Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Your favourite books on the Paranormal

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61    Promethius

Promethius

Transient

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

• Knowledge is Power

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

I've not delved too deeply into paranormal books. Scientific, humerous and philosophical works ar my usual haunt. However, I'm currently on "Chariots of the gods" by Erich Van Daniken. I also often dip into the Chambers "Dictionary of the Unexplained"

#62    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

Personally Haunted by Gracie Hatchet, it's funny and touching but will scare the socks off of you while being informative.

#63    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

Late at night when there's nothing on TV, I sit in my living room reading - in the dull glow of the lamp - a large, hardback book I received last Christmas.

Posted Image

Called "Haunted Britain" (2010), by Richard Jones, each double spread concerns itself with a particular haunted building or location.  For each location the text, which also covers each double spread, first starts off with the history of the building or location (such as a mine), such as when it was built and by whom, who lived there and any events of note which occurred there, before going on to tell you all about the hauntings which have occurred, or still do occur, at that place.  There are several colour photographs of the exterior and interior of each of the haunted buildings and, for each location, there is a haunted rating, with one ghost symbolising not very haunted and ten ghosts symbolising extremely haunted.  There is also the address of each place and its website should you ever want to visit it and maybe see a ghost!  The book is divided into regions, such as North West, South East, London, Midlands, Scotland, Wales, etc.

Places included in the book include stately homes, ancient castles, pubs, inns, coaching houses, hotels, farmhouses, cottages, aircraft hangars, tin mines and stone circles.  Some are well-known, such as Bolton's Ye Olde Man and Scythe inn, which dates back to the 13th Century, and some less well-known.  There is also a foreword by none other than Doctor Who himself, Tom Baker.

Here's what someone wrote on waterstones.com -

With its wealth of historic buildings where wars were fought and history made, Britain has been the scene of political undoing, bloody beheadings and cruel torture for centuries. Little wonder, then, that many corners of Britain have a resident ghost or some other supernatural presence. Ghosts have also been detected in many of Britain's stately homes and castles, its ancient inns, theatres, farmhouses and cottages: Haunted Britain reveals the sites of nearly 100 throughout the country. From the most famous ancient sites to lesser-known recently haunted buildings, each location has been painstakingly researched. Featuring more than 200 colour images, Haunted Britain reveals the compelling history behind every apparition. Divided into 7 regions, each with its own locator map, a quick-reference list shows whether the site is open to the public. For those who wish to see a ghost themselves, the list indicates how spooky each place is, on a scale of one to ten. Dotted throughout the book are features on some of the more lighthearted apparitions that have been known to appear in Britain's historic places - mischievous fairies and elves, malevolent hobgoblins and mournful black dogs.

http://www.waterston...ritain/7652573/

This is Richard Jones's 17th book on the ghosts of Britain and he has travelled the length and breadth of this Spectred Isle researching and collecting ghost stories.  In the introduction to "Haunted Britain" he joked that he may have ended up being a ghost himself when he often found himself negotiating Britain's slippery roads in his car during the harsh winter of 2009/10 whilst conducting research for the book.

Jones wrote this poem whilst sitting on the windswept ramparts of an old haunted castle in 1999.

Hauntings.

By Richard Jones.

In screaming woods and empty rooms.

Or gloomy vaults and sunken tombs.

Where monks and nuns in dust decay.

And shadows dance at close of day.

Where the bat dips on the wing.

And spectral choirs on breezes sing.

Where swords of ancient battles clash.

And shimmering shades for freedom dash.

Where silver webs of spiders weave.

And blighted lovers take their leave.

Where curses lay the spirits low.

And mortal footsteps fear to go.

Where death holds life in grim embrace.

It’s lines etched on the sinner’s face.

Where e’er the march of time is flaunted.

Voices cry “This place is haunted.”

Copyright 1999 - 2009. Richard Jones.

Edited by Blackwhite, 29 May 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#64    know_doubt

know_doubt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Probably something from my buddy Dean Radin...

#65    Coralie

Coralie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:03 AM

The International Directory of Haunted Places: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, and Other Supernatural Locations by Dennis William Hauck. This is the international version of Hauck's other ghost book. There's nothing about  ghost and their stories in America, but there are over 700 entries on famous haunted sites and their ghosts from all around the world.

Phone Call from a Ghost and Real Ghosts by Daniel Cohen.

#66    Red Moon

Red Moon

Angry werewolf girl

• 2,102 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

This:

http://www.projectar...al-Wolfmen1.png

Being tough is the new square.

#67    Ifonly

Ifonly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

• It is the dim haze of mystery that adds enchantment to pursuit

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

The Lore of the Land, covers everything from black shuck to witches but i think you would have to be English to fully appreciate it.

Richard Ellis  Monsters of the Sea,covers most things wet and weird.

#68    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,135 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

The Exorcist

http://en.wikipedia...._Exorcist_(film)

Edited by docyabut2, 23 August 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#69    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Far Traveler

• 3,202 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

The Eighth Tower and Morning of the Magicians.

#70    FollowTheTrail

FollowTheTrail

Female Body Inspector

• 2,519 posts

• A cool and nice guy!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

A book, that i would surely recommend, is ''America's great unexplained mysteries'' by E. Randall Floyd.

It recounts many legends as well as supernatural and psychic phenomena, that have taken place in the American continent throughout the past centuries (Lemurians, the Bermuda Triangle, Mount Shasta's 'Mystic Village' and many more).

I strongly recommend it. It's one of the best books i've ever read in my life :)

Even in the darkest of times there's always a trail, which leads to the light!

#71    hannah-s

hannah-s

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• light one candle, don't curse the darkness.
    http://light-onecandle.blogspot.co.uk

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

Non fiction, try Colin Wilson and Lyall Watson, serious scientific studies rather than sensationalism. Fiction, Mark Chadbourn's has gotta be the best

#72    Neo-Rex

Neo-Rex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

american monsters: history on monster lore and legends

#73    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

EternalSeer

• 3,874 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

I have a long list, but I mostly read about the unexplained online, where I can research things from all directions.

My favorites on demonology are "Hostage to the Devil" by Malachi Martin & "The Demonologist" by Ed & Lorraine Warren..These two were the most real on the subject I've found, and as terrifying to me as they were-after a certain experience I had leading to picking them up- I couldn't put them down.

"Anatomy of a Haunting" by Lee Strong is a horrifying yet heart-breaking experience related to a haunting... Addicting read.

"The Mothman Prophecies" by Keel is one of my favorites as well.. There is something about it that creeps up on you and relates.

Those are a few of them I thought might strike some interest, I don't want to sit here and list all of them because that would be a page in itself.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#74    noahcooperaus

noahcooperaus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:26 AM

Hi,i like  to read books. My  favourite book is Three mistake of my life writen by chetan bhagat (an indian author). I always read this book when i feel free.

#75    Red Moon

Red Moon

Angry werewolf girl

• 2,102 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

I loved reading "The Most Amazing Haunted & Mysterious Places in Britain" from Readers Digest. It included some pretty gruesome historic accounts as well as weird ghost and other bizarre things.
"Mystery Bigcats" by Merily Harper was very good.
"Real Wolfmen" by Linda Godfrey was an eye opener.
I have "Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain" on my bookshelf. It's a brilliant encyclopedia of mystical events across the UK. It's a very old book and it belonged to my grandad who passed it onto me.

Edited by Red Moon, 20 December 2014 - 08:17 AM.

Being tough is the new square.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users