Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

The Official Wrestling Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6587 replies to this topic

#31    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:12 PM

Okay! I'm back all you Seraholics! (Jericho mark, as you know, so I'm allowed to rip him off).

And, as usual, this is the first thread I plunge into...so let's begin tongue.gif

looks like I'm not the only one

Bradshaw isn't being pushed because he's talented tongue.gif He's being pushed for the same reason the Big Show, or A-Train were pushed - because they're "hosses", and it's a well known fact that Jim Ross, and to lesser extent Vinnie himself, love to build their product around guys who look like they're big enough to eat the ring.

Bradshaw's a brawler, not a wrestler, and not a very good one at that. He works too stiff, doesn't sell, doesn't know one end of the microphone from the other, and makes a very pale shadow indeed of the great worker he attempts to copy, a man who used a lariat as a finisher because he made it look good, unlike Bradshaw, who uses it because it's the only move he knows.

i hate Kurt Angle ... i dont like his attitude and style, and his erm, interesting wrestling uniforms... he just really, really bugs me... I like HHH so much better.

As I've said before, I'm coming round to Triple H a little more...he's picking up his game a little (no pun intended), and has at least dropped the title (to my man Benoit no less)....but he's still far from world class anymore, and saying you prefer him to Angle is kinda like saying you'd rather have salt in your coffee than sugar.

Last month, Jericho came to my nearby Wal-Mart lol

You are so lucky that I must kill you disgust.gif

Does anyone have Smackdown:Here Comes the Pain for PS2???
If not, i highly suggest you go out and get it, It is amazing.The graphics are good, the gameplay is good, and the CAW Mode is AMAZING!!!

Yes tongue.gif My fav game right now...clocked more time on it than I do online (which is saying something). My three main CAWs have maxed out stats by now...everyone else is on 9ish. If you want, PM me and I'll give you the formulas for making some of them, you can gimmie yours too.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#32    The Krow

The Krow

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:25 PM

Well, I don't wanna give away the stats for all 25...I'll PM you later with some of them...

I have morals, they're just subject to revision as the situation dictates.

Myspace...

This Is The Cancer From My Cellular Phone
That Emits Radiation Which Destroys My Brain
This Is The Cancer From My Television Screen
Which Reports The Danger While It Does The Same
So Can We Free Ourselves, From The Threat Of Death

Posted Image

#33    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:39 PM

On the subject of wrestling games

The long awaited "booker sim": Total Warfare Revenge, has recently been released by 400softwarestudios. Developed by Adam Ryland, the creater of the fantastic shareware EWR series, the game builds on the best elements of the origonal, making it well worth the price for the release version.

If you're a fan of booker sims, it's worth seeking out (as it IS a release version of the game, giving a link would be advertising, and the link would probably get taken down...so I'll just give subtle hints tongue.gif) The price is about 34, which comes out at about 19 I believe (not too up to date on the exchange rates). If you don't wanna fork out, EWR is a free download; great game, though nothing like as awesome.

Just do a google search, you'll find it: "Total Warfare Revenge" and "Extreme Warfare Revenge".

2003 AWARDS

It occured to me that, although we did a "top ten wrestler" type thing in the old thread, we didn't do any award thing for last year...so I thought I'd do one now tongue.gif The catagories are...

Male Wrestler of the Year
Female Wrestler of the Year
Tag Team of the Year
Overall Best Performer of the Year
Biggest Impact of the Year
Rookie of the Year
Worst Wrestler of the Year
Most Under-Used Wrestler of the Year
Most Over-Used Wrestler of the Year
Manager of the Year

Everyone give a shout for your picks tongue.gif Here are those of the Sera One...

Male wrestler 2003: It's very hard to pick against Kurt Angle...to come back from a broken neck, and still perform at the world class level that he does is something nobody has ever managed to do. Stone Cold toned himself down a little, while you'll find Benoit is now far more ground based...Kurt came back to german suplexes, 60-minute matches, and 5 star outing after 5-star outing. He didn't lose a step from his injury, or if he did, he's not showing it. Kurt Angle remains, by far, the best all rounder in the world today, possibly ever, and there's no doubt he did a lot to bring the industry through its 2003 sump.

Female Wrestler 2003: Victoria...she's very technically sound, and has managed to take a potentially lame gimmick and actually make it good. I'm not fond of her current face turn, but as a heel in 2003 she really made the woman's division. For the first time, fans were less interested in "puppies", and actually expecting a solid outing in the women's matches. She also managed to teach Trish Status the meaning of "match psychology" tongue.gif

Tag Team 2003: While I maintain Los Guererros are probably the best tag team the WWE has ever had, you've just got to love team of Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin. Both of them are great in ring talents...not too flashy on the mic, but have managed to really establish themselves in the ring. I don't recall ever seeing them have a bad match, even against...*shudders*...Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn..they really deserved their lengthy title reign, and I do hope they'll go onto good things in a singles environment today.

Overall Best Performer 2003: Eddie...can't NOT be Eddie. For a very long time, he was by far and away the most entertaining guy in Smackdown. A world class wrestler, great on the mic, and having long deserved the push he's now getting. Eddie, next to Paul Heyman, perhaps helped the WWE survive 2002-2003 more than anyone else, and if anyone else got this award, it just wouldn't be justice!

Biggest Impact 2003: Although it's true that Brock's debut was pretty early on in 2002...or was it late 2001...doesn't matter...he really was the cornerstone of Smackdown for all three of those years. Although he did get a bit stale when he constantly fueded with Kurt (great matches just...overused), he did change the face of wrestling for a long time, for better or worse. He was the WWE's poster boy in 2003, no doubt.

Rookie 2003: John Cena...although he floundered at first with the rapper gimmick, he really found his niche with it, and is one of the best mic workers on Smackdown now. Great look, great in ring skills, and bears the distinction from Randy Orton in that, unlike Randy (as much as I like the guy) Cena got HIMSELF over...rather than getting over by being booked in favourable conditions. Cena's a great example of a guy who was just so entertaining the WWE had no choice but to push him, much like Eddie tongue.gif The way things are shaping up, Cena's gonna get the "biggest impact" award for 2004...

Worst Wrestler 2003: Mark Henry...the worst wrestler in the company, bar none. My feelings about Mark Henry are no secret, I just can't stand the guy, but I've no doubt that, when he gets back from injury, he's gonna get pushed to the moon...hell they're pushing BRADSHAW for crying out loud, and he doesn't even have a big return to give the fans a reason to cheer (or, indeed, care).

Most over-used wrestler 2003: I'm kinda torn between A-Train and the Big Show...although I've decided, instead, to go with Kevin Nash. A-Train didn't main event...the Big Show had some good matches with Brock...but Nash not only main evented at something like 3 or 4 consecutive pay-per-veiws, but doesn't have a good match to his name. His fued with Triple H was pathetic, he was the dead weight in the elimination chamber, and his terrible performance really cheapened the Hell in a Cell match. Nash can't work, either in the ring or on the mic...we're glad he can't wrestler anymore, oh yes we are...

Most under-used wrestler 2003: I was gonna say the Hurricane, but instead went with Paul London, who we never even saw on tv that year disgust.gif And have managed to catch a brief glimpse of about...what? Twice on smackdown this year?

Manager 2003: If it was 2002, it would easily have been Paul Heyman...but instead, I gotta go with Teddy Long...as much as I hate the gimmick he's been landed with, he's entertaining in his own way...more than the other managers in the WWE right now anyway dontgetit.gif Although, if they'd actually USE Steven Richards more, he could really be something special...look at what he did for the unbelievably stupid "Right to Censor" angle...he made it funny!

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#34    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:16 AM

Sure Brashaw is a stiff wrestler, but he is working hard not to be, once Jerkaholic was on the stiff wrestlers list and he work hard to get off it, so I'm sure Brashaw can do the same to

Spaceflight News - UM's Sister Site - Join Us

It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'
Do I look like a freakin' people person?
All Things Wrestling Forum
Arts, Crafts N Gardens Forum

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#35    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:31 PM

To be honest, Bradshaw working stiff (I saw working in the loosest possible sense) is the least of my worries tongue.gif There are plenty of great workers like Homicide and Steve Corino who work pretty stiff, let alone some of the guys in Japan who work strong style or King's Road style; although granted, unlike Bradshaw, although they work stiff, they're still careful not to do anything outright stupid that would injure their opponent.

My problem with Brashaw stems from the fact that he can't wrestle tongue.gif At all tongue.gif Not in the slightest tongue.gif He has no concept whatsoever of match psychology, doing an almost Goldbergesque, repetative drawl of running right over his opponents, no selling everything they do, and having about as much of a story to match, as there is to the average episode of the tellytubbies.

You're free to like Brashaw if you like tongue.gif I'm not stopping you...but I'm still gonna take every chance I get to tear him apart when he botches up; unfortunately for Mr Bradshaw, this is very frequent indeed. The WWE's horrible handling of the number one contender situation has led my to want to vomit, and I'm very much hoping Eddie will carry Bradshaw to at least a passable match, Bradshaw will be shuffled back to the undercard, and we can have someone fueding with Eddie who isn't a complete waste of air time.

On a sidenote, I'm not sure how they're going to make a main event of it...I don't think Bradshaw has a 20 minute match in him, let alone a 30 minute one; unless Eddie does 90% of the work (which he probably will at that), Bradshaw's gonna be looking very red and sweaty after about 10 minutes.

Edited by Seraphina, 13 April 2004 - 12:34 PM.

Posted Image

#36    The Krow

The Krow

Psychic Spy

• 1,275 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:18 PM

Male Wrestler of the Year
Female Wrestler of the Year
Tag Team of the Year
Overall Best Performer of the Year
Biggest Impact of the Year
Rookie of the Year
Worst Wrestler of the Year
Most Under-Used Wrestler of the Year
Most Over-Used Wrestler of the Year
Manager of the Year

-Chris Benoit: Who had a better year, then Chris Benoit...Entering first in the Royal Rumble, Winning the royal rumble, Winning the Wrestlemania tripple threat match...
-I'm gonna have to go with Victoria too...She was a good wrestler...and she was hot...did you see her recent outfits??? Beyonce, move over...
-Los Guerreros...they were good, too good...
-Best Performer:Definately Eddie...One of the best wrestlers, an incredible gimmick, the fans LOVE him...what more to say?
- Biggest impact is lesnar...he was an extremely important part of smackdown...
-Rookie is Cena...no doubt...
-Worst Wrestler is definately Mark Henry...
-Under-used is Ultimo Dragon...Treated like a GOD in Japan, Treated like crap in WWE...I suggest a return to Japan...
-Over used is A-train...without a shadow of a doubt...
-Manger is Teddy Long...B'le dat playa

Myspace...

Posted Image

#37    The Krow

The Krow

Psychic Spy

• 1,275 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:35 PM

Well, my birthday is approaching, and on June 8th...SMACKDOWN comes to my hometown...which also means that Mr. Foley will be stopping at my birthday party...I'll be sure to grab some pics and post them!!!

Myspace...

Posted Image

#38    Open Grave Deity

Open Grave Deity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Dementia @ Mar 23 2004, 09:36 AM)
Uh..from what iv seen on smackdown!..most of these matches have already been done in the past, for a second i actually thought this post was a month old (no offence though).
WWE, is serious trouble in regards to their storylines which have become really weak over the years. With the recent loss of Brock, Rock(wont be making any appreance this year), Goldberg(who cares), Farooq, and a few others, the rosters for both shows are weak, especially smackdown!.
This was probably the very reason why Vince called for redrawing both the rosters.

I was there for the ride of the "Attitude" era, which was by-far the BEST era EVER. haha. I modelled my whole life around it, dude. Well, not so much anymore, but you know what I mean.

Can anybody here remember 'The Rock's' original name when he first entered the WWF? It was Rocky Johnson, right? I'm not testing, I'm trying to remember.  tongue.gif . Mankind and Steve Austin were my fricken child-hood heroes. Seriously. I can remember all the way back to when D-Generation X started, although the memory is blurry.

Anywayz, long story short, the Attitude era ruled, and will forever be remembered.
\m/ original.gif \m/

#39    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:24 PM

I was there for the ride of the "Attitude" era, which was by-far the BEST era EVER

I agree...the age of "ruthless aggression" has thus far been a very dry, mediocre to crap period for the industry. During the era of Attitude, when the big three were still in full swing, all three had to work hard to try and stay ahead of the game tongue.gif Now the WWE is a little...hmm...they're doing whatever they want, instead of what the fans want, because even their closest competitor isn't anything like a realistic threat.

Some things are improving...after all, even in the golden age of Attitude, Chris Benoit, Eddie and Kurt Angle weren't in the main event scene grin2.gif

Can anybody here remember 'The Rock's' original name when he first entered the WWF? It was Rocky Johnson, right?

Rocky Johnson is the name of the Rock's father, in turn the son in law of wrestling legend Peter Mavia, where both wrestlers in the (then) WWF.

Strickly speaking, the first name he wrestled under was his real name: Dwayne Johnson, in his first ever match against the Brooklyn Brawler at a house show. However, when the Rock first started wrestling properly after a failed football career, he was sent to OVW, and there wrestled as "Flex Kavana".

The name you're thinking of, however, is "Rocky Mavia". The creative team decided that he'd get the best reaction if he combined his father's and grandfather's names, as some kinda nostalgia trip. The Rock was against this for a while, prefering to ride his own wave into the industry, but eventually relented.

He wrestled as Rocky Mavia for several years, the character of "The Rock" eventually surfacing (and naming himself) in a promo during his first fued with Stone Cold Steve Austin, for the Intercontinental Championship...though the name may have been flying around for a little while before that.

Posted Image

#40    The Krow

The Krow

Psychic Spy

• 1,275 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:58 PM

The Attutide Era was, by far, the best...I based my life around Foley...and I still do...by the way, Cactus Jack did some pretty fudged up matches in japan...my god its so brutal...

Myspace...

Posted Image

#41    Open Grave Deity

Open Grave Deity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Seraphina @ Apr 15 2004, 01:24 PM)
I was there for the ride of the "Attitude" era, which was by-far the BEST era EVER

Can anybody here remember 'The Rock's' original name when he first entered the WWF? It was Rocky Johnson, right?

Rocky Johnson is the name of the Rock's father, in turn the son in law of wrestling legend Peter Mavia, where both wrestlers in the (then) WWF.

Strickly speaking, the first name he wrestled under was his real name: Dwayne Johnson, in his first ever match against the Brooklyn Brawler at a house show. However, when the Rock first started wrestling properly after a failed football career, he was sent to OVW, and there wrestled as "Flex Kavana".

The name you're thinking of, however, is "Rocky Mavia". The creative team decided that he'd get the best reaction if he combined his father's and grandfather's names, as some kinda nostalgia trip. The Rock was against this for a while, prefering to ride his own wave into the industry, but eventually relented.

He wrestled as Rocky Mavia for several years, the character of "The Rock" eventually surfacing (and naming himself) in a promo during his first fued with Stone Cold Steve Austin, for the Intercontinental Championship...though the name may have been flying around for a little while before that.

Thanks, man. I remember when The Rock and Austin had a ladder match, I think it was. You see, now that I actually want to think about this stuff, my mind can't remember a damn thing. sad.gif . I remember The Rock used to hang out with Farooq and Bradshaw back in the day though, right? That's when his hair was all messed up. lol. My favorite era for The Rock was when he was a heel in Team Corporate. He fricken ruled, man. Team Corporate was awesome, too. Vince McMahon was the perfect 'bad guy' for Austin, IMO. He was just a cowardly little man who did whatever he wanted, and I loved it. haha. We All Did.

What's your favorite moment of the Attitude era? I have many, my friend. I watched when Austin was kicked right in the chin by Shawn Micheals, which was one of the most exciting matches, I think. That's when Austin won his first World Title, eh? I watched it at my uncles' house, and my uncle wanted me to leave because he hated me. lol. Another of my favorite moments is Owne Hart and Ken Shamrock's fight in the 'Lion's Den,' or something. Have you ever had that Ankle Lock Submission done on you? I had it applied on me once, and I couldn't walk for a week, dude. Seriously. It hurts.
Good Times.

The Attutide Era was, by far, the best...I based my life around Foley...and I still do...by the way, Cactus Jack did some pretty fudged up matches in japan...my god its so brutal...

I had a video of Cactus Jack over in Japan fighting with . . . . . I can't think of his name! The really old guy with the striped black and white leotards!  blink.gif !!! Anywayz, they were using fire and barbed wire and thumb tacks and nails and everything, dude. It was fricken brutal. Another moment of Mick Foley was when The Rock slapped his head thirty-some times with that chair at the Royal Rumble. I can't remember what year it was, though. I bought that video and I showed the video to my Dad, and he said it was pretty harsh. Speaking of Mick Foley, didn't Dude Love fricken rule?!?! lol. He was awesome, man. Seriously. When we used to backyard wrestle, I would 'pretend' I was Mankind. I even sewed some leather up like his leather that he puts on his finger. I actually made my friend gag and puke with that move. haha. It was good times.

As you can see, I enjoy this subject very much. haha. I just wish they hadn't of gone down hill like they have recently . . . itz actually quite sad. sad.gif  

#42    The Krow

The Krow

Psychic Spy

• 1,275 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

I was in school, and Mick Foley was there...I asked him for his sock...he gave it to me and  signed it...I took my sock, that i'd been wearing all day...and stuck it down some random kids throat...he puked...i laughed...

Myspace...

Posted Image

#43    LisaMHD

LisaMHD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Open Grave Deity @ Apr 16 2004, 03:28 AM)
. I remember The Rock used to hang out with Farooq and Bradshaw back in the day though, right?                     
The Rock "hung out" with Farook for a short time when Farook was the leader of The Nation of Domination. D-Lo Brown and Mark Henry were members of The Nation for a while also. Cant remember all the members names though.

If memory serves me right, Farook hooked up with Bradshaw and became The Accolytes(SP?) , and started working with the Undertaker, wreaking havvock on everyone.  

Edited by LisaMHD, 17 April 2004 - 05:16 AM.

I will forever believe that anythings possible, no matter how crazy or unexplainable.

#44    IrishBlood

IrishBlood

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful...but I'd pick soccer over anything wrestling related... thumbsup.gif  

#45    Open Grave Deity

Open Grave Deity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (LisaMHD @ Apr 17 2004, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (Open Grave Deity @ Apr 16 2004, 03:28 AM)
. I remember The Rock used to hang out with Farooq and Bradshaw back in the day though, right?
The Rock "hung out" with Farook for a short time when Farook was the leader of The Nation of Domination. D-Lo Brown and Mark Henry were members of The Nation for a while also. Cant remember all the members names though.

If memory serves me right, Farook hooked up with Bradshaw and became The Accolytes(SP?) , and started working with the Undertaker, wreaking havvock on everyone.

That's right about the 'Nation of Domination.' That was a big gang, wasn't it? Bradshaw and Farooq did team up to form The Accolytes, and were the Undertakers' henchmen, but then after that dried up they became the "A.P.A.," as in the 'Accolytes Protection Agency.' They were stale during this period, IMO.

One team I was never into was the Hardy Boys. I just never was into their 'style' and 'image.' They was just too new for me, because I was mostly into the old school of that era. I was even hurt when they started changing the enterance area (up at the top of the ramp.). Damn, I still remember when Austin was knocked out from Shawn Micheals up there. That was a cheap shot if there ever was one, too.

Seriously, man: Itz my favorite topic.   wub.gif

don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful...but I'd pick soccer over anything wrestling related...

Right . . . . . . .disgust.gif  . . .  . . . .  .but I was never into Soccer, nay could I play soccer that good. You wanna talk sports lets talk about floor hockey. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Open Grave Deity, 17 April 2004 - 11:10 AM.