Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mutation, born with two sets of adult teeth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Copasetic

438579088 what am I?

• 4,238 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

Indeed, a fast look through PubMed shows that alterations in the developmental gene pathways such as Wnt and Sostdc1 or changes in the amount of expression of them play a role in determining the size, shape and number of teeth.

Its also important to note, that over expression of morphogenetic factors isn't necessarily limited to ones own genome (such as you having a "mutation") and can indeed be impacted by the womb environment. So it may not be mutation you had, but rather a teratogenic factor you were exposed in the womb during development (and that would probably where I would place my bet if I was a betting kind of guy).

Edited by Copasetic, 16 January 2011 - 02:48 AM.

#17    bhb

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

I know this post is pretty old, but I came across it while researching the topic because I too had a full extra set of teeth. You are the only person I have come across that also has/had this. I never thought to ask how rare it was because I was pretty young once the problem was resolved via multiple MULTIPLE extractions. However, I have been trying to find info on this because it never occurred to me that if all of my other teeth had an extra set, could my wisdom teeth as well? I had my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago but now I am having swelling, pain, and tenderness in the area where they used to be. Did you have an extra set of wisdom teeth as well? I know that it is possible, but I was just trying to figure out if the hyperdontia (especially with full sets) increases the chances of extra wisdom teeth as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#18    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

From the other side of the coin, I was born without wisdom teeth (or tonsils)

#19    jamesjr191

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

• S*** happens, again and again.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Its common on my fathers side of the family. my grandmother had 2 full sets. I, my daughter and 1 grandchild had extra teeth. They were removed as they showed up.

I created the Sound of Madness.

Wrote the book on pain.

Somehow I'm still here,

To explain,

When you gonna wake up and fight... for yourself?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users