Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

In Search of the Mongolian Death Worm

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

Eaglelox on Jul 12 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

wow, a worm that we cant prove is alive. i think its a darn good chance its somewhere out there along with some other crazy cool things.

keep looking, youl find something. lol

Man, that guy is 62 years old.  Anything 'crypto-' has to with some kind of external sign.  Well, he has a couple.  Take some water.

Speaking of water, do you think the Gobi desert  was once the ocean?  Go to the bottom of the ocean miles down and you'll probably find some of those worms.  That is if they haven't drowned yet.

Edited by greggK, 13 July 2009 - 02:02 PM.

It is me!

#17    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:39 AM

Here is another article on the same subject:
The Truth Behind the Mongolian Death Worm

It has much more detail than the OP, plus more photographs from an expedition -- plus -- a possible explanation as to what exactly this worm may be.
Link to story

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featu...eath-worm/13543

Anyway, it's an enjoyable read, thumbsup.gif
Karlis

#18    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:15 AM

Seriously,the Mongolian Death Worm, name that makes you expect a fierce creature and it gets killed by some guy who throws a rock at it? You're sure the name is correctly translated from Mongolian? Sounds to me like it should be 'Mongolian death by rock worm" rather.

“There was the friend of park ranger who had seen the Death Worm three times: the first in 1965 when he saw its head poking out of a hole in the sand; the second the next year when he saw one eating a mouse. The third time was in 1972, when he actually killed a worm by throwing a rock at it, but this time some Russian scientists who were researching snakes in the area took the body away. So it’s likely that a Death Worm specimen today lies forgotten in the vaults of some Russian museum, just as there are other unknown species preserved in museums around the world.”

The article is a nice read, till we go over to the "dragon in well" part, what the hell does that have to do with anything?

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#19    Grey Area

Grey Area

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

TheSearcher on Jul 23 2009, 06:15 AM, said:

Seriously,the Mongolian Death Worm, name that makes you expect a fierce creature and it gets killed by some guy who throws a rock at it? You're sure the name is correctly translated from Mongolian? Sounds to me like it should be 'Mongolian death by rock worm" rather.

I thought they were called Graboids!

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there
first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett.

#20    Black..Death

Black..Death

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:30 AM

I Wonder..

#21    Adramaleck

Adramaleck

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• I don't mind the sun sometimes, do you?

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:56 AM

Hmm..

firstly, it's nieve to say this thing doesn't exist just because it hasn't been properly catalogued.  When you blink does the whole world disappear for a second?

secondly, we already have creatures catalogued that can produce an electrical shock powerful enough to kill an adult human - eg the electric eel or knifefish.

Some beetles have acidic defences such as this one is described to have.  

keep in mind im not saying it DOES or DOES NOT exist, rather it COULD exist.

#22    Enigmatic Annasawzi

Enigmatic Annasawzi

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

• Frank Herbert, who, oh him the guy who tried showing our sameness through fiction, he's dead, does it matter?

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Heh, death worms, sounds like Frank Herbert was actually a Prophet, instead of a historian/writer, this makes Eurepodes(I think this is who said it), 'that Historians are Prophets in reverse.', then it would make even more sense, that instead of seeing the future he saw our ancient past......Hmmm, I feel Orion Von Koch returning. Then it would mean Dune was our past, not our future.

EA

"There are times when the end justifies the means. But when you build an argument based on a whole series of such times, you may find that you've constructed an entire philosophy of evil."
―Luke Skywalke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users