Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Has Anyone Been To Hell?


  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1    _Only

_Only

  • Member
  • 6,493 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern California

  • Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

So I went to a rehab 4 years ago, and one day we had a group where everyone had to write down their deepest secrets, put them in a hat, and then they would be read out loud anonymously. I know, it's a horrible idea for many reasons, but anyway...

One of the cards read out loud said "I'm extremely afraid to be alone in the dark". And some people kind of laughed (I said it was a bad idea didn't I?). Well, in a group the next day, the person who wrote that came out and said they did because they were hurt how people were laughing, and he proceeded to explain a hell of a lot more.

Well, he was an 18 or 19 year old boy who was extremely scared to be alone in the dark because he was constantly being tortured by seeing demonic creatures in his room or all through his house whenever he was alone. Like when he would lay awake in bed trying to go to sleep, ghosts and stuff would constantly be walking past and in his room and even these scaly looking things would touch him. Whenever he is alone in his house doors open and close right in front of him, and once he heard a voice laughing at him as he tried to open an unlocked door and some force kept pulling it back.  :blink:

Anyway, you can see after he started telling the group this it pretty much took over the group topic. We talked about it and asked him questions for probably over half an hour. So about halfway through, he told us something which I find very interesting. He said when he was 4 he drowned in a swimming pool. I can't remember the exact details of how long he was clinically "dead" before being revived and I don't want to argue over semantics on what "dead" actually is. But he said after trying to swim back to the top, he felt a "weird feeling" and then he was in a place of extreme darkness. I say extreme darkness because that's what he put a lot of emphasis in. He kept saying "it was darker than the darkest black you can think of". He said he had the worst feeling ever and wanted more than anything to get out. He was also extremely scared because he could hear multiple people laughing at him.

Well, obviously, he was eventually revived, and never forgot the experience. He said ever since, he's been tormented by weird things when he's alone, and that was the reason he was so scared to be alone in the dark. That's even why he said he decided to join the Coast Guard, so he wouldn't have to sleep alone.

The whole story blew me away, and was the sole reason for me getting interested in paranormal stuff, and eventually signing up to this site. That was the 1st time I actually met someone in real life who actually experienced this stuff, and not just some intervew on TV or people posting on a site like this. And it hit me so hard because, I don't know if you've been to rehab, but it's where people get the most "real" and bonded I've ever seen strangers get with eachother, and that's what gave him the courage to talk about this with the group, when normally he would be extremely embarassed to tell anyone about it.

One of the big questions I had after hearing it though was, did he go to Hell? I researched a lot of stuff after hearing the story and almost all other people who have a near-death experience say they go to a place of light and feel love. But his was the exact opposite, so would you think that would be Hell? And another big question, why the hell (no pun intended) would a 4 year old go to Hell??

So I doubt any people here have actually "died" before, but maybe you have heard from someone somewhere who experienced the same thing when they had a near-death experience. And if so, did that person also get tormented from that day on?

Edited by Jerry Only, 11 September 2009 - 03:21 PM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#2    J Gab

J Gab

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2007

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

To speak with logic here- there could easily be a better explanation for what he was experiencing. What was this rehab for? If he was in rehab for alcohol or drugs...then his story has no hold whatsoever. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say he was able minded and not crazy. Considering the things I personally have experienced, I feel his pain.

There are many theories to what he may have experienced though. People have come out and said they went to Hell, but it was a red light. Since he was 4, he may not have known about the stipulation of Hell usually being red and on fire- and thus his mind, body and soul could have gone to purgatory for all we know or (according to some scientists) what we see is a creation of our imagination and that was his. Truthfully, we don't know. No one can answer that without a doubt.

Instead, you can only focus on his experiences afterwards. Some people who have had NDEs come back and can see things and feel things others can't. I've never had a true NDE, but I have a friend who was dead and revived when he was 3 or 4. He doesn't recall any light though. But he does claim to see the future in his dreams. To know things he shouldn't.

He knew I could see things (not being specific on purpose because that's another story) before I ever told him. He knew I had been possessed by something while ghost hunting. But that was him, and I do trust him. He doesn't seem insane like others I've also met in the same boat. So, the question I leave you then is- do you trust this man? Did you trust him? Because if the answer is 'no' then you can't truly say it was the truth. But if the answer is 'yes' then you can only take it as it is.

A Simple Letter (Yes, I have a book!)

#3    sinewave

sinewave

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,099 posts
  • Joined:23 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Midwest

  • Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

I've been to a place far worse than Hell. I've been through Heathrow Airport.  Seriously though, distressed or mentally ill people are often quite convinced of paranormal activity around them. Judging from the context of the story it is fair to assume one or the other was true of the teller.


#4    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

...at the ice capades?

but seriously, i doubt they went to a fictional place.
and if he and you had never heard of christianity, you wouldnt be under the impression it was 'hell'

the truth is out there....

#5    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,716 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

If you're religious, or believe in a "hell" as well as Christianity, children under the age of those who have the knowledge of right or wrong (adults, teens) do not go to hell. Jesus said, "Suffer the little children, come unto me." that's what the verse entails. Either your friend had an NDE of some type, or he is displaying possible attention seeking behavior it seems. A lot of times in group therapy there tends to be certain individuals who dominate, or try to divert the attention and sometimes whole group time to themselves. As a psych student, I've personally seen that a lot and the behavior usually stems from one of several forms of personality disorder.

Edited by SpiderCyde, 11 September 2009 - 04:25 PM.


#6    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,716 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

View Postsinewave, on 11 September 2009 - 03:45 PM, said:

I've been to a place far worse than Hell. I've been through Heathrow Airport.  Seriously though, distressed or mentally ill people are often quite convinced of paranormal activity around them. Judging from the context of the story it is fair to assume one or the other was true of the teller.

Dude, I've been to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles...you can't touch this. lol


#7    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

    The Ultra One

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Joined:23 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

View Postsinewave, on 11 September 2009 - 03:45 PM, said:

I've been to a place far worse than Hell. I've been through Heathrow Airport.  Seriously though, distressed or mentally ill people are often quite convinced of paranormal activity around them. Judging from the context of the story it is fair to assume one or the other was true of the teller.

Hilarious, but back to the top, the part where he say's that he joined the coast guard so he wouldn't have to sleep alone is very sad.  I "died" when I was younger also and I didn't know it because I too became engulfed in a vast darkness.  But I wouldn't say it was hell though because I don't believe in heaven or hell.  I also was not aware of what was happening, there was just nothing until I was brought back.  That experience did more than any other in changing my religious views from what they used to be to what they are now.

Edited by kurethmu, 11 September 2009 - 04:38 PM.


#8    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,716 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

My grandfather had a religious experience when he died. He was a devout Christian. I honestly have never met a man who was more patient, kind, caring, and compassionate in all my life. He passed due to a heart attack, but was revived in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. My mom rode with him, I was about 9 years old at the time. She told me he was very still and quiet for about 15-20 seconds. Shortly thereafter, he sat up on the gurney, his eyes opened real wide and he immediately began praising God, and he literally reached his arms out towards the ambulance ceiling. I'll never forget what she told me that he said, "praise God, praise God, thank you Jesus." He then laid back down...and we lost him.  :cry:

This has kind of led me to think that possibly the "Afterlife" if there is one...is what we expect, or want it to be when we die. If you've never really had any thoughts about it, or expectations, maybe that's why it's just darkness?

Edited by SpiderCyde, 11 September 2009 - 04:53 PM.


#9    eqgumby

eqgumby

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,576 posts
  • Joined:15 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida Panhandle

  • If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

I was in hell, then I got a divorce...it was the long road, but at least I got out.

To be honest, assuming a lot about religion anyway, I can't imagine why a 4 year old would go to hell to begin with.

And, to be honest again, your friends experience sounds much more like my own exposure to schizophrenics. It's amazing and hard to imagine, but there are THOUSANDS of functioning paranoid/schizophrenics in the world, and they may seem a bit "odd" or "eccentric", but you would NEVER know what they really thought and felt about what was going on around them.

I knew a guy that INSISTED he was still-born, and had no soul. He lived his life thinking of that all the time, every day, and it effected EVERY facet of his life, yet you couldn't tell GOD spoke to him all the time, condemning his soulless existence, screaming his damnation in his head all the time. He lived like this for 10 or more years before he FINALLY told someone that got him help.

That honestly sounds more like what your buddy was experiencing than an actual, literal, haunting and a trip to hell as a toddler.

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!


It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#10    supervike

supervike

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,387 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

I believe it was 'real' for your friend.

But, imagined or not makes little difference, he obviously is going through something tough.

Edited by supervike, 11 September 2009 - 05:28 PM.


#11    Cybele

Cybele

    Married to the Void

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

In my opinion, heaven and hell are states of mind, not real places. I see no reason that the "darkness" that he experienced should be evidence of an afterlife. Couldn't it just be symtpomatic of severe oxygen deprivation? Also, it sounds like he might have some sort of psychological disorder. The fact that he is constantly "seeing demons" and around the age of 18/19, makes him a good candidate for schizophrenia.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#12    behaviour???

behaviour???

    Saru's Slave

  • Member
  • 6,763 posts
  • Joined:26 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UAE

  • Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

I think this could have a better explanation because first you might have noticed that these demonic things come only when he is alone and not in the company of anyone...While sleeping he cannot talk to anyone and his minds starts thinking so much and he relates this to his everyday normal experiences and while in company he have got people to share and so he can hold his mind from going to depths like this...The logic is simple here....He cant master his fear...It is very normal and even i experience this ..like after doing UM i go to sleep and sometimes I cant get sleep so when I look near to the bed I feel as if someone is standing there holding an knife and sometimes I feel that there is a Muslim lady behind or under my bed waiting to strangle me when I drift off in sleep...you see they are very common
Thanks
B???

Posted Image


#13    HeidiCT

HeidiCT

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined:05 Oct 2007

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

View Postkurethmu, on 11 September 2009 - 04:37 PM, said:

Hilarious, but back to the top, the part where he say's that he joined the coast guard so he wouldn't have to sleep alone is very sad.  I "died" when I was younger also and I didn't know it because I too became engulfed in a vast darkness.  But I wouldn't say it was hell though because I don't believe in heaven or hell.  I also was not aware of what was happening, there was just nothing until I was brought back.  That experience did more than any other in changing my religious views from what they used to be to what they are now.

Just curious, you state that the experience changed your religous views.  What were they prior to this experience?  

To the OP, I can't see a child of 4 going to hell. If you subscribe to the basic beliefs of christianity, there is no way that it would have happened.  First, he is well below the age of accountability, he is no concept of right and wrong and the consequences.  Secondly, if by some change you died and went to hell, the devil isn't going to let you go and let you come back.  He's gonna keep you.  Even if you don't believe in christianity, I can't think of any other religion in the world that would "sentence" a 4 year old to hell upon their death.

You said that he was in rehab, so I'm gonna assume that there was probably some drug use in life.  Is it possible that due to the use of drugs and the possible damage caused by drugs that he believes this to be fact?


#14    Uudyret

Uudyret

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Female

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

I had a friend once who told me he had been to hell.
Ofc no one believed him, and still don't :P
He said he was into and doing street fighting in the town center of my town and that it usually were teams and stuff like that.
My town is a small one and it has never been any records of any street fighting on a regular basis. so that's one reason not to believe a word of what he says.
Anyway, he got hit so hard one time that he died and went to hell. In hell he read a chapter from the satanic bible that doesn't exist, then he woke up alive again. So now he claims that Satan is after hi and wants him cause only my "friend" and Satan himself have read that chapter.

He was about 17 when he told me this, about 5 years ago...
He also supposedly see stuff like dead ppl and other paranormal stuff.
sigh


#15    Rory

Rory

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Ireland

  • Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Ro-ry!

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:28 AM

View PostJerry Only, on 11 September 2009 - 03:18 PM, said:

So I went to a rehab 4 years ago, and one day we had a group where everyone had to write down their deepest secrets, put them in a hat, and then they would be read out loud anonymously. I know, it's a horrible idea for many reasons, but anyway...

One of the cards read out loud said "I'm extremely afraid to be alone in the dark". And some people kind of laughed (I said it was a bad idea didn't I?). Well, in a group the next day, the person who wrote that came out and said they did because they were hurt how people were laughing, and he proceeded to explain a hell of a lot more.

Well, he was an 18 or 19 year old boy who was extremely scared to be alone in the dark because he was constantly being tortured by seeing demonic creatures in his room or all through his house whenever he was alone. Like when he would lay awake in bed trying to go to sleep, ghosts and stuff would constantly be walking past and in his room and even these scaly looking things would touch him. Whenever he is alone in his house doors open and close right in front of him, and once he heard a voice laughing at him as he tried to open an unlocked door and some force kept pulling it back.  :blink:

Anyway, you can see after he started telling the group this it pretty much took over the group topic. We talked about it and asked him questions for probably over half an hour. So about halfway through, he told us something which I find very interesting. He said when he was 4 he drowned in a swimming pool. I can't remember the exact details of how long he was clinically "dead" before being revived and I don't want to argue over semantics on what "dead" actually is. But he said after trying to swim back to the top, he felt a "weird feeling" and then he was in a place of extreme darkness. I say extreme darkness because that's what he put a lot of emphasis in. He kept saying "it was darker than the darkest black you can think of". He said he had the worst feeling ever and wanted more than anything to get out. He was also extremely scared because he could hear multiple people laughing at him.

Well, obviously, he was eventually revived, and never forgot the experience. He said ever since, he's been tormented by weird things when he's alone, and that was the reason he was so scared to be alone in the dark. That's even why he said he decided to join the Coast Guard, so he wouldn't have to sleep alone.

The whole story blew me away, and was the sole reason for me getting interested in paranormal stuff, and eventually signing up to this site. That was the 1st time I actually met someone in real life who actually experienced this stuff, and not just some intervew on TV or people posting on a site like this. And it hit me so hard because, I don't know if you've been to rehab, but it's where people get the most "real" and bonded I've ever seen strangers get with eachother, and that's what gave him the courage to talk about this with the group, when normally he would be extremely embarassed to tell anyone about it.

One of the big questions I had after hearing it though was, did he go to Hell? I researched a lot of stuff after hearing the story and almost all other people who have a near-death experience say they go to a place of light and feel love. But his was the exact opposite, so would you think that would be Hell? And another big question, why the hell (no pun intended) would a 4 year old go to Hell??

So I doubt any people here have actually "died" before, but maybe you have heard from someone somewhere who experienced the same thing when they had a near-death experience. And if so, did that person also get tormented from that day on?


This doesn't sound like Hell, this sounds like 'the darkness' that is mentioned in Torchwood everytime somebody dies lol.

"Something's coming. . . out of the darkness and its coming for you . . . Jack Harkness!"  :no:  (or something to that effect)





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users