Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

'The Scariest Picture on the Internet'

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#16    Aeyther

Aeyther

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:24 AM

I hope the legend really isn't true, she was very pretty and a good artist.

Now for the picture, i don't know. I though her facial expressions changed a bit throughout the 5 min, first it seemed like she smiled then it turned to more of a sad look. Also her eyes seemed to follow you around, I got up after I paused it and she seemed to follow me around the room. I didn't notice any eye color changed though.

#17    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

susieice on Jul 1 2009, 02:49 AM, said:

I didn't really see anything. It's such a shame someone that young would take her own life like that. So pretty too. That's sad. I wonder why.

My suspicion is that there wasn't any such suicide and the entire video is part of a project for some freshman psychology or sociology class.

By the way, it is fairly well established that if you stare at any frontal full-face portrait the eyes will eventually seem to flicker, the lips "speak," the hair gently wave and so on.

#18    Lorelei

Lorelei

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

• Both boat and man, by and by,
    And that, with her dulcet-voiced power,
    Was done by the Lorelei.

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:29 AM

OldTimeRadio on Jul 2 2009, 10:55 AM, said:

My suspicion is that there wasn't any such suicide and the entire video is part of a project for some freshman psychology or sociology class.

By the way, it is fairly well established that if you stare at any frontal full-face portrait the eyes will eventually seem to flicker, the lips "speak," the hair gently wave and so on.

Again for those who seemed to miss the first page of this topic:
The picture was originally made in photo shop by a man named Robert Chang for his sci-fi/fantasy screenplay. He calls her "Princess Ruu". I guess someone on the internet saw it and decided to steal it and create an urban legend.
Here is the link to Robert Chang's portfolio and his picture of Princess Ruu: http://lunatique.cgsociety.org/gallery/325333/
Also here are some alternate versions from Robert Chang: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_we...ic_princess.htm

#19    Shego

Shego

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

• "And I'm alive
    I'm God's favorite
    And I'm an angel
    The purest you've ever met"
    - Jyrki 69 (bit me 10/6/09)

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:33 AM

OMG.

That scared the hell out of me.

Haha

Sike.

Nothing was scary about that.

I've seen scarier things under my bed.

Posted Image

I want a guy with a rich boy standards
Handsome, has it, want it , have it

#20    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

LestatsGermanLover on Jul 2 2009, 10:33 PM, said:

So have I.  Me.  Mwuahahahahaha.

Boo.

laugh.gif

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#21    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:54 AM

Aeyther on Jul 2 2009, 04:24 AM, said:

I hope the legend really isn't true, she was very pretty and a good artist.

The actual artist is known and it's a guy.

Also her eyes seemed to follow you around, I got up after I paused it and she seemed to follow me around the room.

That's the nature of full-frontal-face portraits. The eyes seem to look directly at you wherever you stand. I learned that very early on from my commercial artist Dad.

#22    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

LestatsGermanLover on Jul 3 2009, 03:33 AM, said:

So have I. Why else do you think I sleep sitting up at my computer?

#23    Gravitorbox

Gravitorbox

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

OldTimeRadio on Jul 3 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

That's the nature of full-frontal-face portraits. The eyes seem to look directly at you wherever you stand. I learned that very early on from my commercial artist Dad.

Yep, it's a 2D image. All 2D images look the same no matter what angle you look at them from. If the eyes are looking dead-on at you, it'll look like that from any angle. Nothing creepy, just logic.

"Everything we did was criticized. For about thirty years we lived with the world against us, accusing us of things we didn't do!"

- Ian Douglas Smith

#24    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

When I was nine or 10 Dad hung a framed art print of George Washington over the living room fireplace. I remember how Washington's eyes seemed to follow me across the room.

Mom said this was because I had a guilty conscience but Dad explained the scientific reason to me.

But that guilty conscience did enter into it! original.gif

#25    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:48 AM

Let me add that the dynastic Egyptians rarely, in fact almost never, portrayed the Pharoah full-face on wall paintings; they much preferred to use profile views. (Statuary was a different matter altogether, for reasons I've never quite understood.)

The fear apparently was that "the spark of life" could flash from the twin eyes and fry the onlooker.

#26    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

The portrait is sort of blurry which kind of gives off the impression that her chest movies(breathing).

Also considering eye strain from starring and video framerate the picture may come off as moving when its just a trick of the eye.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#27    Believe-me

Believe-me

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

• Our lives are controlled by the sciences, Birth-Biology Marriage-Chemistry Death-Physics

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

omg she winked at me wink2.gif

#28    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:27 AM

Believe-me on Jul 5 2009, 02:54 PM, said:

omg she winked at me wink2.gif

You're in real trouble. original.gif

#29    cluey

cluey

complete paradox

• 2,080 posts
  • Location:~in your head,lol.....seriously though............."the driest continate on earth".......which is also comparable to a land mass on another planet!!!...........

• BLACK ADDER!!!.."let's get them when and where they are most vulnerable"...*WHACK*....."just my luck to get the one that was hard".... :D

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

Nick.J.95 on Jul 1 2009, 11:38 AM, said:

I recently found this video on youtube, and after much research, I have compiled some information about the origin and history of the photo. I found that gathering information was difficult, as this particular picture isn't as discussed or as well known as some of the others.

The sketch is believed to be a self portrait of a young Japanese woman, who supposedly sketched herself before scanning the sketch and posting it onto the internet. The origin of the picture is currently unknown, but I have contacted the creator of the youtube video and have asked for the information required to properly and efficiently analyse the sketch.

If you stare at the picture for an amount of time, it is said that the sketch can be seen moving. Some people have reported seeing her eyes moving, even changing colour. Others have reported seeing her chest moving up and down as though she was inhaling and exhaling. All of these are due to the fact that the sketch is said to be cursed, as the woman commited suicide only a short amount of time after drawing it.

Some have claimed thatit is an animation, however, if you pause the Youtube video, it is said that you can still see movement.

For me, I couldn't see anything obvious, it did appear as though her chest moved at some points during the video, note the first scene, however I saw no other signs which may lead me to believe that the picture is cursed.

See for yourself -

The Scariest Picture on the Internet -- Youtube Link

Thanks

- Watch this space.

Some other pictures said to be cursed -

1. Scariest Picture #2 - A fake, but still disturbing to an extent.

2.  Korean Horror Film - Obviously fake, from a Korean Horror film (?) if my memory serves me correctly.

Does anyone else have some favourites they want to share?

all very interesting........but nothing happened for me..............what they are claiming,is possible with any picture though........each to their own i guess! original.gif

Believes all people have to admit to some level of neurosis!!!
will never let my mother cut my hair again!!!!
The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!
it is hard to sore high with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys!!!!

#30    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Nick.J.95 on Jul 1 2009, 02:38 AM, said:

....[A]fter much research, I have compiled some information about the origin and history of the photo....

The sketch is believed to be a self portrait of a young Japanese woman, who supposedly sketched herself before scanning the sketch and posting it onto the internet....

....[T]he sketch is said to be cursed, as the woman commited suicide only a short amount of time after drawing it.

The problem with all this is that the portrait was created by a MALE artist, who is very much still alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users