Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is The Bible Code Real? Why?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Is The Bible Code Real? Why? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Is The Bible Code Real? Why?

1. Yes. I'm shure about! (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

2. No. (12 votes [52.17%])

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

3. Don't know. (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    BURD

BURD

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:51 AM

To me the Bible Code is real!

What do you think about?

Why?

#2    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

• "There are a terrible lot of lies going round the world, and the worst of it is that they're true." Winston Churchill

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:25 AM

Um forgive my blunt ignorance but...... Whats the Bible Code?

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yeild to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

#3    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:30 AM

I doubt it. You can find pattern in pretty much anything if you look hard enough.

#4    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:32 AM

Gotta agree there. The Bible is written vaguely enough that you can apply it to almost anything..

#5    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,160 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:38 AM

In the sense that it can be used to find messages in any random text, yes.  In that it exclusively translates future predictions out of the Bible, no.

Then again, you can find messages in any text, including the Bible, using D&D dice as well.

#6    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:50 AM

The bible code is the same as saying this:

Out of the text i had just written, we can conclude that my secret meaning was actually "I had a bib".

#7    Tess

Tess

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (Kellalor @ May 19 2004, 11:30 PM)
I doubt it. You can find pattern in pretty much anything if you look hard enough.

I agree 100%.......I saw a show on TV once where they did the same thing with the book Moby Dick and found "codes".

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher."
~Ambrose Bierce~

#8    gufzoo

gufzoo

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

• Guffy, The Skeptic Slayer

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:33 AM

Okay, so I gather that the Bible Code is indeed a "code".  But what are people claiming that this Code says?  Is it making predictions about something?

KNOWING FISH
One day Chuang Tzu and a friend were walking by a river. "Look at the fish swimming about," said Chuang Tzu, "They are really enjoying themselves."
"You are not a fish," replied the friend, "So you can't truly know that they are enjoying themselves."
"You are not me," said Chuang Tzu. "So how do you know that I do not know that the fish are enjoying themselves?"

#9    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,160 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:20 PM

Here's a quick little summary of The Bible Code, for those unfamiliar with the general story.

Review of The Bible Code

#10    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:12 PM

For a brief point I thought it was real, but it's not.  Seraphina has a point when she told me that there are more people alive and have ever lived than words or even letters in the bible.  Besides, the bible has been translated again and again and the original context of the script have been removed.  

#11    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

I agree, the Bible Code is FALSE.  

It has been edited, re-edited, and altered so much since it was first written down, that any secret Code would have been lost or altered to oblivion.

Unless, the Code has been enetered sonce then for some reason, but that reason is unknown.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
— David Gemmell

#12    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Althalus @ May 20 2004, 03:27 PM)
It has been edited, re-edited, and altered so much since it was first written down, that any secret code would have been lost or altered to oblivion.

Actually the Old Testament is 99% textually pure. The New Testament 98 1/2% textually pure. We have thousands and thousands of old manuscripts in many different languages and they all say the same thing, The variations are extremely minor, such as a word being spelled differently.

The Hebrew version is the most pure and that is the version they look for 'codes' in.

I still don't think there is a bible code, though.  wink2.gif  

#13    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:14 PM

This is officially me being thick night, so what all these stories of the Bible being edited and bits missed out of the official versions then?  Such as the bits where Jesus got annoyed at a friend and aged him on the spot, to that of an old man, while they playing by a stream.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
— David Gemmell

#14    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Althalus @ May 20 2004, 04:14 PM)
This is officially me being thick night, so what all these stories of the Bible being edited and bits missed out of the official versions then?  Such as the bits where Jesus got annoyed at a friend and aged him on the spot, to that of an old man, while they playing by a stream.

The books of the official New Testament were written within a few decades of Jesus'
death. The so-called missing books were written centuries after his death.

#15    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:31 PM

Ah right, thankye kindly Kellalor.  original.gif  

— David Gemmell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users