Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Pascal the Great's tombstone carving

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Kipperphoenix

Kipperphoenix

Expert Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

• I make blog entries with stupid jokes and post them to the internet.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:57 AM

I was watching a show about ancient aliens on history and they brought up an interesting theory. The theory was the that the tombstone carving on the tomb of Pascal the Great (One of the leaders of the Mayans) shows him not being sucked into the underworld, but him piloting a spaceship. You can see what looks like Pascal breathing into some air supply tube, and at the very bottom of of the tombstone carving, you can see what looks like fire is coming out at the bottom of the supposed ship, like a space shuttle.

Here is a picture.
linked-image

What do you think about this theory?

Check out my paranormal news blog on Tumblr! TheParanormalBlog.Tumblr.com

#2    fandango

fandango

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• My Life is a juggling act, I just need more hands.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:12 AM

Well it certainly looks the part and mechanical to a degree.
I must admit though it doesn't look very comfortable for interstellar travel. I recon he would have pins and needles after the first light year.  happy.gif

#3    W Kein

W Kein

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:49 AM

Why would it be for interstellar travel? Most ancients account of human space travel involve visiting the Moon, and many of them have some pretty convincing and scientifically correct descriptions of the Moon's environment.

#4    marsapien

marsapien

Remote Viewer

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

It's a complex carving/engraving it is a bit hard to tell what it is without examining mayan symbology which is what I sugest for you to do, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of these things.
I know the Mayan belief system revolved around interdimensional travel the shamans used to gather information this way and it is said the main reason for the temples are for the purpose of interdimensional travel.

Edited by marsapien, 18 July 2009 - 06:37 AM.

#5    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

I believe that all these UFOs in old art is a clear cut case of you see what you want to see.

Edited by Hazzard, 18 July 2009 - 07:07 AM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#6    W Kein

W Kein

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hazzard on Jul 18 2009, 03:06 AM, said:

I believe that all these UFOs in old art is a clear cut case of you see what you want to see.

Well, ignoring the fact that there are no "UFOs" in Pascal's tomb carving, and no one is saying that there is...

What do you see in this 15th century painting?

linked-image

Even that guy in the background of the painting is trying to figure it out. His little dog too, evidently.

These close-ups from a 14th century painting are fun too.

linked-image
linked-image

If it's so clear cut, what do you want to see in those?

Edited by W Kein, 18 July 2009 - 07:28 AM.

#7    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,537 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Fell on Jul 18 2009, 05:57 AM, said:

I was watching a show about ancient aliens on history and they brought up an interesting theory. The theory was the that the tombstone carving on the tomb of Pascal the Great (One of the leaders of the Mayans) shows him not being sucked into the underworld, but him piloting a spaceship. You can see what looks like Pascal breathing into some air supply tube, and at the very bottom of of the tombstone carving, you can see what looks like fire is coming out at the bottom of the supposed ship, like a space shuttle.

What do you think about this theory?

Most interesting. It does look like a rocket engine at the bottom, although there obviously wouldn't be enough space for fuel for long distance flight, so I expect it's a landing module, like the Apollo lunar modules. That's probably why he's sitting in that position, it's probably designed to withstand the G forces during takeoff.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#8    marsapien

marsapien

Remote Viewer

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

Fell take a look at this thread it will show you some more pics like this and peoples views on the old art
Here

#9    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,824 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:17 AM

There's an entire thread on this in the Alt./Ancient History thread that provides a very thorough description of the very artistic conventions behind these images. Once you learn a little about it, it's amazing how these things that "can't be anything else" to a variety of credulous believer become much more tame.

This is the page -- and amusingly, it starts with the very image above.

--Jaylemurph

PS: The name of the Mayan leader is Pacal, not Pascal. Although I can recommend a Detroit band named PAS/CAL.

Edited by jaylemurph, 19 July 2009 - 03:18 AM.

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#10    KidInTheHall

KidInTheHall

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:29 AM

That's pretty cool stuff, especially the tomb. That seems a little bit too detailed to just be the sculptor's imagination though of course I could be wrong. It has happened before.

#11    W Kein

W Kein

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:31 AM

jaylemurph on Jul 18 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

There's an entire thread on this in the Alt./Ancient History thread that provides a very thorough description of the very artistic conventions behind these images. Once you learn a little about it, it's amazing how these things that "can't be anything else" to a variety of credulous believer become much more tame.

This is the page -- and amusingly, it starts with the very image above.

--Jaylemurph

So, let me get this correct here; Because art critics, previous to the modern UFO age, didn't know what to make of these artistic representations, so came up with conclusions that made sense at the time, we are are meant to accept that?  That's quite a leap; I don't think I'm comfortable jumping to such speculative conclusions on, of all things, what a painting is supposed to represent.

Add to that the track record of actual artists usually mocking what the critics happen to think concerning meaning.

And yes, amusingly enough that page starts with the first image I posted. Amusing in the sense that the conclusion that they come to is it's a cloud of light. Oh, silly me, cloud of light. It should have been so obvious.

Edited by W Kein, 19 July 2009 - 03:36 AM.

#12    KidInTheHall

KidInTheHall

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

Hmm doesn't strike me as a cloud of light. Could have been a malfunctioning weather balloon. Those things are everywhere!

#13    W Kein

W Kein

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:50 AM

KidInTheHall on Jul 18 2009, 11:45 PM, said:

Hmm doesn't strike me as a cloud of light. Could have been a malfunctioning weather balloon. Those things are everywhere!

Weather balloons, luminous clouds, dragons, ball lightning - it's a wonder we can actually get any business done up there.

#14    marsapien

marsapien

Remote Viewer

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:56 AM

W Kein on Jul 19 2009, 01:50 PM, said:

Weather balloons, luminous clouds, dragons, ball lightning - it's a wonder we can actually get any business done up there.

Ball lightning is a proven act of nature.

#15    W Kein

W Kein

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:02 AM

marsapien on Jul 18 2009, 11:56 PM, said:

Ball lightning is a proven act of nature.

And weather balloons are a proven creation of man... ?

Wait a sec, lol. Ball Lightning is not a "proven" anything!

Edited by W Kein, 19 July 2009 - 04:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users