Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

In Search of the Mongolian Death Worm

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:09 AM

www.in.com)

Trudging gingerly across the arid sands of the Gobi desert, Czech explorer Ivan Mackerle is careful not to put a foot wrong, for he knows it may be his last. He scours the land and shifting valleys for tell-tale signs of disturbance in the sands below, always ready for the unexpected lurch of an alien being said to kill in one strike with a sharp spout of acidic venom to the face.A creature so secretive that no photographic evidence yet exists, but the locals know it’s there, always waiting in silence for its prey, waiting to strike – the Mongolian Death Worm.

linked-image
Pictures in OP link
Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#2    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

• This Machine Kills Fascists

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:04 AM

Today, it is Ivan Mackerle, a self-made cryptozoologist who travels the world in search of scientific evidence that proves creatures like the Loch Ness monster and Mongolian Death Worm exist.

Stopped reading here.

#3    lilmcnessy

lilmcnessy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Sounds like the big worm in star wars

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,115 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

Having initially thought that the creature might be a zoological reality, however, Mackerle has begun to suspect that the "worm" might be a psychological phenomenon, possibly caused by the extreme heat of the Gobi.

"The death worm could be - I don't want to say 'hallucination' - but some sort of psychological problem," he says.

With no new method for hunting the Allghoi khorkhoi, Mackerle says he has no plans to return to Mongolia but, now 62, his appetite for adventure remains as strong as ever.

Next up? Mackerle is planning a trip to India, to explore temples and caves that might explain legends of a subterranean kingdom called Agharta.

http://prague.tv/articles/zine/ivan-mackerle-interview

#5    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

KRS-One on Jul 11 2009, 03:04 PM, said:

Stopped reading here.

Technically all cryptozoologists are self made because it isn't actually a profession, though some people can be looked at as professional, it's still not looked at as an actual job.

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#6    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• 1,555 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Blueguardian on Jul 11 2009, 06:55 AM, said:

Technically all cryptozoologists are self made because it isn't actually a profession, though some people can be looked at as professional, it's still not looked at as an actual job.

True enough.  Anyone with a degree would be a biologist (or some other accredited title pertaining to the field).  You'd think cryptozologists would wise up to this so they aren't instantly labeled as the quacks they are.

Edited by KRS-One, 11 July 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#7    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,957 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

...gosh, here I was think explicitly cryptozoological threads belong in the cryptozoologocal section! What a quaint belief!

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,541 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

From the OP link:

Only a few years ago, in 2005, a group of English scientists and cryptozoologists spent a month in the hostile Gobi desert searching for the fabled creature, and although they spoke to a number of Mongolians in the area, all of whom regaled wondrous stories of the worm, no one could verify they had seen the creature first-hand. Even still, after four weeks the team had gathered enough verbal evidence to be convinced that the worm really does exist. Lead researcher, Richard Freeman, said: “Every eyewitness account and story we have heard describes exactly the same thing: a red-brown worm-like snake, approximately two feet long and two inches thick with no discernable head or back (tail).”

This brings up the question again of whether eyewitness and verbal evidence is actually scientific evidence? If a researcher has a scientific degree and background, but believes that stories are evidence that make him non-scientific?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

DieChecker on Jul 12 2009, 10:21 PM, said:

From the OP link:

This brings up the question again of whether eyewitness and verbal evidence is actually scientific evidence? If a researcher has a scientific degree and background, but believes that stories are evidence that make him non-scientific?

Though non scientific.....It is said in ancient scriptures and as they said that verbal evidence was enough for him to be convinced about the creature....We really dont know peoples mind...lol
Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#10    Eaglelox

Eaglelox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

wow, a worm that we cant prove is alive. i think its a darn good chance its somewhere out there along with some other crazy cool things.

keep looking, youl find something. lol

It could happen that way.
Eaglelox@hotmail.com

#11    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• 1,555 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

Seems like a tough environment for a creature of that size, especially if it really is a "worm".  Keeping enough fluid to maintain hydrostatic cell pressure in a creature like that would be pretty difficult in desert conditions, you'd think.

edit: If it was real.  Which is isn't.

edit2:  Petition to rename the forum:  "Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History: wow, a worm that we cant prove is alive."

Edited by KRS-One, 12 July 2009 - 08:31 PM.

#12    wolemrock

wolemrock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:50 AM

with verbal evidences only? i don't think this worm exist, go here in the Philippines, ask anyone about a "tikbalang" (half horse and half human) the "sigbin" (some kind of a scarry, fast moving animal who eats charcoal) and more others and you may have more verbal evidences here that this "creatures" exist. I think it's one of the night time stories of the Mogolian parents to prevent their children from playing and exploring the dessert. "Don't go out there, there's a big worm that electrecutes and can kill you from a distance.." scary...

#13    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

next thing you know we'll find legends of a sandworm and fremen riding them. Sounds a bit too much like "arrakis' to me ;-)
This said, this threat should be in the Crypto section and not here.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#14    MARAB0D

MARAB0D

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

Mongols drink so-called "kumys", which is a specially fermented horse or camel milk. After this thing they tend to tell the stories, of which one made its way to Soviet science fiction of 1940s, so the novel by Efremov appeared, called Olgoi-Khorhoi, describing precisely the personal encounter with this death worm. Already in the 60s mad enthusiasts were going to Gobi to catch the beast, but were catching nothing on top of a nice desert tan or bad cold.

Efremov was translated in a couple of dozen languages(even in Mongolian), so the disease became spread worldwide, and now every Mongol knows there is a worm of death in the sands, which was somehow missed in Genghis-khan times. Easy to check - go to Mongolia and ask a question, then follow the description, it would be a replica of Efremov's story.

#15    Eaglelox

Eaglelox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

i wont say it does exist but, i think it is so possible that there is a red poisonous worm that we haven seen much. it could have migrated, maybe died out, poss never lived. but its a fricken worm, how hard is that to believe possible. maybe its not a worm but snake that was different somehow. compared to a lot of the other things i read about on this site the worm i would give a good chance...

possible Gravoid sighting grin2.gif

Edited by Eaglelox, 13 July 2009 - 01:06 PM.

It could happen that way.
Eaglelox@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users