Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Anger Over Japanese Kappa Scam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    News-Bot

News-Bot

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:48 AM

Posted By Saruman on Tuesday, November 19 2002

Subject: Anger Over Japanese Kappa Scam

Producers of NTV's controversial variety program "Denpa Shonen ni Kega Haeta" have refused to apologize over a hare-brained scam involving sightings of a mythical monster in Iwate Prefecture.

NTV screened in its entirety Saturday night a "Denpa Shonen" program featuring an actor forced to live for about three months in the wilderness around the Iwate Prefecture city of Tono while posing as a mythical kappa, a Japanese monster, despite vehement protests by local officials. Tono officials claim the program made fools of local residents, while the media circus that broke out when people claimed to have sighted the mythical creature disrupted their lives.

Click Here To Read The Complete Article......

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,722 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 November 2002 - 06:13 PM

This sounds to me like the ideal documented example of how easily people can be fooled by someone in a costume.

How many other sightings of strange creatures ( skunk ape, dover demon, loveland frog, mothman ) can be attributed to this sort of deception ?

#3    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 21 November 2002 - 12:48 AM

You have to admit though, pretending to be that big bird in Alaska would be hard to pull off!!   :s2

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#4    Druss

Druss

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

• My tongue is firmly in my cheek

Posted 21 November 2002 - 09:10 PM

I always thought that Big Bird was a man in a suit

:s2  :s2

#5    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 23 November 2002 - 05:10 PM

:s2

I think with the prediliction for reality shows this sort of thing is going to become more and more common, with the media thinking up new things to tempt viewers

never take me too seriously

#6    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 03:30 AM

I wouldn't put it past the Japaneese reality shows, they do just about anything they want to the contestants just for a buck(well Yen I guess).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users