Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Violence in Movies

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    haunted-one61

haunted-one61

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• Let us not look behind us in anger or forward in fear but around us in awareness.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 06:53 AM

I can't sleep anyway, so from a parent's point of view I'll put my 2 cents in. Yes, the world is a far more violent place now than it used to be. No, video games and movies are not to blame. My daughter is far older than her brothers. She is all grown up now, a well-adjusted adult. She played video games, watched MTV, all that stuff. Her brothers play the stuff too. It's all just a matter of what's right and wrong. What's real and what's a game. Kids know the difference. The kids that go and blow away their classmates unfortunately have parents who are not there for them, and there had to have been signs of trouble long before it happened. The parents were just to self-absorbed to notice. By the way, Angelfish, I went to Barnes & Noble and ordered "Night Watch".

We can't drive 55...... Posted Image[IMG]

#2    Angelfish

Angelfish

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

• If you could see it, then you'd understand.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:23 AM

Good Girl! **pats haunted's head**
It's rather odd you've posted this, as I'm taking place in a debate on this subject.
And I agree that the media isn't to blame(though I will readily blame them for other stuff, such as my nocturnalness and horrible grammer tongue.gif )

if you click this, the world will blow up
Posted Image
Ya know, a few days ago I found a better explaination(sp?) for Angelfish than "Cus it sounds cool".
But than I realized there was no one around to hear it, and I got really depressed.
I hope you all intend to make me feel better.

#3    Transhumanism

Transhumanism

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 09:57 AM

The evolutionary origins of human violence: http://www.hbes.com/

Don't be a weenie, become a Transhumanist: http://www.transhumanism.org/   The SCIENTIFIC movement to become biologically powerful

#4    Ozrosis

Ozrosis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:12 AM

Movies don't kill people, people kill people.

A monk approached the zen master Joshu and said "I have just entered the monastery.  Please teach me."
Joshu said, "Have you eaten your rice porridge?"
The monk replied that he had.
"Then you had better wash your bowl," Joshu said.

'The professor had come to inquire  about zen but in conversation, he spent more time talking than listening.  In response, Nan-in began pouring the professor's tea until it flowed out of the cup and onto the table.
"What are you doing!" the professor exclaimed.
"Like this cup, you are full of your own ideas," replied the master.  "How can I teach unless you first empty your cup?"

A flower falls
   even though we love it
and a weed grows
  even though we do not love it

-Dogen Zenji

#5    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:24 AM

I do believe that movies can have an affect on certain suseptible people who have under currents of nastiness and evil running through them. Look at what happened in Liverpool, UK to Jamie Bulger...This is just too horrific for words. Truly terrible, gut wretchingly, heart breakingly sad...

Jamie Bulger

He was murdered by two school boys who had watched a certain horror movie and thought it was cool to re-inact it.

Edited by Lottie, 08 May 2004 - 10:26 AM.

#6    Boff

Boff

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

• Free Tibet

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

Guns dont kill people, the goverment does  tongue.gif

-Dale Gribble

#7    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 11:57 AM

I still hold that the only way you could POSSIBLY be motivated to violence because of something you saw in a movie or video game, is if you were somehow mentally unbalanced to begin with. Despite what the censors and the government like to say, not every teenager is a deranged psycopath, who is somehow unable to tell the difference between reality and fiction.

Most violence caused by teenagers is down to lashing out against bullies when the schools do nothing, or when a person snaps because of a terrible home life...although it's true they're not unknown, instances where teenagers tool themselves up with guns, and walk into school to kill people because "they think it's a cool thing to do" are few and far between, and the kids who do them could hardly be called "normal" to begin with.

He was murdered by two school boys who had watched a certain horror movie and thought it was cool to re-inact it.

To this day, I wonder what was going through those two kid's heads...I do actually have a very hard time trying to think of a single more disturbing act of indiscriminate, unreasoning evil by one human being on another.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#8    50Cent

50Cent

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

• Be yourself everyone else is taken.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:25 PM

Just remember movies, videogames, guns, amd tv don't turn a person violent. That's the persons choice to be that way. bounce.gif  

~Reality Is Fake Dreams Are For Real~Posted Image

#9    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 08 May 2004 - 04:54 PM

I actually did beat up a few people once .

Why ?

It definatly was not due to video games , TV , music , or anything else our government would like us to believe .

But it was because the three people I beat up were bullies who would constantly beat up my freinds after school , they would torment people with words and condemn anyone they thought was "uncool" . They would push others against the wall and pound them for no apperant reason . They would constantly have the most arrogant attitudes and thought about raping practically every girl they saw , But worst of all , they enjoyed it ... and guess what the school administration did ? Nothing . They knew what was going on , but none of them did anything to stop it . They sat there in their office doing JACK SQUAT about the problems going on as if they didnt exist ( And I can assure you that every teacher in the school knew what was going on )

So one day when they were on one of their little crusades against whover they deemed "unworthy of their presence" they decided to try and beat up the red head kid who always wears a black jacket . Was I going to stand there and let them pummel me ? No . So guess what happened after I was done ? I got suspended for weeks ( despite what I was doing could be considered self defense ) And guess what the bullies got ? A parent teacher conferance .  disgust.gif

Whats interesting is that the gov tells us that media is the cause of school violence . Bullsh#t . Anyone with half a brain can look into human history and find that violence was invented looooong before the corporate media . The real cause of violence is simple .

1 )Human stupidity  tongue.gif

2 )Bad government / surroundings / being brought up in poor conditions ( family issues )

Our government probobly knows this too . Every time I see some politician say "We need to put a ban on violent videogames , TV blah blah blah *rambles on about self rightousness*" All I hear is another lame attempt to shift the blame away from the true cause . The only reason parents like to accept that the media is responsible for everything is because it relieves themselves of the blame that they should have .

Posted Image

#10    50Cent

50Cent

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

• Be yourself everyone else is taken.

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

There is times to fight and times to walk away. Sounds like you picked the right choice, but why would you get suspended for weeks? The most you get suspended for my school is 5days.  crying.gif  

~Reality Is Fake Dreams Are For Real~Posted Image

#11    SerenitysRiver

SerenitysRiver

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

• Lady Serenity of Moe, Goddess of Mongeese.
    Reflections are merely what we see in ourselves.

Posted 20 June 2004 - 05:39 AM

I wrote a paper on this topic once. I also agree: the media does not kill. It does horrible things: it can encourage hate or prejudice, it can show us violence, but it is not the only factor, or even the primary factor, for blame. The boys in the James B. case had to have had something wrong, either in their mental stability or their homelife/lifestyle/social surroundings, that contributed to this.

It is sad when people commit horrible acts. The blame is placed on those who commit the acts, though. (With some blame placed on those sick people who might have influenced them, ie, those who brainwash and could be a threat to society through their influence over others.) Only when Charles Manson (or someone of the like) gets control over the media will they be placed with the blame.

Posted Image
"Just remember: Guns don't kill people; puppies kill people."-Fluffybunny
"Honors students are still evil human beings.... they're just better at it." - my teacher
"We do lots of interesting things in the locker room.... that sounded differently than it came out...." -Greg

#12    chico del nacho

chico del nacho

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

• First and Foremost Member of The Doomsday Bananas

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

in my opinion, the only people that can become violent by seeing violence in the media are either already crazy or just plain stupid. someone who watches people being slaughtered on tv and then thinks they can slaughter people too is a complete and utter moron.

i still vote for social democracy. it's like communism lite! only 1/3 the calories of normal communism!
whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was never poor.
I think there's something innately wrong about most people to inspire alien curiousity.
i'm so proud of this post...
Seriousness is stupidity sent to college. -P. J. O'Rourke
Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. -Oscar Wilde

#13    Fenris

Fenris

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

• most grimley fiendish wabbithunting elfieblush making member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Lottie @ May 8 2004, 11:24 AM)
Jamie Bulger

I disagree, if they haddn't watched that film IMO its would have been something else. Kids don't need an excuse to pull the wings off a fly, those kids had a lack of parental discipline/guidence that in most other cases would have stopped them turning those same impulses on another child.

In the dead of night
A shimmewin' wight
Gweem of a bwade
And dah devew was paid
When dah axe comes down
A chiwin' sound
Steel hits da head
Anothaw wabbit's dead
I'm a wabbit swayer
A guitaw pwayaw
With a nasty habbit

Kill dah wabbit!!! (hah hah hah)
AhhhaahooOhhh

I'm a mean mistweetah
A wabbit feastah
And I pwedict
A bwoody Eastaw
A scuwowing shadow
And dah shadow was dis wabbit
And dah night air echoes
Kill dah wabbit!!!
Kill dah wabbit!!!

#14    The Nameless One

The Nameless One

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

• (\ /)
    (0.0)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Frank The Rabbit: 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posted 20 June 2004 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (haunted-one61 @ May 8 2004, 07:53 AM)
I can't sleep anyway, so from a parent's point of view I'll put my 2 cents in. Yes, the world is a far more violent place now than it used to be. No, video games and movies are not to blame. My daughter is far older than her brothers. She is all grown up now, a well-adjusted adult. She played video games, watched MTV, all that stuff. Her brothers play the stuff too. It's all just a matter of what's right and wrong. What's real and what's a game. Kids know the difference. The kids that go and blow away their classmates unfortunately have parents who are not there for them, and there had to have been signs of trouble long before it happened. The parents were just to self-absorbed to notice. By the way, Angelfish, I went to Barnes & Noble and ordered "Night Watch".

20,000 people a year were sacrificed by the Aztec royalty. This royalty was made up of a priest class. The priests directly served the Chosen Speaker. In Tenochtitlan, the Aztec capital city (with between 150,000 and 300,00 inhabitants it was one of the biggest metropolises in the world at the time) there were five thousand priests.

1200 Ghenghis Khan almost completely conquered Asia.

70 A.D. Destruction of Jerusalem 1,100,000 Jews were killed and 97,000 taken into slavery and captivity by the Romans.

Lets not forget the Gladiators!!!

1095 The Holy Crusades

Don't forget the slavery of blacks in 17th and 18th century of America.

Dont forget Hitler and Stalin.

I could go on and on forever and ever, but the point is that Yes todays world is still very violent, but violence and crime have actually (Decreased) all the throughout the world. Only in the United States alone more than 11,000 people are killed by acts of violence each year.
Crime is going down, because Laws and Law Enforcement keeps getting stronger.

And yes don't be fooled Video Games, Movies, and Music do influence children.

It is estimated that the average child watches from three to five hours of television a day! Listening to music is also a time consuming pastime among children. With all of that exposure, one might pose the question, "How can seeing so much violence on television and video games and hearing about violence in in music affect a child's behavior?" Obviously these media have a big influence on childrens' behavior: we can see it in the way they attempt to emulate their favorite rock stars by dressing in a similar style and the way children play games, imitating their favorite cartoon personalities or super heroes. Studies have shown that extensive television viewing may be associated with, "aggressive behavior, poor academic performance, precocious sexuality, obesity, and the use of drugs or alcohol." Television, video games, and music are very influential and if their is too much violence available for children to watch, play, or listen to, this can sway their attitudes in a negative direction.

The effects of mass media on children remain such a significant concern that the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a statement in 1999 warning pediatricians to “incorporate questions about media use into their patient’s routine visits” and “serve as role models by limiting the use of television and videos in waiting rooms and patient rooms,” among other suggestions (quoted in Preboth, 2000, p. 890).

Events of recent years have pushed to center stage the study of another mass medium, interactive video games, in the investigation of media effects on children.  In some instances, the negative dangers of video games have been viewed as much more momentous than those of television because, although both media contain violent entertainment content and have numerous technical similarities, video games require that the consumer become actively involved (Scott, 1995).  Studies of video game content and effects have been conducted for nearly two decades, and the medium was questioned as early as 1982 when U. S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop stated that U. S. children “are into the games, body and soul – everything is zapping the enemy.  Children get to the point where when they see another child being molested by a third child, they just sit back” (quoted in Scott, 1995, p. 121).  

However, video games received more attention that ever after Columbine High School students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and wounded 23 others before killing themselves in a shooting spree April 20, 1999, in Littleton, Colorado (“Portrait,” 1999).  In the following weeks, reports that Harris and Klebold were enthusiasts of violent computer games – as was Michael Carneal, who in 1997 killed three of his classmates in a Paducah, Kentucky, school shooting – prompted intensive public scrutiny and legislative investigation of the effects of video games on children (Hanson, 1999).  

Especially with regard to recent incidents of youth violence in the news, interactive video games have been the subject of the same investigation and criticism that Wartella and Reeves (1985) found in existing studies of radio, film, and television.  This study examines scholarly and popular press views and findings describing the use and possible positive and negative effects of interactive video games, especially regarding the much-scrutinized issues of aggression and violence. The development and evolution of the games themselves is also addressed, again with emphasis on violence and aggression. Finally, regulation of the medium is discussed, as are the possible implications of the role and effects of this medium in the future.

Popularity and Supervision in the United States

It is indisputable that video games are a very popular entertainment source in the United States today.  Video games sales total about $7 billion each year in the United States, and over 40% of U. S. television households had at least one video console unit in 1995 (Dorman, 1997).  In a 1993 survey of 357 seventh- and eighth-grade students, the average time spent by each student playing video games was 14.2 hours a week (Funk, 1993).  

My Final Statements- I am almost 23 years old I graduated in 2000, and Music, T.V, my extra curricular activities such as wrestling in highschool, to being in the Chess Club, to Writing poems for the Skeleton. All this stuff has influenced my life it molded me into who I am today.

Before a Wreslting match if the team sat and listened to White Zombie, and Pantera we would get so pumped up we would demolish other teams. I can't explain why, but it just gives you this surge of adrenaline and you just want to break somebodies face you want to hurt them you want to be VICTORIOUS.
Without White Zombie, yeah we would still win but we never had that fire in our eyes that would guarantee a sure victory.

Not everyone is influenced by music, but a few are I was one of those people. I idolized Peter Steele as a kid the lead singer of Type O Negative.
Playing Chess gave me a love for mathematics.

All I can say is that anyone who tells you that music, t.v, and video games don't influence people well they are living a lie.

Yours truly TNO.

Edited by The Nameless One, 20 June 2004 - 05:33 PM.

One night I ventured to my wooden rocking chair right outside my back porch, and I looked to the sky in the break of twilight, staring into the dark mirror of space, filled with sands of star dust, colossal supernovas and red giants, strings of wormholes and distant planets beyond my grasp. A place where tiny enigmatic hidden black holes tear through the fabric of space and time which, who knows; may lead into other dimensions and perhaps alternate realities. And as I look up at this heavens mirror which my hands can only reach so far through this looking glass, I felt an odd sensation of something looking back staring into my own eyes, staring into a whole other universe of which I new nothing about until I saw my reflection within it, and in that moment I then knew that the key which open the portal doors to parallel worlds was myself.    "The Eyes of the Universe, Chris Landrum"

#15    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

in my opinion, the only people that can become violent by seeing violence in the media are either already crazy or just plain stupid. someone who watches people being slaughtered on tv and then thinks they can slaughter people too is a complete and utter moron.

Citizens of Moe. The Doomsday Banana has spoken. Let this speech be known as the Doomday Address, and if your kids are morons- do not let them watch violent movies.

Tis true banana. The media is not to blame. There is always going to be some idiot who doesnt understand the difference between cinema and reality.
   There ought to be a new rating system.

Rated NI : No idiots allowed

Rated M  : Morons strongly cautioned

Rated NI-13 : No idiots under 13 allowed without adult idiot supervision

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users