Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How do the Mayans know if this does happen?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

ShadowSot on Jul 19 2009, 09:26 AM, said:

Is tumbled across this site, worth tking a gander at.
http://www.2012hoax.org/galactic-alignment

Hoax? The chief proponents of the 2012 nonsense seem to sincerely believe what they are going on about. The word "hoax" normally involves, in fact requires, purposeful fraud.

#32    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

OldTimeRadio on Jul 19 2009, 10:24 PM, said:

Hoax? The chief proponents of the 2012 nonsense seem to sincerely believe what they are going on about. The word "hoax" normally involves, in fact requires, purposeful fraud.

Well lets face it, most of the people promulgating the 2012 thing just do it because it's good money, so the word HOAX is not that misused, I'd say. This said, I know that enough people actually buy into it and sincerly believe it.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#33    darksoul_

darksoul_

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

MysteryMike on Jul 8 2009, 02:32 AM, said:

So, how did the Mayans predict what they think will happen on December 21, 2012. On whatever will happen on that day. Did they also say its going to be end of the the world or something else. If anyone knows. Please do tell.

http://en.wikipedia....uero_(Maya_site)

Monument 6 from Tortuguero is currently generating discussion as it includes the only known inscription depicting the end of the current 13-baktun era in 2012.[4] Grube, Martin and Zender have stated[5] it refers to “the end of the 13th b’ahktun which we will see in the year 2012” and as to what will happen, they say, “…utom, “it will happen” (O4) followed by something that we cannot read (P4) and he “will descend” yem (O5). The last glyph begins with ta followed by something. However, this is not the end of the world.”

This happy interpretation is supported by Marcus Eberl and Christian Prager[6] : “The events associated with this Baktun end are partially eroded; yet, they involve the “coming down” of B’olon ’Ok. The same verb is used as part of dedication events and seems to have had not a destructive – as might be expected from B’olon Yokte’ K’uh – but a positive connotation.”

Gillespie and Joyce[7]and also Houston and Stuart[8] have concurred that the inscription on Monument 6 concerns the god(s) Bolon yokte K’uh - specifically “…a calendrical event in the early 21st century AD, at which time, apparently, the god may 'descend'.” Stuart has recently given a more complete translation: “"The Thirteenth Bak'tun" will be finished (on) Four Ahaw, the Third of K'ank'in. ? will occur. (It will be) the descent(?) of the Nine Support (?) God(s) to the ?."[9] Gronemeyer gives an epigraphic analysis and calendrical reconstruction of Monument 6 in his Master’s thesis,[10] with illustrations.

#34    darksoul_

darksoul_

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

For the maya's it apparantely meant the return of the 9 support gods, or possibly quetzelcoatl etc

what that they meant will happen, we dont know.

#35    Creepy_Steve

Creepy_Steve

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

MysteryMike on Jul 8 2009, 01:32 AM, said:

So, how did the Mayans predict what they think will happen on December 21, 2012. On whatever will happen on that day. Did they also say its going to be end of the the world or something else. If anyone knows. Please do tell.

They followed the solar and stellar cycle.
certain stellar and solar positions indiact big changes, that's all it is.
No destruction of earth or what ever.
Probally some climat changes that will have some effect on us, some heavy earthquacks maybe.
But no end of the world as in everybody dies.
More end of the world as we know it and the start of the new age.

#36    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

If we predict the end-of-the-world for December 21, 2512, does it mean that people will spend the years 2508-2512 running around in circles, asking "What did those UMers mean by that? What did they think is going to happen? What did they know that we don't?"

#37    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,106 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

View PostCorp, on Jul 9 2009, 03:00 AM, said:

This is their revenge for smallpox.

haha good one

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#38    muddyfrog

muddyfrog

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

• A teacher cannot teach a student; on the contrary a student must learn from the teacher.
    -Me

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

View PostSiara, on Jul 13 2009, 07:56 AM, said:

Given the fact that the galaxy isn't a line, it's difficult for me to understand how the earth can be aligned to it.  What's the geometric definition of aligned here?  Remember that the Milky Way Galaxy appears in the sky as a large stripe, not a point.

I think that it's a 3 point line...

1) the sun
2) the earth
3)the center of the galaxy (that appears as a stripe, but is really a spiral, that has a center...)

I think that is the line.

I think consciousness is the only REAL change here. I KNOW something's up. I am being slowly evolved through my mind, and I am almost believing in christ at this point. Someone who was from 4 to 18 a hardcore atheiest...

Yet Jesus (I guess?) came in my dream within a dream and told me I was to be enlightened?? Whatever I don't think anyone has a reason to believe that, and I don't whole heartedly either, and yet something that was shown was something I thought could not be shown... I saw the deepest part of me, and god and now I beleive...

but I am just on the edge of this as of now... NOW matters more to me than the past and the future combined!

-Muddy

Edited by muddyfrog, 05 August 2009 - 05:03 AM.

Posted Image

Now is like a flowing river. Do not hold on to the shore. The shore is crumbling. Push off into the middle and rejoice that others have made it with you.
-Native American quote paraphrased

#39    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

View Postmuddyfrog, on Aug 5 2009, 05:56 AM, said:

I think that it's a 3 point line...

1) the sun
2) the earth
3)the center of the galaxy (that appears as a stripe, but is really a spiral, that has a center...)

I think that is the line.

I think consciousness is the only REAL change here. I KNOW something's up. I am being slowly evolved through my mind, and I am almost believing in christ at this point. Someone who was from 4 to 18 a hardcore atheiest...

Yet Jesus (I guess?) came in my dream within a dream and told me I was to be enlightened?? Whatever I don't think anyone has a reason to believe that, and I don't whole heartedly either, and yet something that was shown was something I thought could not be shown... I saw the deepest part of me, and god and now I beleive...

but I am just on the edge of this as of now... NOW matters more to me than the past and the future combined!

-Muddy

How does a personal revelation relate to 2012, or did I miss something?

Edited by Marby, 05 August 2009 - 07:56 PM.

#40    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

View PostMarby, on Aug 5 2009, 07:55 PM, said:

How does a personal revelation relate to 2012, or did I miss something?

Wouldn't that depend upon the validity of the content of the personal revelation....if any?

Edited by OldTimeRadio, 06 August 2009 - 05:24 AM.

#41    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

View PostOldTimeRadio, on Aug 6 2009, 06:22 AM, said:

Wouldn't that depend upon the validity of the content of the personal revelation....if any?

Sure. But being that it's personal revelation, then we are correct doubt that there was much validity concerning 2012 there.  If there is, we can't really make that a valid assumption until 2012, if the personal revelations come to pass. The  probability for any personal revelation relating to a made up event to come to pass is miniscule. So the assumption we make, to be fair, should be understood to be flawed. This automatically invalidates the logic.

Please stop me before I start writing out logical proofs. It's far too early for this and I don't want to get into how we can twist it all around for different outcomes. :P

Edited by Marby, 06 August 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#42    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

View PostOldTimeRadio, on Aug 6 2009, 06:22 AM, said:

I keep coming back to this and I know that I have a better way to explain it than I did in the previous post, but it's just not coming out right, so I hope I've made sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users