Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"Phantom kangaroos" in the United States

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:22 AM

Taking a look at the "phantom kangaroo" phenomenon, strange carnivorous masupials sighted across the United States as far back as 1934 and investigated by cryptozoologists such as Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman.

"Here in the United States, reports of what have been called "phantom kangaroos" have been chronicled for decades, namely by researchers like Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. In the state of Tennessee going back as far back as 1934, an "atypical kangaroo" was reportedly killing and partially devouring several animals, including German shepherd dogs in mid to late January."

View: Full Article | Source: The Gralien Report

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    MysteryVy

MysteryVy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

wtf...?  blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

#3    www375

www375

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

• Everyone knows this is nowhere

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

"In the state of Tennessee going back as far back as 1934, an "atypical kangaroo" was reportedly killing and partially devouring several animals, including German shepherd dogs in mid to late January."

They lost me right there....NO WAY that a roo could kill a GSD..................... disgust.gif

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

#4    Red8316

Red8316

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

I've seen Kangaroo Rats in the Southern California High Desert (Hesperia / Apple Valley) but they were only tiny things. ( Dipodomys californicus )

#5    Archer1945

Archer1945

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

www375 on Jun 27 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

"In the state of Tennessee going back as far back as 1934, an "atypical kangaroo" was reportedly killing and partially devouring several animals, including German shepherd dogs in mid to late January."

They lost me right there....NO WAY that a roo could kill a GSD..................... disgust.gif

I would suggest you do a little bit of research on kangaroos. A male red kangaroo will stand over 6 1/2 feet tall and weigh in at around 200 pounds. The gray kangaroo, the most commonly seen, is just slightly smaller. Although they do use their forelegs somewhat for fighting their main weapons are their hind  legs and feet which are equipped with very sharp claws making an extremely formidable weapon. The only chance any dog, smaller than a mastiff or Irish wolfhound, would have against a full-grown male red or gray kangaroo would be if they could attack it from behind and stay away from those feet and legs. Since kangaroos have extremely good hearing and can move quite fast this would be very hard to do. If the kick from the kangaroo did not kill the dog immediately it would be in no shape to continue a fight because the claws would have probably torn it completely open before it went flying through the air.

Btw, there was also a prehistoric kangaroo which was not only bigger than the red kangaroo but was also carnivorous.

#6    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,483 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

I believe that people may have seen a "kangaroo" in the States. One was seen and captured not long ago here in Wisconsin. It was captured and put in a zoo. No one ever claimed it as a pet, probably because they didn't have a PERMIT for exotic animals. And yes I can see a Dog being killed by one defending it's self. But EATEN?

More likely another animal eat on the carcass.

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#7    www375

www375

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:00 AM

Archer1945 on Jun 27 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

I would suggest you do a little bit of research on kangaroos. A male red kangaroo will stand over 6 1/2 feet tall and weigh in at around 200 pounds. The gray kangaroo, the most commonly seen, is just slightly smaller. Although they do use their forelegs somewhat for fighting their main weapons are their hind  legs and feet which are equipped with very sharp claws making an extremely formidable weapon. The only chance any dog, smaller than a mastiff or Irish wolfhound, would have against a full-grown male red or gray kangaroo would be if they could attack it from behind and stay away from those feet and legs. Since kangaroos have extremely good hearing and can move quite fast this would be very hard to do. If the kick from the kangaroo did not kill the dog immediately it would be in no shape to continue a fight because the claws would have probably torn it completely open before it went flying through the air.

Btw, there was also a prehistoric kangaroo which was not only bigger than the red kangaroo but was also carnivorous.

I suggest you do a little research on German Shepards..........better yet, come visit mine.................... devil.gif

#8    www375

www375

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

Or maybe you're just a troll, and like to spout.....................

#9    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,536 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:31 AM

It is true it would only take a single hit from a roo to send a single dog flying and the roos do box.  

It is also true that herbivores will consume meat sometimes.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#10    Murmur

Murmur

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

• If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

Archer1945 on Jun 27 2009, 04:00 PM, said:

Absolutely correct. The average male German Shepherd Dog weighs around 85-90 lbs. If charging an adult Red Kangaroo from the front, the dog wouldn't stand a chance. Kangaroos are unbelievably quick, agile, and strong. One good kick would send the dog flying.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. - Sun Tzu

#11    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

UM-Bot on Jun 27 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Taking a look at the "phantom kangaroo" phenomenon, strange carnivorous masupials sighted across the United States as far back as 1934 and investigated by cryptozoologists such as Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman.

"Here in the United States, reports of what have been called "phantom kangaroos" have been chronicled for decades, namely by researchers like Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. In the state of Tennessee going back as far back as 1934, an "atypical kangaroo" was reportedly killing and partially devouring several animals, including German shepherd dogs in mid to late January."

View: Full Article | linked-image Source: The Gralien Report

CAUTION: Kangaroo in picture may appear as cute and cuddly, but if you attempt to hug one they will scratch you and rip you apart. Kangaroo's just aren't safe anymore.

If the kangaroo is called Skippy however you have nothing to fear. tongue.gif

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#12    ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

Just incase you haven't seen what they can do, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FVD0BR2Mc...=PL&index=4

"....And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange even to the men who used them"  The world set free.  H.G Wells 1914

#13    Archer1945

Archer1945

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:39 AM

www375 on Jun 27 2009, 07:00 PM, said:

I suggest you do a little research on German Shepards..........better yet, come visit mine.................... devil.gif

I know a great deal about German Shepards having had several as pets over the years. One we had was extremely strong because her favorite toy was an old car tire, and this was back in the 1960s when tires were not small. She would actually pick it up in her teeth and toss it around like a feather. I would not consider she would even have a chance in a fight with a full-grown Red or Gray kangaroo. As I said a mastiff,  Irish or Russian wolfhound might have a chance against a kangaroo if they could stay away from its feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users