Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are You Living In a Computer Simulation?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Transhumanism

Transhumanism

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:33 AM

There is a Nick Bostrom, PhD, of Philosophy Faculty, Oxford University  who makes the case that we humans may be living in a computer simulation.  See http://www.simulation-argument.com/  I have not read it as yet, but will soon.  If others want to read it and paraphrase the info., go for it.

Don't be a weenie, become a Transhumanist: http://www.transhumanism.org/   The SCIENTIFIC movement to become biologically powerful

#2    Bear

Bear

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:26 PM

The matrix? alien.gif  

#3    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:18 AM

I love The Matrix.  It's a fabulous movie.  Great characters, amazing effects, and a brilliant story concept.  It has style.  There is something deeply cool about it.

I love it.  I love it to bits.

It's awesome.

But if Nick Bostrom, PhD, of Oxford University, thinks we're living in a computer simulation, then he's off his f***ing head.

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#4    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:40 AM

Even if we are living in a super complex computer system, how could we ever know? Why would we ever want to know?  If you can't do anything about it then why care at all?

I certainly don't care.  Call me cypher if you will, but whats the difference? whistling2.gif  

#5    fulltimekiller

fulltimekiller

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:48 AM

You got to be kidding me I dont believe we are living in a computer simulation I guess some people have crazy beliefs and idea after watching movies and stuff. laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  

#6    Transhumanism

Transhumanism

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (fulltimekiller @ May 5 2004, 04:48 AM)
You got to be kidding me I dont believe we are living in a computer simulation I guess some people have crazy beliefs and idea after watching movies and stuff. laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

And how would you ever even know that your world is "real."  When you dream, do you think it's fake during the dream?  

What if your life is one long dream in which you never wake up.  Have you never taken philosophy?  

My friend is taking philosophy and the class has mostly Christians and they were all damning the teacher to Hell Fire for questioning their perceptions of reality.  

Don't be a weenie, become a Transhumanist: http://www.transhumanism.org/   The SCIENTIFIC movement to become biologically powerful

#7    Athlon64

Athlon64

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:45 AM

It's amazing how people dismiss theories simply because they feel uncomfortable with them.

#8    fulltimekiller

fulltimekiller

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 07:44 AM

I didn't dismiss any theories the just seems hard to believes. Off course we need some research to prove a theory(even theory are hard to believe)I heard of some theory that is hard to believe but it actually turn out that it does work. Example-When you get a heavy object and a light object some people may think that the heavy object will drop faster.But when you experiment with it they both drop at a same speed.

#9    Angelfish

Angelfish

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

• If you could see it, then you'd understand.

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:07 AM

If we live in a compu sim'd world then why the hell can't they make it more goddamned interesting!!!!

if you click this, the world will blow up
Posted Image
Ya know, a few days ago I found a better explaination(sp?) for Angelfish than "Cus it sounds cool".
But than I realized there was no one around to hear it, and I got really depressed.
I hope you all intend to make me feel better.

#10    TheHand

TheHand

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• "Nothing special ever happens here." ~Nauto (for honesty)
    -FuriKuri (FLCL)

Posted 09 May 2004 - 12:06 AM

What method could you possibly use to prove that we are living in a computer program anyway?

#11    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

• "There are a terrible lot of lies going round the world, and the worst of it is that they're true." Winston Churchill

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:21 AM

Ctrl Alt Delete? laugh.gif  

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yeild to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

#12    chico del nacho

chico del nacho

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

• First and Foremost Member of The Doomsday Bananas

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (fulltimekiller @ May 5 2004, 04:48 AM)

i don't see how it's a crazy idea at all. but like monkyburd, i don't care much one way or the other.

Ctrl Alt Delete? laugh.gif

lol wicked, jenk.

i still vote for social democracy. it's like communism lite! only 1/3 the calories of normal communism!
whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was never poor.
I think there's something innately wrong about most people to inspire alien curiousity.
i'm so proud of this post...
Seriousness is stupidity sent to college. -P. J. O'Rourke
Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. -Oscar Wilde

#13    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:31 AM

in terms of probability, i would imagine being in a simulated world would be more likely than say being part of a universe created by a supernatural all powerful being:)

#14    Transhumanism

Transhumanism

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (TheHand @ May 9 2004, 01:06 AM)
What method could you possibly use to prove that we are living in a computer program anyway?

If we are living in an artificial world, then the "laws of physics" would not be constant or even non-arbitrary but dependent on the whims of those that created our world, like the movie "The Matrix."  As such, the scientific method may not work.  But, it may also be that the evidence for such a scenario is not accessable to man, similar to how the evidence for black holes was not available 500 years ago.  So, it's just philosophical speculations at the moment.  But, Nick Bostrom says he has evidence in support of the "Matrix" scenario, but I have not read anything on his site as yet.  

I DO wish though I was living in a computer, that would give me the prospects of living for ever and the possibilty of creating my environment to fit my desires.  

#15    Ozrosis

Ozrosis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Transhumanism @ May 5 2004, 05:52 AM)
When you dream, do you think it's fake during the dream?  

What if your life is one long dream in which you never wake up.  Have you never taken philosophy?  

The difference between dreaming and waking is concious thought.  If life was a dream we wouldn't have concious thought.  As Descartes said, 'I think therefore I am'.

A monk approached the zen master Joshu and said "I have just entered the monastery.  Please teach me."
Joshu said, "Have you eaten your rice porridge?"
The monk replied that he had.
"Then you had better wash your bowl," Joshu said.

'The professor had come to inquire  about zen but in conversation, he spent more time talking than listening.  In response, Nan-in began pouring the professor's tea until it flowed out of the cup and onto the table.
"What are you doing!" the professor exclaimed.
"Like this cup, you are full of your own ideas," replied the master.  "How can I teach unless you first empty your cup?"

A flower falls
   even though we love it
and a weed grows
  even though we do not love it

-Dogen Zenji

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users