly like Buffy the Vampire Slayer with reality and the supernatural mixed so completely together.  It's also funny like Buffy.  Charlaine Harris has a great website at http://www.charlaineharris.com  .

Season 2 of Trueblood is supposed to be based on (figures) book 2 of the series, which is "Living Dead in Dallas".  In the books Sookie has a series of relationships, kind of like a regular person dating.  I've heard that HBO is going to change things so that Sookie and Bill are a stable couple.  Has anyone else heard this?  It's hard to picture a version of "Dead in Dallas" with that big of a change.

Oh I hope they don’t make Bill and Sookie a stable couple. That would pretty much un-do the entire series of books. In my opinion, the appeal of Sookie is that she has these tumultuous relationships with several different "men". The tension she has with Eric, and Then, Alcide, then Quinn. They can’t continue to stay true to the books if they keep Bill and Sookie together.

In the end I hope Bill and Sookie get together, but Charlaine Harris has yet to make that happen. I wonder if this series will change the direction of her next book?

I am really looking forward to the 2nd season.

Edited by Sho_Sho, 11 June 2009 - 03:31 PM.

#28    Sho_Sho

Sho_Sho

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

aflac duck on Jun 10 2009, 11:18 PM, said:

I watched  the whole series on tvshack.net but I think it's been taken down already.
Absolutely loved it!!!! I went out and bought the first book after finishing the first seasonBut Sho Sho, I don't agree it almost 100% like the book. Sookie's brother and lafayette weren't even main characters in the the book. Also, Tara and the maenad weren't even introduced until the second book. There was no mention on how vampire blood can be an addicting drug (least I don't think, can't remember) so that whole segment of sookie's brother and his new girlfriend didn't even happened in the book. No mention of Bubba in the tv series.
Sorry I'm not trying to pick apart the tv series, but it was very different from the book. I just can't believe they could stretch 12 episodes to cover just one book!!! that's amazing. The tv series still rocked regardless. I'm going to buy my own copy on Amazon soon. I don't know how many sookie stackhouse books exist, but isn't it around 7 novels? wow.... i hope there's seven seasons of true blood.
I just finished book 3, now I need to find book 4!

You’re right, there are some differences, I guess I meant that the story line is pretty much the same, buy you’re right..Lafayette, and Tara aren’t even main characters, and the vampire blood that Jason takes doesn’t seem to have the same effect on Sookie when she takes it from Bill, so it seems like there are some contradictions when it comes to the blood. I guess we can only wait and see what they are going to do next.

We will see this Sunday. original.gif

#29    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,611 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

Sho_Sho on Jun 11 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

We will see this Sunday. original.gif

Thanks, I was just going to ask when the new season starts.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#30    Dark Wolfie

Dark Wolfie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• "Life is not about fearing the storm, it is about learning to dance in the rain..."

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:29 AM

It is a bunch of Vampire wanna be Hillbilly s!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users