Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Very strange sound heard near the woods

Blade_Rain

I stepped outside at about 2:00 a.m. in the morning to go retrieve the paper at the end of my driveway (I'm not sure why the paper was there, it wasn't there earlier :/ ). I stayed out there for a little bit just to enjoy the nighttime air.

Not long after, I heard a strange noise.

Phonetically, it sounded like 'Whaaaa,' or 'Waaaaaa.'

The sounds were quick, a little more than half a second in length. It sounded like the whoop of an animal, but that wasn't my first thought. When I first heard it, I swore it was a human, some guy calling out or something. Then, I heard it again in the exact same pitch, tone, and length. It started out kind of low, then very quickly rose in pitch. They were about five or so seconds apart.

After looking out towards the woods for a few seconds, not out of fear but out of caution, I headed back in. I've never heard a human, let alone any type of animal that I'm aware of, make a sound like that, or even similar. My brother suggested it may have been a bird like an owl or something, but owls hoot. It wasn't a dog or fox or a wolf, because I would have heard howling or barking. I thought for a second, maybe I was just hearing things. But the sound echoed and was the echo you would hear if something made a sound in that part of the woods. It was very real, as far as I could tell.

It sounded both inhuman and inhuman at the same time. I'm really not sure what the hell it was, or what animal would make that sound.

If anybody can clarify what I heard or what that was, or know what animal it may have been, please help me out.

Thanks.

The noises were probably a mountain lion or some sort of cougar. They can OFTEN imitate sounds of crying babies, so I don't see how making a "waaaa" sound would be much more difficult.

I forgot to add that I live in central Delaware. :P

There are no lions, cougars, or big cats here that I know of. This place is pretty flat and unsuitable for those types of animals.

To be honest, the whooping sound was kind of like the sound a monkey might make when hooting, but there are also no monkeys here :/

So I'm still lost...

Foxes also sound like a baby crying and very human, we hear them all the time.

neighbors trying out the new v1agra prescription

Edited by midnight rider
  • Like 1

check out all kinds of owl calls, they make some very strange noises

I heard something similar while camping once. Sounded like a woman screaming, each sound lasted about 3 seconds though.

What you heard was an animal. Not all animals make the same sounds. Make a recording of it next time if you're quick.

WalkingDude20 used what I was going to say. Mountain Lions/Cougars do tend to make a "whining" sound like those of a crying baby.

That's pretty strange. When I was little, my dad used to work at a radio station and me, my brother, and my mom would stay at my grandma's house until midnight and then go pick him up. One night we left out of the house and when we got to the car, I saw a small four-legged "animal" that was all white. It arched its head back and made some sort of "whoop" sound and then walked back around the house. I didn't really think much of it because like i said, i was only like 8 years old or so, but I do wonder what kind of animal that's pure white would make such a noise.

Foxes also sound like a baby crying and very human, we hear them all the time.

Yeah I have to agree foxes do make some pretty weird noises, scared the crap out of me when I first heard them.

fox calls

Listen to some of these, but especially the second one "fox calling out".

Hope This helped.

Edited by jakersHD

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm going to do some research to see if I can find any commonalities with any other animals. To be honest, we've had a fox problem around here lately (one passed about two feet in front of my bedroom window a few nights ago and then ran away), but I've never heard what they sound like.

Again, to be honest, it'd be cool if it wasn't any known animal.

I've examined the sounds a bit, and found no similarities between what I heard and a fox. What I heard was a distinctly male, human like cry, that sounded animal as well. The cries of a fox reminded me of it, but what I heard was far too distinct to be a fox.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Blade Rain,

I know the old boy has not been mentioned in your story and your responses. So I won't say a word either.

http://www.bfro.net/

Delaware sightings,.....2

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=de

The recorded sounds to compare to what you heard...

http://www.bfro.net/REF/bfmedia.asp

Have a go and let us know. LOL :tu:

MK Cody in Indiana ^_^

We've had almost as many sightings reports recorded at the ole BFRO as Idaho! :yes:

Yeah I have to agree foxes do make some pretty weird noises, scared the crap out of me when I first heard them.

fox calls

Listen to some of these, but especially the second one "fox calling out".

Hope This helped.

Foxes sound freaky, like a woman crying..

I stepped outside at about 2:00 a.m. in the morning to go retrieve the paper at the end of my driveway (I'm not sure why the paper was there, it wasn't there earlier :/ ). I stayed out there for a little bit just to enjoy the nighttime air.

The sounds were quick, a little more than half a second in length. It sounded like the whoop of an animal, but that wasn't my first thought. When I first heard it, I swore it was a human, some guy calling out or something. Then, I heard it again in the exact same pitch, tone, and length. It started out kind of low, then very quickly rose in pitch. They were about five or so seconds apart.

After looking out towards the woods for a few seconds, not out of fear but out of caution, I headed back in. I've never heard a human, let alone any type of animal that I'm aware of, make a sound like that, or even similar. My brother suggested it may have been a bird like an owl or something, but owls hoot. It wasn't a dog or fox or a wolf, because I would have heard howling or barking. I thought for a second, maybe I was just hearing things. But the sound echoed and was the echo you would hear if something made a sound in that part of the woods. It was very real, as far as I could tell.

It sounded both inhuman and inhuman at the same time. I'm really not sure what the hell it was, or what animal would make that sound.

If anybody can clarify what I heard or what that was, or know what animal it may have been, please help me out.

Thanks.

might of been a jack rabbit or something

sometimes when being chased they sound like a crying baby...

incase you say " there are no jack rabbits in delaware"

there is always the chance that someone might of had one as a pet that escaped.

Could be a panther, they make many different noises, like a baby crying, old woman screaming and the such.

Thanks.

It could be a baby deer... they sound almost like a baby crying sometimes....

Have any of you people living near the woods (especially the guy who was camping at the time) considered that these sounds in all possibility could actually be a woman screaming?

Reminds me of the time my friend had been woken up by strange screaming sounds coming from the bush ... they put it down to cats. A couple of days later some mother and her kids picking flowers found a young woman's body dumped in a drainage ditch down the road :hmm: ... So as you can see, strange sounds shouldn't be dismissed as merely 'wild animals'. Just sayin'.

• 2 years later...

First time poster. Just registered hoping to get confirmation from blade_rain... I know this thread is really old but I just came across this today. It was near where I grew up in Northern Alberta, Canada (no I am not Wolverine, and no we don't have rocky mountains up there).

I don't know hot to embed or post properly on message boards. I'll try to add media though:

Hope that works. If not, I'll try adding the link:

and if that doesn't work, here is the link all by itself:

Blade_Rain, is this what you heard???

Foxes make a range of human noises so I believe it could be that. Also, on an episode of Finding Bigfoot, one of the experts said the most common mis identification of a bigfoot scream or howl was a type of owl. It does not hoot. Makes a scream or howl noise.

Thanks.

It reminded me of the filipino Wak-Wak black bird:
I'm also from the Philippines, the Aklan Province. I am also very much familiar with the stories of this creature we call "Wakwa...k". In fact, I've heard it several times; usually late at night or nearing dawn, about 4 am. I've never heard it during the day. I have also tried to convince myself that it could just be a kind of nocturnal bird. But the strange thing about it is the location of each sound when you hear them; they are heard usually from above and rarely on the ground. The first "Wak!" may be perceived to be at about 300 to 700 meters away from the second "Wak!" sounding. quite a distance for any bird to cover in just "1 to 2 seconds!". Not only that, the sound may be repeated 2 times at the least and may be heard 6 to 7 times at the most; each sound varies in loudness and location (Which may sometimes triangulate) adapting the distance I've stated earlier. There was a time even, when I was awoken by it, 4:00am. It was too loud!, like, the creature was just a few feet away from outside my bedroom! It repeated, i guess, 7 times. at the seventh sounding I decided to take a look. I peeked at my window; nothing. so I decided to go out of the house with a Bolo(Machete)in my hand. I saw nothing, nothing ran or flew away. So what was that? I'm sure its not an ordinary bird.