Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A reason we havent found life...

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#136    MeteoricErod

MeteoricErod

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

badeskov on Jul 21 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

And why exactly do you think that the Government has any say in this? Or how much do you think NASA has to say? To reiterate, most of the analysis is done outside of NASA, by independent researchers at various independent research institutions. They have no incentive to keep it secret and under such type grants there is typically no way to force them to do so.  

There still seems to be this illusion that NASA and/or the Government still has all-reaching control. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Or maybe there simply is nobody visiting us and whoever is out there is so far away that we cannot detect them with the means we currently have available.

Cheers,
Badeskov

You do make some very good points. Like I said in my original post...maybe extraterrestrial life is just too primitive at this point and does not have the means to travel across the cosmos to visit us. This ET might simply just be microbes on some far off planet or maybe there is a civilization out there but they aren't as advanced as we assumed them to be. They might only have the technology to travel within they're solar system. The possibilities are endless...

A DAY WITHOUT LAUGHTER...IS A DAY WASTED!!

#137    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,649 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

MeteoricErod on Jul 21 2009, 04:20 AM, said:

You do make some very good points. Like I said in my original post...maybe extraterrestrial life is just too primitive at this point and does not have the means to travel across the cosmos to visit us. This ET might simply just be microbes on some far off planet or maybe there is a civilization out there but they aren't as advanced as we assumed them to be. They might only have the technology to travel within they're solar system. The possibilities are endless...

There are a lot of possibilities. As you also mentioned, they could be so advanced that they don't emit radio waves of any significance that we can detect and if they indeed passed by Earth, maybe we were of no interest to them so they moved on. Who knows? wink2.gif

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#138    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,215 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

I still think the answer to the question  "Where is everybody?" lies in the distance factor. What if the closest advanced life in our galaxy happens to be over on the other side? Let's say they are only 30,000 light years from us (the farthest stars in the milky way are apx. 95,000 LY from us). This means that it takes the light emitted from that particular star 30,000 years to visually reach us. And light is the fastest moving thing there is...apx 300,000 Kilometers per second! The distances are literally mind boggling. I highly suspect that ET is simply too far away from us.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#139    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,649 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Lilly on Jul 21 2009, 04:48 AM, said:

I still think the answer to the question  "Where is everybody?" lies in the distance factor. What if the closest advanced life in our galaxy happens to be over on the other side? Let's say they are only 30,000 light years from us (the farthest stars in the milky way are apx. 95,000 LY from us). This means that it takes the light emitted from that particular star 30,000 years to visually reach us. And light is the fastest moving thing there is...apx 300,000 Kilometers per second! The distances are literally mind boggling. I highly suspect that ET is simply too far away from us.

Lilly, while the options are endless, I would agree with you. It would be my suspicion that ET is simply too far away to both be detected and to "drop by" to visit.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#140    MeteoricErod

MeteoricErod

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

Lilly on Jul 21 2009, 07:48 AM, said:

Agreed!! and that's to say that they're even in our galaxy!! The numbers truly become mind boggling once you factor in the distances of other galaxies...especially the ones that aren't in our neck of the woods.

A DAY WITHOUT LAUGHTER...IS A DAY WASTED!!

#141    Widdekind

Widdekind

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

• women say 'Horoscope'
    men say 'Prophesy'
    all apes receive the same gist
    heavenly Mono-Theism
    the Good Cop is a (very) good Cop

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:17 AM

View Postmcrom901, on Jun 26 2009, 11:12 AM, said:

i found this article to be very interesting..... though a bit off-topic....... i hope you enjoy it.....

Gaia's evil twin: Is life its own worst enemy?

booooom

Thanks for the link !

This author's own humble attempts to argue for an "Evolving Gaia" hypothesis:

http://www.geoscienc.../ftopic582.html

Edited by Widdekind, 08 August 2009 - 02:22 AM.

2 kinds of people -- conspiracy nuts, and those in the know (who usually just don't care)

#142    Godsnmbr1

Godsnmbr1

The Bee's Knees

• 2,317 posts

• There's someone in my head
    but it's not me

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:49 AM

I think it's insanely arrogant to assume that human beings are anywhere other than median.   Our entire civilization has taken place within the tiniest fraction of the universe's life and you think we're somehow out in front?  Just because we don't know about them?  Insane.

Remember, we are all just acting out a grand old game here, where we agree to forget who we really are, that in the remembering, that we may find each other again, and know that we are One. That All of Life, is One.

#143    Widdekind

Widdekind

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

• women say 'Horoscope'
    men say 'Prophesy'
    all apes receive the same gist
    heavenly Mono-Theism
    the Good Cop is a (very) good Cop

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

View PostGodsnmbr1, on 08 August 2009 - 02:49 AM, said:

I think it's insanely arrogant to assume that human beings are anywhere other than median.   Our entire civilization has taken place within the tiniest fraction of the universe's life and you think we're somehow out in front?  Just because we don't know about them?  Insane.

You could construe the Cosmological Principal as essentially saying, "I'm a mediocre kind of creature, on a mediocre world, orbiting a mediocre sort of star, in a common kind of galaxy, in a typical type of place in the Universe."

In 1584 AD, Giordiano Burno, a Dominican monk, published On the Infinite universe and worlds. Bruno had, a decade earlier, fled from his Naples monastery, and enjoyed a peripatetic European existence. But in 1592 AD, he imprudently returned to Italy -- lured, it is thought, by the hope of a professorship at Padua which instead went to the young Galileo -- and fell into the clutches of the Inquisition. He was imprisoned in Rome for his "obstinate & pertinacious heresies". In February 1600 AD, he was burned at the stake in the Campo de Fiori, Rome, where he is now commemorated by a fine Bronze statue [trophy?].

Among Bruno's conjectures was the following: "There are countless constellations, suns, and planets; we see only the suns b/c they give light; the planets remain invisible, for they are small & dark. There are also numberless Earths circling around their suns, no worse and no less this globe of ours". In the last years of the 20th century, his prescient belief was vindicated -- there are, assuredly, planetary systems around many other stars.

Bruno had a further conviction: "No reasonable mind can assume that heavenly bodies, which may be far more magnificent than our, would not bear upon them creatures similar, or even superior, to those upon our human Earth".

Martin Rees. Our Cosmic Habitat, pp. 19-20.

2 kinds of people -- conspiracy nuts, and those in the know (who usually just don't care)

#144    Scorpion777

Scorpion777

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

We have found life. But, as always, we normal people are kept in the dark.

#145    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostD1CKY D1AMOND, on 11 June 2009 - 08:15 PM, said:

<!--quoteo(post=2927310:date=Jun 11 2009, 09:39 AM:name=MeteoricErod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MeteoricErod @ Jun 11 2009, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2927310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do believe that there is life on other planets. I refuse to believe that out of the billions of planets in the universe...we would be the only one to have life on it.

However, maybe the reason we havent found SPACE FARRING civilizations NEAR US is because there are none. I'm sure there's life elsewhere in the universe
but maybe they're not as advanced as we would think. They could be at the same level of intelligence as us humans or maybe they may be even more
primitive such as our early prehistoric ancestors.

Maybe life on other planets isn't a highly cultured civilization but maybe it's just "animals" with the intelligence of an ordinary dog which obviously don't have the intelligence to even leave their own atmosphere let alone travel great distances across the emptiness of space to locate other civilizations.
We wouldn't be able to detect life on a planet that has life with this level of intelligence unless we have super powerful telescopes that can pear through
the atmosphere and zoom in close enough to the surface that we can view such creatures...but it's highly unlikely.

I bet there are many more planets with "animalistic life" in the universe than there are space farring technological civilizations.
Of course, I'm sure there are highly intelligent beings somewhere in the cosmos but they sure aren't anywhere near us.

I dont know if I made any sense. I'm sure there are many other possible reasons as to why we havent made contact yet but I just
had this idea and thought I would share it with everyone.

Do you guys have any personal beliefs as to why we havent made contact yet????

Oh, and I'm new to the site so sorry if I messed up on something. Nice to meet you guys!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have come to the belief that there are no such things as space faring super advanced civilizations and instead put forward that the only life forms capable of not only unlocking FTL but surviving deep space travel are non biological.

I have to agree with this completely, I believe that space travel would be impossible for any biological being, but that said, you can not rule out the mechanical.  It could be possible for an advanced Artifical Intelligence to make its way across the universe, stopping to mine the correct materials for reproduction, from different planets, meteors or comets.  Unless of course "they" can fold space, or are interdimensional beings, that can slide.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#146    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 5,095 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

View PostScorpion777, on 15 January 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

We have found life. But, as always, we normal people are kept in the dark.

But you happen to know The Truth, right?

Science isn’t about truth and falsity, it’s about reducing uncertainty ~ Brian Nosek

#147    Scorpion777

Scorpion777

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 15 January 2010 - 04:20 PM, said:

But you happen to know The Truth, right?
Im not alone in this, so it is not me. I dont own the Universe, neither all knowledge, but just think about it. We are still discovering new species everyday here on Earth, the Universe is vast, it would be silly to think that we are the only planet with life.

And Im not even thinking about the paranormal activies we've encounter so many times plus Governments hidding secrets.

Edited by Scorpion777, 15 January 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#148    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,649 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

View PostScorpion777, on 15 January 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

Im not alone in this, so it is not me. I dont own the Universe, neither all knowledge, but just think about it. We are still discovering new species everyday here on Earth, the Universe is vast, it would be silly to think that we are the only planet with life.

So it is you opinion. Make no mistake, I share you opinion. However, an opinion is still all that it is and has to be recognized as such.

And Im not even thinking about the paranormal activies we've encounter so many times plus Governments hidding secrets.

And which hidden secrets might that be as pertaining to this topic?

Cheers,
Badeskov

#149    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,031 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

I too Love the writeings of Giordiano Burno We cannot be all there is,That indeed would be a Great waist of Space.
As for Little old E.T and His FTL ships who really knows ?
Its good enough to Know that we are trying to Explore our Universe! :rolleyes:

Attached Thumbnails

• Shop Oct 23 005 UFO.jpg

This is a Work in Progress!

#150    Stratocaster

Stratocaster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 21 July 2009 - 12:56 PM, said:

Lilly, while the options are endless, I would agree with you. It would be my suspicion that ET is simply too far away to both be detected and to "drop by" to visit.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Or they could be pretty damn close to us but have no means to travel outside of their given solar system. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users