Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Immortality only 20 years away ?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

LOL Earth would be like Coruscant in the new Star Wars movie, hardly any room to move about freely without running into a building. :P

#47    Pinx

Pinx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• Perhaps an attic shall I seek...

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hey, I wouldn't mind trading fertility for immortality. By then I will have only a couple years of fertility left anyway, if any.

Why is everyone under the impression that immortality would be mandatory or irreversible? I'm sure once you're sick of life, you'll have the option to continue your lifespan naturally... or at least off yourself.  :innocent:

Edited by Pinx, 24 September 2009 - 06:03 PM.

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile." --Kurt Vonnegut

#48    Mythic_legend

Mythic_legend

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

Am I the only one that thinks that this is completely retarded? Not the article itself but the Idea of trying to make everyone live forever. We are already struggling with famine, starvation and over population and now some douchebag wants to make everyone immortal that is insane. Sometimes its someones time to go and it shouldn't be anyone elses choice

#49    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,539 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

There's a famous quote from Max Planck:

An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out and that the growing generation is familiarized with the idea from the beginning.

Of course, that goes for lots of things besides physical theories (e.g. racist grandparents being replaced by a slightly more tolerant generation and so on). It's  bit like the role fire plays in the rejuvenation of a forest. I wonder what the effect would be of replacing fertility with immortality. Increasing our knowledge base or using some sort of implants to increase our capacity for things like memory or thought is one thing but will nearly-immortal people shed their intellectual prejudices over time in ways that we (current) mortals often don't?

Edited by Startraveler, 24 September 2009 - 09:42 PM.

#50    hippomchippo

hippomchippo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:16 AM

We need to acknowledge the amount of discovery this will lead to for space travel and building bases and such on the moon, which could potentially fix the overpopulation problem, while still allowing us to have children.

A voice of reason

#51    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:36 AM

Perhaps people would be more willing to forego immortality if they didn't have to work the best 8 hours of the day, 5 days a week to survive. Maybe cut that time in half and get paid the same wages for a standard 40 hour week. People could actually enjoy life a bit more.

#52    War Eagle

War Eagle

Esoteric Seeker

• 6,559 posts

• Reason deceives us - conscience never.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:48 AM

I tell ya, some these Scientist are full of fertilizer.

The '*elite' made it publicly clear they want to downsize the global population (70 - 80%), and these scientists talk about immortality... lol!

*David Rockheadfeller, Royal Reptiles Family, Henry Kissmyassnger, David look-into-my-lifeless-pedo-eyes Spangler (director of ''planetary initiative'' United Nations)...etc etc.

#53    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:33 AM

View PostREBEL, on 25 September 2009 - 12:48 AM, said:

I tell ya, some these Scientist are full of fertilizer.

The '*elite' made it publicly clear they want to downsize the global population (70 - 80%), and these scientists talk about immortality... lol!

*David Rockheadfeller, Royal Reptiles Family, Henry Kissmyassnger, David look-into-my-lifeless-pedo-eyes Spangler (director of ''planetary initiative'' United Nations)...etc etc.

I heard this as well. Why don't we start downsizing the global population with them. Arrogant fools, they need to be humbled. It will be immortality for them first, of course. Immortality will actually kind of suck in a way, karma will never catch up to some of them. They'll get by with all the crap they do in life, and never have to pay the reaper, God, Satan, the spaghetti monster, or what have you. Figures.

Edited by SpiderCyde, 25 September 2009 - 03:36 AM.

#54    Deceiver

Deceiver

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

View PostSpiderCyde, on 25 September 2009 - 03:33 AM, said:

I heard this as well. Why don't we start downsizing the global population with them. Arrogant fools, they need to be humbled. It will be immortality for them first, of course. Immortality will actually kind of suck in a way, karma will never catch up to some of them. They'll get by with all the crap they do in life, and never have to pay the reaper, God, Satan, the spaghetti monster, or what have you. Figures.
But what about when the universe comes to an end?
They would still die, no? Unless in the far future humans have become so powerful they could survive without a planet and just float into space :P

#55    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

it would better to search ways to end the poverty and hunger in the world rather than go  for the immortality experiment.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#56    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

View PostDer, on 24 September 2009 - 05:04 PM, said:

How do you know that we wouldn't have found a solution by the time that a) immortality becomes the norm and B) there aren't enough resources and space on Earth for us to keep procreating? Also if it gets so extreme that we aren't allowed to have children (right, like that will happen any time soon), then you could always reject immortality so that you are allowed to procreate. Though until most countries have more overpopulation than today's China, and there isn't more space for cities, that won't be necessary.

Did you know that some countries already have laws about procreation. China for one has laws limiting the amount of children one can have. Some places the limit is one child per family ;)  So no, out lawing procreation is a very real thing.

So in 20 yrs as the article states we start becoming immortal. Wait a hundred years and what? We still won't be able colonize much of our solar system few planets and moons exist that could even be considered for colonization. We would become an infestation in our solar system to the point we would have to move out of our solar system then what live on space ships like in Babylon 5 ?

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#57    OilFight

OilFight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 25 September 2009 - 10:47 PM, said:

Did you know that some countries already have laws about procreation. China for one has laws limiting the amount of children one can have. Some places the limit is one child per family ;)  So no, out lawing procreation is a very real thing.

So in 20 yrs as the article states we start becoming immortal. Wait a hundred years and what? We still won't be able colonize much of our solar system few planets and moons exist that could even be considered for colonization. We would become an infestation in our solar system to the point we would have to move out of our solar system then what live on space ships like in Babylon 5 ?

Well if our minds began melding with AI and we can could go into virtual reality, then space wouldn't really be an issue. We could spend most of our time in virtual reality and materialize ourselves in the physical world only occasionally, or not at all. We could still procreate that way, too (through both conventional and non-conventional means).

EDIT: if we really wanted to, we could even "shrink" ourselves, by having diminutive representations of ourselves in the physical world. They would be like dolls with which we could experience the world, while not affecting it. Or we could use holograms, or something equivalent. The point is, there could be trillions of "humans" living on earth without any noticeable impact on the environment.

Edited by OilFight, 27 September 2009 - 07:55 AM.

#58    Inferior Oompa

Inferior Oompa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

• "I got kicked out of Barnes and Noble for moving all of the bibles to the fiction section"

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 25 September 2009 - 10:47 PM, said:

Something similar to this will probably happen even if people weren't immortal. Atleast with immortality it would be easier to colonize planets. Or better yet, we all go AI and live inside a vitrual reality that floats around space and collects sunlight for power.

Edited by Inferior Oompa, 27 September 2009 - 11:45 PM.

#59    DaGreatBeliever

DaGreatBeliever

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

That would be so cool. We could live side by side with our great great great great grandchildren...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users