Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Street Light Interference Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

"Have you ever noticed that whenever a certain person is near electronic devices, that they seem to go out or malfunction? Or perhaps you have this problem with electronics yourself. Even streetlights seem to go out whenever a certain person is around them, especially when they’re giving off a lot of psychic energy. Why?

This phenomenon is called street light interference — SLI. Street lights, televisions, computers, cell phones, watches, etc. seem to have problems whenever a SLIder is near. Allegedly, this is some type of electromagnetic disturbance that their subconscious gives off. Those who have this ability seem to be unable to control it. They’re not like Carrie White, who can telepathically destroy everything in her path. No, street light interference and electro-interference appear to be triggered subconsciously by certain individuals."
Source and full article

Any members here have SLIders or know anyone else that does?

#2    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

• This Machine Kills Fascists

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:19 AM

Street lights are designed to turn themselves off for brief intervals if the bulb becomes too warm.

#3    antianti

antianti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

I think this makes more sense when you find out how the light in most street lights work.  An electromagnetic lever and light sensitive material.  Then that over time the street lights may become worn, or more sensitive to interference.

#4    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:33 AM

This is the first time I hear about this. Mind you, I myself am a person that gives off static electricity quite easely. I keep zapping on anything that's metal, sometimes even laptops. I know this is due to us having carpet in our office and my long hair is most likely not helping either. Methinks static discharges could be the cullprit here.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#5    DrunkDwarf

DrunkDwarf

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

My mother has always told me that she has had this effect on street lights from childhood. When she would walk underneath them in times of high emotion/stress, the lights would blink out as she passed below them. Ive never been able to witness this effect first-hand however.

Edited by DrunkDwarf, 28 July 2009 - 01:35 PM.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

Visit my blog at http://www.brianmcgillivray.com/

#6    dark_pixie777

dark_pixie777

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

This happens to me alot, i'm so use to it i barely pay attention to it anymore.

#7    Grey Area

Grey Area

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

I have a friend who has real bad luck with electronic equipment, we joke about it when playing games over my LAN, but I am not so sure it really is him that is the problem.  So many people in cities have wireless devices, modems, phones, walkie talkies even baby monitors it doesnt suprise me that equipment malfunctions from time to time.  

The atmosphere is so flooded with multi spectral activity, this phenomonen is much more likely to be a coincidental effect, with the frequency of coincidences increasing tenfold as more and more things go wireless.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there
first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett.

#8    Jessem

Jessem

Future Husband

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

• No matter what anyone say's, you can make a difference... you probably already have.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Grey Area, on Jul 29 2009, 05:51 AM, said:

I have a friend who has real bad luck with electronic equipment, we joke about it when playing games over my LAN, but I am not so sure it really is him that is the problem.  So many people in cities have wireless devices, modems, phones, walkie talkies even baby monitors it doesnt suprise me that equipment malfunctions from time to time.  

The atmosphere is so flooded with multi spectral activity, this phenomonen is much more likely to be a coincidental effect, with the frequency of coincidences increasing tenfold as more and more things go wireless.
This is true but one to many impecable timing scenarios kind of makes you think? Especially driving down the highway and 3 or 4 of them turn off all in a row as your car passes. Kind of freaks you out. And those lights are designed to "cool down" every other light. Not more than one in a row.

The secret of life is'nt trying to figure out the secret, its about living it.

#9    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Titanic's Deck Swab

• 5,569 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:48 AM

I do not accept "this phenomenon" as legitimate, as at the very least, it is simply taking a chunk of one of a larger phenomenon's symptoms, and making it its own subject. If anything at all, if people really interfere with electromagnetic fields... then... doesn't it make sense it would be "EM Interference - EMI"? I believe this is the equivalent of calling a typical epileptic episode "Continuous Spontaneous Left Index Finger Movement Syndrome - CSLIFMS"  - this interpretation is equally as valid as this internet fed SLI abomination.

However, at least internet-wise, I am outvoted, as depending on how you arrange the words "street", "light" and  "interference" result in either 358,000, 134,000, 432, 269,000 or even Street Light Interference Syndrome, which has 13,200 hits in Google.

Edited by Paranormalcy, 30 July 2009 - 01:58 AM.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#10    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:59 AM

Paranormalcy, on Jul 29 2009, 09:48 PM, said:

However, at least internet-wise, I am outvoted, as depending on how you arrange the words "street", "light" and  "interference" result in either 358,000, 134,000, 432, 269,000 or even Street Light Interference Syndrome, which has 13,200 hits in Google.

I think more people call it "Street Lamp Interference". it makes sense that more people would notice a light going out, rather then it staying on.

#11    DrunkDwarf

DrunkDwarf

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

Paranormalcy, on Jul 30 2009, 02:48 AM, said:

I do not accept "this phenomenon" as legitimate, as at the very least, it is simply taking a chunk of one of a larger phenomenon's symptoms, and making it its own subject. If anything at all, if people really interfere with electromagnetic fields... then... doesn't it make sense it would be "EM Interference - EMI"? I believe this is the equivalent of calling a typical epileptic episode "Continuous Spontaneous Left Index Finger Movement Syndrome - CSLIFMS"  - this interpretation is equally as valid as this internet fed SLI abomination.

My mother told me about her interference with street lights specifically well before she ever visited the internet.

I think it is a specific subset of phenomena as people seem to notice the street light interference more easily, quite often without causing any strange effects with other electronic components.

It could be that Street Lights are just more sensitive in general, either to very slight "psychic" or "electromagnetic" ability, or more likely to vibration through the ground due to heavier stomping when in a highly emotional state.

Edited by DrunkDwarf, 30 July 2009 - 01:08 PM.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

Visit my blog at http://www.brianmcgillivray.com/

#12    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

I am highly skeptical of this.  I've known a few people who claimed that streetlights would act erratically when they got near them, turning off, flickering, etc., but not one has ever been able to affect a streetlight while I was watching. It's also difficult to gauge this sort of thing because street lights tend to flicker and turn on and off anyway.

I watched one of those cheesy TV shows not that long ago that present a few baffling cases and then you're meant to decide if they were real or not, and there was one on this phenomena. That guy could not make it happen for the cameras either.

I honestly believe that people who think that they can interfere with street lights are really only taking notice of the coincedental flickering/turning off of a street light when they are near it and not the other times when nothing happens.

#13    DurgaMata

DurgaMata

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

There are cases of people getting ill from electromagnetic radiation so some people are more sensitive than others. As for the other way round I'm not sure... A friend of mine once demonstrated he could make a street light blink while walking under it. Funny it only worked on one street light  ^_^

#14    J Gab

J Gab

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

A friend of mine jokes and says that when I'm in her car the lights tend to go out a lot more. Though, I partially think she's being serious- because they did tend to go out frequently. For a few months I had serious static shock, and would have to touch my car's roof when getting out to pump gas because I would generate a shock while sitting in my car.

I'd also somehow generate one while in my room that has wood flooring and no carpet. I hadn't really thought about it until now, but strange nonetheless.

I don't believe there's really a phenomenon though. They tested a man for the EMFs and what not on one of those old SciFi channel shows- and found that he was no different than anyone else. I believe they also showed that not all the lights when out when he walked under or near them.

#15    jay123

jay123

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

This is a perfect example of a thinking trap IMO.

Now, I'm sitting next to a window, and from it i can see around 8 streetlights, one of these doesn't work. Infact, when walking at night, it's rare not to come across atleast one broken streetlight.

So it stands to reason that street lights brake often.
I can also say with certainty, that people often walk underneath said streetlights.

So the chances of these happening together are more likely than they appear. I mean, it's happened to me several times and at the time, it seems miraculous. But when actualy put into perspective. It not all that unlikely that the thing  just happened to brake whilst you were near to it.

:hmm:

It's like the elders told me, no one person can do everything, but everyone can do something.~ Immortal technique & Akir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users