Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Haunting of Munger Road

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Borachio

Borachio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Im not sure what the whole story about Munger Road is but i'll just say what i've heard.
Munger Road is supposedly a haunted railroad in Illinois. I dont know the exact date but a while back a School Bus that was filled with kids stopped on the railroad on Munger Road.
Unfortunately a train was on the track so they tried pushing the bus off the tracks but they were too late, so the train ended up killing everyone. (Feel free to find and post any links to news on the story).

Now you can experience the phenomenon on Munger Road by taking these steps:

- First you have to park your car on the railroad.
- Second you have to turn off all your lights.
- Next you have to put some sort of white powder around on car... The reason for this is that the incident on Munger Road happened on a snowy winter day so there was snow on the bus, so when you put the white powder on the car you can supposedly see a childs handprints as if they were trying to push your car off the tracks.
- Finally you just sit and wait for the phenomenon to begin!

If you have anything you would like to share about the topic please post here.

#2    Aeyther

Aeyther

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

I've heard this story before, like how your car will be pushed UPHILL by itself.

#3    Borachio

Borachio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:48 AM

Huh that's odd, I've heard a few more stories of people seeing reflections of the kids in their windows and hearing shouts and screams

#4    Michael J Jackson

Michael J Jackson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• R.I.P Michael Jackson

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:54 AM

If you search the forums I'm sure you could find another topic relating to this. I haven't heared of any witness statements, which leads me to believe that this is probably just a legened and nothing more.

alien.gif Nick alien.gif

Posted Image

#5    Octans

Octans

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

That's just a displacement of this legend. You can read some other stories here, though.

Speaking of, do you know what a munger is? Use Urban Dictionary if not.  ;)

To gaze upon the firmament with wondrous, vast consciousness; and for a moment to live amongst the stars as if I had a thousand years thence—to expunge mortal anxiety and to simply marvel in that instant of existence—is the nearest I shall ever come to eternity.

#6    churchanddestroy

churchanddestroy

Secretary of No State

• 3,088 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

Borachio, on 02 July 2009 - 09:28 PM, said:

Im not sure what the whole story about Munger Road is but i'll just say what i've heard.
Munger Road is supposedly a haunted railroad in Illinois. I dont know the exact date but a while back a School Bus that was filled with kids stopped on the railroad on Munger Road.
Unfortunately a train was on the track so they tried pushing the bus off the tracks but they were too late, so the train ended up killing everyone. (Feel free to find and post any links to news on the story).

Now you can experience the phenomenon on Munger Road by taking these steps:

- First you have to park your car on the railroad.
- Second you have to turn off all your lights.
- Next you have to put some sort of white powder around on car... The reason for this is that the incident on Munger Road happened on a snowy winter day so there was snow on the bus, so when you put the white powder on the car you can supposedly see a childs handprints as if they were trying to push your car off the tracks.
- Finally you just sit and wait for the phenomenon to begin!

If you have anything you would like to share about the topic please post here.

Munger Road is off of Army Trail Road in Wayne Illinois, not far from where I grew up. When I was still in highschool, I went to Munger Road to see what would happen. We put flour on the bumpers of the car and parked on the tracks. Nothing happened. We thought we saw finger prints in the powder, but we couldn't be sure if they were from when we put the flour on the car, or from any 'ghosts' who may or may not have been there.

There is a road in Palatine, Cuba Road, or something similar to it, that has a story that sounds a lot like the Munger Road story. I don't think that Munger Road has anything particularly out of the ordinary going on, besides being really really creepy.

When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.

#7    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,099 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

I understand that none of the stories match up with facts.  It seems it is all local legend.

#8    thekeyboardkid

thekeyboardkid

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

• In sæcula sæculorum

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

churchanddestroy, on 01 September 2009 - 06:11 PM, said:

Munger Road is off of Army Trail Road in Wayne Illinois, not far from where I grew up. When I was still in highschool, I went to Munger Road to see what would happen. We put flour on the bumpers of the car and parked on the tracks. Nothing happened. We thought we saw finger prints in the powder, but we couldn't be sure if they were from when we put the flour on the car, or from any 'ghosts' who may or may not have been there.

There is a road in Palatine, Cuba Road, or something similar to it, that has a story that sounds a lot like the Munger Road story. I don't think that Munger Road has anything particularly out of the ordinary going on, besides being really really creepy.

In Laredo, Texas (where I was born and raised, and presently visiting) there's a story that goes exactly the same way, and the railroad in question is near a region we call Mines Road. Funny enough, I heard this story when I was much, much younger.

Edited by thekeyboardkid, 02 September 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#9    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:16 AM

From what I understand, there was going to be a movie based on the legend of a school bus getting hit by a train. I saw something about it on YouTube a while back but, I don't remember what it was called and I didn't think to save a link to it. Nonetheless, it's a common urban legend that you can find through-out the US and parts of Canada much like the legend of Goldne Arm and the escaped murderer with a hook for a hand.

Sorry to be such a buzz kill but, facts are facts.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#10    ton3

ton3

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

i was traveling munger road once and saw a man eating chicken.

#11    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,099 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

The idea, apparently is to put your car in neutral while sitting at the rail crossing and some unseen force is supposed to then move the car backwards.  This indeed happens.  Railroad tracks are usually built on a grade (hill) to protect the roadbed and track from ground water.  The Munger road crossing is in a very wet area so the grade is fairly steep.  Any car put in neutral on that spot will roll backwards due to the unseen force of gravity.

#12    ton3

ton3

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

well suck me sideways!!! bit of a dick are we???

#13    theGhost_and_theDarkness

theGhost_and_theDarkness

Tsavo Maneater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. - Norman Cousins

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:24 AM

You can find a place like that near just about every city in America. There's always a place nearby where a bus of school kids supposedly got hit by a train, or a woman got hit by a car, or something similar. You park your car, put it in neutral, and it moves by itself. Depending on which version of the legend it is, there will be handprints on your car after its done with.  There's an interesting variation down here where I live where if you park your car and turn the lights off a "beast" will come and you can hear it clawing your car and windshield trying to get in and it will sometimes push and/or rock your car.

There are some roads you can go on where your car does appear to travel uphill or down a straight road by itself, but its more of an illusion, like the things around the Oregon vortex.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

#14    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

ton3, on 05 September 2009 - 12:14 AM, said:

well suck me sideways!!! bit of a dick are we???
who are you talking about? Everyone seems to be very civil in here.

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#15    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,099 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

If anyone is interested, here is the rail crossing in question courtesy of Google Maps.

http://maps.google.c...&z=17&t=h&hl=en

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users