Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dog like creatures?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    rainbow_serpent

rainbow_serpent

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:01 AM

Hello has their ever been reports of dog like beasts? I'm writing a movie script and I want it to be based on something authentic. Also: have indians ever reported mythical beasts?

#2    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

• "There are a terrible lot of lies going round the world, and the worst of it is that they're true." Winston Churchill

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:10 AM

Well for the Native American Monsters (I think you are refering to them and not the east Indians) theres big foot for one, that nessi like one called onoga or something, and theres that Inuit one called Qulupulit (most likly wrong spelling.

For the dog one I think there is some type of scottish legend based around a strange dog but the name escapes me.  You could also use the 3 headed dog that guarded the entrance into the under world, I also forget it's name.

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yeild to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

#3    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:15 AM

This is a repost of mine from a different forum:

Back in my hometown of Brixham, Devon, England, there was this old bridge that used to have traintracks going over it. The tracks had long since vanished leaving just the bridge which was deep and made of grey stone that was blackened underneath. It was flat on top, and arched underneath like the top of a basketball. The roof was quite low to the ground where the road went under it.
I had never seen anything but there had been many, MANY strange sightings of a ghostly huge black dog that would watch cars driving underneath sometimes, and even run out of one wall into the car, dent the car and fall over dead. When the person got out of the car, they would see a huge dent on their car hood with black shorched claw marks, but no sign of any animal.
Rumour had it that back in the late 1940's when the tracks were still in use a great dog had been crushed by the train on the tracks going over the bridge.

My Dad showed me once huge scratch marks on the walls under the tunnel. That was enough to make me not want to go back there.

#4    rainbow_serpent

rainbow_serpent

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (jenk @ May 18 2004, 03:10 AM)
Well for the Native American Monsters (I think you are refering to them and not the east Indians) theres big foot for one, that nessi like one called onoga or something, and theres that Inuit one called Qulupulit (most likly wrong spelling.

For the dog one I think there is some type of scottish legend based around a strange dog but the name escapes me.  You could also use the 3 headed dog that guarded the entrance into the under world, I also forget it's name.

Thank you. I've already started writing the script. These beasts could perhaps be wolf like instead of dog like. In the film they are going to destroy someones crops. Can you think of anything wolf like or boar(sp?) like that is based on legend that would destroy property?

#5    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

• "There are a terrible lot of lies going round the world, and the worst of it is that they're true." Winston Churchill

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:25 AM

Well there is the Fenris Wolf that will distroy the world during the Ragnorak (norse), that might be a little to much distrution!  He has to brothers as well, one will eat the moon the other the sun.  Well there is always werewolves, but that is over used way to much.  I can't think of any wolf or dog like monster that would try to distroy crops realy.  I could see them going after the live stock though and lairing in the crops.  The boar would be better as a crop killer but there are not very many legendary boar.  The only boar that comes to mind is the greek metal boar.  Perhaps you could tell me alittle about the script?

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yeild to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

#6    Idahomr2man

Idahomr2man

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

• Let's do this, Like Brutus

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (jenk @ May 18 2004, 03:10 AM)

Scottish is the Black Shulk, I think you mean.  And the three headed one is Cerebrus from Greek mythology.

Homestarrunner.net!  It's dot com!!!

#7    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:12 AM

That's it!  I can't believe I forgot it's name!

#8    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:38 PM

and for the native american monters, there ar:
the piasa, a man eating bird monster that starred in cliff paintings
the windigo, another man eater, but a zombie/vampire type that likes to hide
the wendigo, a spirit that consumes your soul

#9    Fairie

Fairie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• I am a practical methodology!

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

I read something ages ago about a black dog legend in america, a man was walking through a graveyard and huge black dog walked up to him and said "I shall want you within the week" and he died the next day.
I've heard about black dogs in england being thought responsible for mysterious fires, but I don't know about any in america.

Oh brave new world that has such creatures in it!
"You can knock, you can rock it, you can go to Timbuctoo, but you'll never find a Nessie in the Zoo!"
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#10    chico del nacho

chico del nacho

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

• First and Foremost Member of The Doomsday Bananas

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:00 PM

if it's in eastern canada or north eastern america, you can do the loup garou. it's a lot like a werewolf but different in ways i can't remember at the moment.

Edited by chico del nacho, 18 May 2004 - 05:01 PM.

i still vote for social democracy. it's like communism lite! only 1/3 the calories of normal communism!
whoever said "money can't buy happiness" was never poor.
I think there's something innately wrong about most people to inspire alien curiousity.
i'm so proud of this post...
Seriousness is stupidity sent to college. -P. J. O'Rourke
Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow. -Oscar Wilde

#11    Angelfish

Angelfish

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

• If you could see it, then you'd understand.

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:19 PM

Or you could always go with a hellhound.
I've racked my brain, but that's all I can think of that hasn't been said yet.

if you click this, the world will blow up
Posted Image
Ya know, a few days ago I found a better explaination(sp?) for Angelfish than "Cus it sounds cool".
But than I realized there was no one around to hear it, and I got really depressed.
I hope you all intend to make me feel better.

#12    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, it's called Cujo.  

#13    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,897 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

Im not sure where it is (either Asia or Europe) there were reports by some people of seeing a dinosaur like beast with a dog like head wandering around in the forest.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#14    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (chico del nacho @ May 18 2004, 06:00 PM)
if it's in eastern canada or north eastern america, you can do the loup garou. it's a lot like a werewolf but different in ways i can't remember at the moment.

i was under the impression that in parisian french, loup garou actually meant werewolf. its different in cajun french, of course.

#15    Wild_Woman

Wild_Woman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

• If I make myself obscure, it's because I think in scores of tangents simultaneously.

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:34 AM

You are all going on about dog-like creatures from Europe and America. There is this dog like creatue from Australia. it comes from lakes and folows people. growing in size every time you look behind you, then dissapearing.

As I was going down the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users