Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Face at UTMB Galveston

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    NME_locus

NME_locus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

• "My job as a skeptic is not to deny the paranormal, but to flush out the fakes so that we focus on the claims worthy of being authentic."

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

I'm not going to debate on this and don't know if there's been publicity on it. who knows and who cares. it's more of something that would be better if you come and see it yourself.

There's many stories to it, but the one I was told was the a man gave this chunk of land to her daughter and made her promise to never sell the land. Well, she did to the University of Texas and Galveston Texas and ever since, her fathers face shows up on the wall. They have sandblasted it but it keeps coming back. The weird part that people can't debunk is that the same face comes back on different parts of the wall. This is a multi floor building so it's difficult to play a hoax especially since this building is alway under watch. Galveston itself is spooky, known for Americans largest natural disaster known the " The Great Storm of 1900 " where more them a few thousand people died in  a hurricane.
linked-image

Here's the link with more photos: UTMB Ghost Face

#2    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

• "What is divinity if it can come
    Only in silent shadows and in dreams?"
    --Wallace Stevens

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Well, I don't know about the "face."  It just might be some kind of discoloration in the stone (or concrete) that people interpret as a face due to pareidolia.

As for the Hurricane of 1900 that struck Galveston, it leveled Indianola and killed an estimated 50,000 people, dragging most of the bodies out to sea, from which they were never recovered.  We ought to keep that in mind every time people call Katrina a "major" disaster.  Yeah, people died in New Orleans, but with all the modern warning systems available, they could have gotten out.  The people in Indianola didn't have those advantages.  They had no idea what was coming--a 20-foot storm surge and 135 mph winds--and even the resident "meteorologist" was clueless.  If you don't believe how catastrophic that storm was, watch the History Channel program "Isaac's Storm," which has some appalling photographs of the aftermath.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

#3    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

She who carries a big sword

• 2,356 posts

• If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. -Woody Allen

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

NME_locus on Jun 19 2009, 01:32 PM, said:

I'm not going to debate on this and don't know if there's been publicity on it. who knows and who cares. it's more of something that would be better if you come and see it yourself.

If you didnt want debate why post it? tongue.gif

Im not sure I see a face, but it could be. Id love to see a few shots with different lighting on it. Interesting pic and story though, thanks for the posting.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle

Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth.
Stephen Hawking

If you cant laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others. I laugh alot.

#4    NME_locus

NME_locus

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

• "My job as a skeptic is not to deny the paranormal, but to flush out the fakes so that we focus on the claims worthy of being authentic."

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

MirrorImage on Jun 19 2009, 10:15 PM, said:

If you didnt want debate why post it? tongue.gif

Im not sure I see a face, but it could be. Id love to see a few shots with different lighting on it. Interesting pic and story though, thanks for the posting.

Ahhh...okay... fair enough. It could be a just marking that looks like a face.... but why does it move? from the first to second floor. Problem is, there's too much of it going on to be that simple. I'd rather not believe in this stuff. That's why I have not been on UM for years.

Here's the link to more picture: UTMB Face

Edited by NME_locus, 19 June 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#5    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,980 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

I see a face, but is there any pic's of the face in a differnt possition (as you say they have sand blasted it away before)?? It would be interesting to see if the faces look similar

#6    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

• 2,356 posts

• If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. -Woody Allen

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:25 AM

NME_locus on Jun 19 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

Ahhh...okay... fair enough. It could be a just marking that looks like a face.... but why does it move? from the first to second floor. Problem is, there's too much of it going on to be that simple. I'd rather not believe in this stuff. That's why I have not been on UM for years.

Here's the link to more picture: UTMB Face

Attached are the other photos from the website listed above. I see something that is TOO clear, TOO identical between the images. FOr some reason Im reminded of the pics of the "devil face" pics from 9/11
linked-imagelinked-image

Attached Thumbnails

• pic_20three.JPG
  • pic_20two.JPG
  • utmbfacesm.jpg

Edited by MirrorImage, 20 June 2009 - 05:29 AM.

Aristotle

Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth.
Stephen Hawking

If you cant laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others. I laugh alot.

#7    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

I can't personally see the face, but the story is interesting if the same 'pattern' is believed to keep returning in different spots.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#8    Veliska

Veliska

Investigator

• 2,581 posts

• The unknown is what people are really scared of.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

I don't know but the pic looks kinds weird....the texture of the face does not match the wall....plus the human face is easly found in just about anything....its a common error....unless it is like blinking its eyes or opening a shutting its mouth...now THAT would be weird....lol

Posted Image

www.myspace.com/veliska28

#9    Silent Winds

Silent Winds

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:27 AM

It does appear to be a face, but the mind naturally plays tricks on people..espcially when it comes to faces. To prove this, disturb some dust and take a picture of it..each dust spec will appear to have a face.

Still though..that is creepy blink.gif

Edited by Silent Winds, 21 June 2009 - 04:29 AM.

" The best things in life is often those that look as if they can not be done."

#10    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

seems like a impish grin.

but...as usual..a case of pareidolia!

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#11    NME_locus

NME_locus

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

The Spartan on Jun 21 2009, 09:38 AM, said:

seems like a impish grin.

but...as usual..a case of pareidolia!

Possibly so, but it's weird to see it. It's so common, that you can go see it for yourself. Just thought I'd share. I haven't been on here in forever, ever since I have my to my own conclusion that paranormal is no longer real to me.

#12    sweetn_low

sweetn_low

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

I can clearly see an old man's face as well. I think the story would be more credible if there were pictures of the "face" in different locations, not the just the one that is available. If the face did in fact move to another location after being cleaned and it looked exactly the same then it could possibly be considered paranormal not just paradolia.

Thanks for sharing the story, interesting.

Amanda original.gif

Posted Image

#13    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I was interested until I saw the size of it - it's bigger than a car!

A ghost is repeatedly "drawing" a self portrait on a building that is 10x bigger than life? I don't buy it. I'd like to see pics of when it moved.

Edited by Moonie2012, 22 June 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#14    Pythia

Pythia

Psychic Spy

• 1,995 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:46 AM

link to similar story
Similar, but not quite the same. This is very interesting, thank you for posting it!
I'll keep looking for more pics of the face.

Edited by Pythia, 23 June 2009 - 03:50 AM.

#15    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

• 2,356 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

http://www.southtexasparanormalsociety.com...vestonface.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nsaum/140702242/

Aristotle

Stephen Hawking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users