Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google traffic influx

Saru

Update

Ok so what we originally thought was a denial of service attack has turned out to be a huge influx of traffic to the site as Google has featured "unexplained phenomena" as their logo picture link of the day and we're listed at the top.

While this is great news for UM it does mean that the site is going to be practically inaccessable come peak time due to being hammered with traffic, so its something of a mixed blessing.

We're still working with our server provider to minimize disruption however it'll be a case of weathering the storm for a while, things should return to normal again in a day or so.

Note: Some of the site's features have been disabled for now to help cope with the load.

Edited by Saru

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Caesar

• aquatus1

• Princess Serenity

Must be quite an idiot to attack UM... nothing to be gained by that.

Exactly what would the people who run the server have to gain from something like this?

Exactly what would the people who run the server have to gain from something like this?

Umm...good customer service? And a reputation for not allowing DOS attacks on their sites?

Ah. Go away mean people! D<

Thanks for the heads up, Saru. *Sighs*

Thanks for the update... I was wondering why everything was going turtle sloooooowww... I posted a long response in another thread, then it vanished and said that the site was too busy, when I came back it had been eaten... then the next time I copy/pasted the response on a word document as a backup before trying to post in case it got eaten again lol...

Ahh...I was wondering why things were acting a bit screwy. :unsure2:

Thanks for letting us know. :tu:

Our server is currently at the receiving end of a Denial of Service attack, we are currently working with our server provider to resolve this however in the meantime the site will load much slower than usual.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Hey Saru, has this got anything to do with clicking google's logo returning a link to the UM site? Traffic overload?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163296

Hey Saru, has this got anything to do with clicking google's logo returning a link to the UM site? Traffic overload?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163296

Well i'll be damned, your absolutely correct, that would explain what's happening.

I found this about Google and how its figured or something like that,

Google’s "Unexplained Phenomenon" Logo

The Google US homepage and other local Google homepages are currently showing a UFO logo doodle (the flying saucer shown seems to kidnap the a letter from the logo). In the US, the search query linked from the logo is unexplained phenomenon. Does anyone know if there’s a special story behind this logo appearing today?

[Thanks Moses and DeSalvionjr!]

Update: WebSonic points to the following info from Wikipedia:

On September 5th, 2009, Google tweeted out “1.12.12 25.15.21.18 15 1.18.5 2.5.12.15.14.7 20.15 21.19”, a cipher for “all your ’O’ are belong to us”. The cipher was based on a straight alpha-numeric transliteration, wherein 1=a, 2=b, 3=c, etc., Google coincided this tweet with a www.google.com homepage graphic in which a UFO is abducting the second ’O’ in Google.

[Thanks WebSonic!]

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2009-09-05-n62.html

o-o

Some buttons aren't even loading. And I tried to log in earlier. And I got a page not found. And the board itself wouldn't show.

;.;

I found this about Google and how its figured or something like that,

Google’s "Unexplained Phenomenon" Logo

That logo is now showing in the U.S. I'm sure alot of people are clicking on it and U.M. being number two that the traffic has really picked up here, putting alot of stress on the database. I aslo think google has changed its search results some are calling it a google caffeine update.

Darn that Google! :) I started noticing a lot of latency and even some timeouts over the last 2 days. It is consistent with network congestion and/or server overloading.

Couldn't log in at all last night. Here OK tonight. So that's what happened. Home page looked funny tonight too. Thanks for the heads-up. Thought it was me for a while :)

I think with all the traffic, Suru limited programs that process queries each page uses when its loaded.

I think its all solved...I dont find any changes however this may be due to my excitement since I haven't logged on to UM for a week

Thanks

B???

Google have now changed their logo back to the usual one and a result the amount of traffic we are getting has dropped down to manageable levels, all the disabled site features have been re-enabled again.

I want to thank everyone for their patience in bearing with us this weekend despite the poor load times we were experiencing, hopefully this event will have helped to bring a lot of new members to the site and will see the forum community growing steadily larger for some time to come. :tu:

Positively taken Saru

Good work

Thanks

B???

• 1 month later...

If i would of been here when that happenend i would of let you use 1 of my dedicated servers (well i only have 1 and 8 hosting server packages and 3 vps) but on topic so you could of helped manage it has a high spec.

if this does ever happen again please do pm some :)