Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your favourite books on the Paranormal

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1    Bokenobi

Bokenobi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:27 PM

So just wondering what everyones favourite Fortean books are as I want to increase my reading base and hate wasting time on awful books.

Two of my personal favourites are Chambers Dictionary of the Unxplained and The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel.

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

The Allagash Abductions

Hunt For The Skinwalker

Mysterious Valley

Those are three of the best I've read so far.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    Lady ma'at

Lady ma'at

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

My favorite ones are the ones buried behind novels and how to books in charity stores...I have amassed a hug collection that way. :-)

#4    WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

WARRIOR FOR THE LIGHT

Poltergeist

• 2,313 posts

• It is good to give him thanks and praise...

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

Emanual Swedenborg's     "Heaven and its wonders and Hell"  its very educational but very deep and written in old time terms and language style....

#5    Dalton O. M. Sihite~

Dalton O. M. Sihite~

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

The Weird 100 - Steven Spignesi
Unexplained! - Jerome Clark

The Weird 100 is my favorite, I've read it multiple times

#6    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

• "What is divinity if it can come
    Only in silent shadows and in dreams?"
    --Wallace Stevens

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

I recently picked up a hardback copy of the Reader's Digest "Mysteries of the Unexplained" (1990) for a mere 50 cents at the library book sale.  I enjoyed the book immensely.  It's divided into sections about different kinds of paranormal phenomena, from monsters to miracles, and cites the sources for its retellings of various stories, some of them old, some new.  It's also got a lot of illustrations and photographs, which always liven up a "coffee-table book."  Page 176 has an excellent little precis about "mind creatures": tulpas, yang-tuls, and nying-tuls--a subject in which I'm interested.

#7    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

CausticGnostic on Jun 5 2009, 04:56 AM, said:

I recently picked up a hardback copy of the Reader's Digest "Mysteries of the Unexplained" (1990) for a mere 50 cents at the library book sale.  I enjoyed the book immensely.  It's divided into sections about different kinds of paranormal phenomena, from monsters to miracles, and cites the sources for its retellings of various stories, some of them old, some new.  It's also got a lot of illustrations and photographs, which always liven up a "coffee-table book."  Page 176 has an excellent little precis about "mind creatures": tulpas, yang-tuls, and nying-tuls--a subject in which I'm interested.

I agree...but my book is much older than that....They must have rereleased it at a later date.

We got it when I was just a kid (back in the 70's), and I can remember my siblings and I fighting over who would get to read it.  

It's become kind of a family heirloom, as we pass it around from family to family....It probably started my interest in these types of topics.

Edited by supervike, 05 June 2009 - 01:41 PM.

#8    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Shadow World by Brad Steiger.

#9    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Titanic's Deck Swab

• 5,604 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

Anything from frontier times of spiritualism/psychical research (usually 1870's+): Sir Oliver Lodge, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Prof. Sedgwick, F.W.H. Meyers, Harry Price, then the pioneer of lab psi experiments, J.B. Rhine, and then other somewhat more contemporary works such as William G. Roll's stuff on poltergeists.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#10    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

• "What is divinity if it can come
    Only in silent shadows and in dreams?"
    --Wallace Stevens

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

supervike on Jun 5 2009, 01:40 PM, said:

I agree...but my book is much older than that....They must have rereleased it at a later date.

We got it when I was just a kid (back in the 70's), and I can remember my siblings and I fighting over who would get to read it.  

It's become kind of a family heirloom, as we pass it around from family to family....It probably started my interest in these types of topics.

Yeah, the copy I got is the 9th printing, with the copyright date of the 1st printing given as 1982, but that itself as probably a new edition of an older version.  Reader's Digest, like TIme-Life, constantly updates its bestsellers.  IN fact, Time-Life came out with a whole series of books on paranormal subjects back in the 80s.  The only one I got was the one on sacred places, though.  sad.gif

#11    MsKatsipoulis

MsKatsipoulis

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Ghosts among us - James Van Praagh

Read It and loved it, then passed it on to my father who has alot of experience with the paranormal and he said its a brilliant read- he can identify with most of what is said in the book. I was pleasantly surprised to hear this.

Warning- Its an addictive book, once you pick it up you wont want to put it down.

If you read, hope you enjoy and get as much out of it as i did original.gif

****DONT TELL ME THE SKY IS THE LIMITS WHEN THERE ARE FOOTPRINTS ON THE MOON****

#12    Korbus

Korbus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

• "Truth is a Pathless Land." -J. Krishnamurti

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

Paranormalcy on Jun 6 2009, 03:38 AM, said:

Anything from frontier times of spiritualism/psychical research (usually 1870's+): Sir Oliver Lodge, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Prof. Sedgwick, F.W.H. Meyers, Harry Price, then the pioneer of lab psi experiments, J.B. Rhine, and then other somewhat more contemporary works such as William G. Roll's stuff on poltergeists.

Yes, thank you!

I'm always trying to advocate that people read and learn from the people who created this field.  Harry Price is one I'm always trying to get people to check out.  Loyd Auerbach, too.  Check out anything about Harry Houdini's investigations into spiritualism.  

Thanks again!

I honestly tried to read Plato's Republic, but it's all Greek to me.

Fortean Squirrel

#13    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

• Today is tomorrows yesterday, and yesterdays tomorrow.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

Lore of the Land - a guide to englands legends. Its a good read and contains many (but sometimes breif) descriptions of legends in England, i found most of them fascinating! Its worth a look.

#14    cheo_vl

cheo_vl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

• "the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:24 AM

cryptozoology A to Z by loren coleman and jerome clark is a must have, willy ley's exotic zoology is an under-rated book, it has a great amount of info on mythic animals/plants/islands, including their history and possible explanation, a very good read

#15    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,032 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

cheo_vl)

cryptozoology A to Z by loren coleman and jerome clark is a must have

Agreed, for anyone with an interest in cryptozoology this book is a must-have. The Locals by Thom Powell is another good book for those with an interest in the Bigfoot phenomenon, as is Loren Coleman's Bigfoot! The true story of apes in America.

I've read quite an assortment of paranormal books and also reviewed a few for the site that can you find
cryptozoology A to Z by loren coleman and jerome clark is a must have

Agreed, for anyone with an interest in cryptozoology this book is a must-have. The Locals by Thom Powell is another good book for those with an interest in the Bigfoot phenomenon, as is Loren Coleman's Bigfoot! The true story of apes in America.

I've read quite an assortment of paranormal books and also reviewed a few for the site that can you find
here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users