Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any new updates on the Bili Ape?

Four Winds

In case you have not heard, the "Bili Ape" or "Bondo Mystery Ape" is a very large chimpanzee that unlike chimpanzees builds its nests on the ground and has a crest on its skull like apes. Has there been any recent news on this guy?

http://anthropology.net/2007/07/17/bili-ap...e-magic-forest/

20 years ago, the Bili ape would have had cryptid status, but he is more or less accepted to exist these days even by mainstream anthropologists. Anyone heard of recent news?

Personally, I think it is exciting that such a large primate existed for so long undetected by Western scholars and I would like to know more about it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Four Winds

• psyche101

• Abramelin

• Mattshark

I can't believe there are no replies. A large ape/chimp is discovered in the modern age, which many a scientist would have said impossible and nobody has anything to ad?

I will add! Good find!

The thing that gets me is that they take down and eat leopard's. But the reason they were unknown to us in the west was civil war keeping outsiders away

From the article:

The locals in Bili refer to Bili Apes as “Lion Killers”. While chimps tend to stay in the trees and make good prey for big cats, Bili Apes nest on the ground like gorillas and have been reported to hunt lions.

Another article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...strangeape.html saying they have characteristics of both chimps and apes

I will add! Good find!

The thing that gets me is that they take down and eat leopard's. But the reason they were unknown to us in the west was civil war keeping outsiders away

From the article:

The locals in Bili refer to Bili Apes as “Lion Killers”. While chimps tend to stay in the trees and make good prey for big cats, Bili Apes nest on the ground like gorillas and have been reported to hunt lions.

Another article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...strangeape.html saying they have characteristics of both chimps and apes

Thanks for the article link! I had not seen that one before.

I read about it somewhere. Can't wait to find out when it will get captured . It lends credit to Bigfooot, It's about 5 feet tall (Bigfoots are mostly tall) and is good at hiding, and is ground dwellling.

Edited by KillerRabbit

The Wikipedia entry on them has a bit of useful information and plenty of names and other tidbits to google, as well as being well cited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bili_Ape

As always, hate to jump to Wiki, but this time they seem to have a decent groundwork on the animal.

this is a particular breed of ape in asia.

they use clubs to kill and eat prey often walk as bipeds and often solve all the societal problems through mating each other....curiously like humans but without the suits.

they use clubs to kill and eat prey often walk as bipeds and often solve all the societal problems through mating each other....curiously like humans but without the suits.

Personally, I find the "Lion Killer" legends interesting.

The Chimp/Ape in question lives in the Congo. Do you have any links regarding the animal in Asia?

Personally, I find the "Lion Killer" legends interesting.

So do I. Can you imagine if they could capture that on video.

Erm, no, its isn't. It is just a subspecies of chimp and it is from Africa (DRC).

So do I. Can you imagine if they could capture that on video.

I think it would be a huge insight. I often wonder if it is true. As far as I know, the action has not been documented.

Erm, no, its isn't. It is just a subspecies of chimp and it is from Africa (DRC).

ROFL, I missed the Asia bit good catch.

Edited by psyche101

I think it would be a huge insight. I often wonder if it is true. As far as I know, the action has not been documented.

I has been documented by one of the earlier teams that they saw a Bili Ape eating the remains of large cat, I don't remember off hand which type of cat (I want to say leopard, but I don't remember). Of course, as they should, they said that they don't know if the Bili Ape was simply scavenging or had actually killed the animal.

I has been documented by one of the earlier teams that they saw a Bili Ape eating the remains of large cat, I don't remember off hand which type of cat (I want to say leopard, but I don't remember). Of course, as they should, they said that they don't know if the Bili Ape was simply scavenging or had actually killed the animal.

Yes, but if it can be proven they do hunt such predators I think it would be a huge insight into evolutionary development of primates. I think even the scavenging is a big plus, sort of validates what we think about Homo habilis.

Fascinating species, hopefully we learn more before the bush meat market places a damaging toll on the population.

hopefully we learn more before the bush meat market places a damaging toll on the population.

It is just a guess, but I think the local population is not going to mess with the Bili Ape. From all accounts, the locals fear the creature and I hope it stays that way.

Edited by Razer

It is just a guess, but I think the local population is not going to mess with the Bili Ape. From all accounts, the locals fear the creature and I hope it stays that way.

If only, unfortunately locals will overcome fear for meat.

Tragically, the Bili-Uele chimpanzees and their unique culture, along with many other rare and endangered species, are now under imminent threat of destruction by the rapidly-emerging commercial bushmeat trade that is sweeping across the northern DRC. This illegal commerce is intimately linked to the expanding artisanal mining industry, which is radiating outwards from the town of Buta into previously untouched forests and savannas (one of these mining enterprises is called ‘Le Juif Noir,’ or ‘The Black Jew’).

Link.

They kill Gorillas no worries, I doubt a Chimp would stop them.

The Bushmeat Photographs of Karl Ammann

A lot of people fear chimps in general because they a very aggressive and very dangerous.

A lot of people fear chimps in general because they a very aggressive and very dangerous.

That is true, so it is no wonder the locals really fear what is possibly the largest chimp on the planet.

In case you have not heard, the "Bili Ape" or "Bondo Mystery Ape" is a very large chimpanzee that unlike chimpanzees builds its nests on the ground and has a crest on its skull like apes. Has there been any recent news on this guy?

http://anthropology.net/2007/07/17/bili-ap...e-magic-forest/

20 years ago, the Bili ape would have had cryptid status, but he is more or less accepted to exist these days even by mainstream anthropologists. Anyone heard of recent news?

Personally, I think it is exciting that such a large primate existed for so long undetected by Western scholars and I would like to know more about it.

LOL, they are already in cages:

Video shows a giant chimpanzee - thought to be a member of a newly discovered species. This is likely the only video made of this species. The chimpanzee is the height of a human being.

Comparison of Giant Chimpanzee and common chimpanzee. At the beginning of the video, Kermit is the one on the left. Daryl, the smaller lighter faced chimp who is the one swinging, is a common chimpanzee. Kermit may be a giant chimpanzee. His appearance differs from most other chimpanzees. Not only is he larger, but his face is somewhat darker. He has a greyish beard.

Kermit is very intelligent. Perhaps when he places the yellow chair in front of him (in part 3) and applauds, he is communicating the idea that he understands the situation that he is in.

Although Kermit is much larger, Daryl is said to be more dominant. This might suggest that the Giant Chimpanzee has a more docile disposition than the common chimpanzee, which is quite aggressive. Perhaps the Giant Chimpanzee has a personality more closely resembling that of the bonobo.

A mysterious, new human-like ape has been documented by primatologists. It lives in the northern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (in central Africa). It is highly elusive and lives in difficult to reach areas, thus, little is known about it. It has been reported that these apes, which sometimes walk upright, can stand up to 6-feet tall and to have 14-inch feet. They have the large body of the gorilla, but their face is flatter and more that of the chimpanzee. They seem to be a chimpanzee having the size and behavior of a gorilla. They sleep on the ground like gorillas, but eat a diet mainly consisting of fruit, as does the chimpanzee.

When the moon rises and sets, these large animals hoot at it. This behavior has not been seen in other primates. The apes are gorilla-like animals having chimpanzee behavior.

It is unknown whether this is a new species of ape, or a new species of chimpanzee. Some have speculated that it might be a cross between the chimpanzee and gorilla, although it is unknown whether the chimpanzee and gorilla can breed. Thus, it might be an undiscovered genetic relative of humans.

Some reports have called the animal a biped and say it often carries things in its hands.

The animals have been described in the International Journal of Primatology and the UK magazine, New Scientist.

It is unknown wither Kermit might be a member of this species. If so, he may be the only captive member in existence. Genetic DNA studies are planned. He is highly intelligent and observant. His interest in the man's electronic instrument at the beginning of the video is evident. He motions visitors up so he can check their clothes and is especially interested in foot ware. He puts on a good display for his audience. Note his very expressive face and interest in his surroundings. He weighed 300 lbs. and was very muscular, as can be seen.

Unfortunately to the dismay of the researchers (who chained themselves to the compound fence) and everyone else, Kermit and the other chimpanzees were moved to another facility. Kermit died there soon after the move. This is a great loss, not only to science, but to the researchers, and his many human and animal friends.

The video was filmed at Dr. Sally T. Boysen's Ohio State University Chimpanzee Center

Please visit kermitscommunity to learn more about the chimps in this video

Edited by Abramelin

LOL, they are already in cages:

Cool video, thanks for the link. It is sad that Kermit died. Those where some impressive Chimps, but not the Bili Ape. The text you quoted had this to say:

A mysterious, new human-like ape has been documented by primatologists. It lives in the northern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (in central Africa). It is highly elusive and lives in difficult to reach areas, thus, little is known about it. It has been reported that these apes, which sometimes walk upright, can stand up to 6-feet tall and to have 14-inch feet. They have the large body of the gorilla, but their face is flatter and more that of the chimpanzee. They seem to be a chimpanzee having the size and behavior of a gorilla. They sleep on the ground like gorillas, but eat a diet mainly consisting of fruit, as does the chimpanzee.

Yes, I know what I copied and pasted, and these people were suggesting that Kermit was one of these Bili apes.

He is much larger than the avarage chimp.