Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

The Nature of Reality

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,996 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

[quote name='PerVirtuous' post='3030301' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:44 AM']So far, so good.

Agreed. It is the action of thinking which proves an entity exists. No problem with that. How that proves that there is a singular reality that is the same for all observers is what I question. There is no evidence that the universe is so. There is plenty of evidence that people with the same basic genetic makeup will agree about how things appear. Confusing that with how things actually are is being arrogant and conceited. Why should we ever believe that the way we perceive things is the way they are? All we can objectively say is that is how they appear. That is hardly the same.

objectivity doesn't require subjective description..in other words objectivity is not perspective dependent, perhaps that's what you are not connecting to..

Edited by S♥ ♥ ♥, 09 August 2009 - 11:51 PM.

#62    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,996 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

View PostPerVirtuous, on Aug 9 2009, 06:46 AM, said:

So, you are able to accept the existence of objectivity based on the fabulous logic "It just is" but you find subjectivity difficult to prove? I think you have lost the plot.

in other  words  a ball 'can just be' it can  exist whether I observe it or not...this distinguishes it as objective...

#63    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,602 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

one of my favourites.....

:tu:

#64    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,652 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

Thanks PerVertious, as far as I am concerned there was no contest. Very well argued.
The fact that it agrees with every great philopher of modern times, will put our niave need for objectivity into perspective. Marbod you have simply expressed a subjective belief.
Even if we accept our own existance it doesn't take us outside of our own heads and into the objective reality which everyone wants to believe in. Everything is physically filtered through our sense organs, and since each brain is wired uniquely it cannot experience anything other than its own synapse net. It is a filtering mechanism, and a shape capturing mechanism and since each of these abilities is learned uniquely then the products are also unique. Add on top of this a language filter which imposses its own limitations on what can be concieved and we can start to see that our internal subjective models can never approach a true understanding of reality and can never approach objectivity.
All this demonstrates that just because we want and need objective reality to exist that it can never be demonstrated beyond our own self.

I think it is reasonable to allow for the possability of objectivity as it seems to map to my own subjectivity and it seems to be functionally useful to some degree. However we must always be aware that our brains will deceive  us about its nature, and therefore we need to be extremely skeptical about what we believe it might be.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 17 September 2009 - 08:58 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users