Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rune stone found by two boys in creek

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    jakesteele

jakesteele

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:11 AM

This is inspired by the ancient runes thread.  I remember 10-15 years ago hearing about some kids back east who found a fairly large stone with strange carvings on it in the local creek.  I was wondering if anybody has heard about this?

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

You mean the Bat Creek Stone in Ohio?

#3    jpen0313

jpen0313

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

The Heavener Runestone was found in Oklahoma by two boys but on a mountian not in a creek?

#4    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,734 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

here are a few interesting links to Runestones in the Americas

Link-1
Link-2

and check out

Gloria Farley's Website on the Runestones and what not

I am posting what i find is relevant and interesting. not that i stand guarantor to the facts stated. its up to you to believe or not.

Edited by The Spartan, 26 September 2009 - 02:02 PM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

View PostThe Spartan, on 26 September 2009 - 02:00 PM, said:

here are a few interesting links to Runestones in the Americas

Link-1
Link-2

and check out

Gloria Farley's Website on the Runestones and what not

I am posting what i find is relevant and interesting. not that i stand guarantor to the facts stated. its up to you to believe or not.

You know, there is one thing that really makes me skeptic about all those rune stones: At the only confirmed Viking settlement in Greenland Newfoundland not a single (authentic) stone was found... or could it be that it was not really a settlement but a bunch of Vikings got banished there for being illiterate?

ED: Garble

Edited by questionmark, 26 September 2009 - 02:12 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 26 September 2009 - 02:10 PM, said:

You know, there is one thing that really makes me skeptic about all those rune stones: At the only confirmed Viking settlement in Greenland Newfoundland not a single (authentic) stone was found... or could it be that it was not really a settlement but a bunch of Vikings got banished there for being illiterate?

Judging from the quality of most of these finds, all of the (hundreds) of Vikings roaming North America had none too firm a grip on their language.

Maybe it was UM 0.1?

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#7    Angel444

Angel444

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

The stone was found in Tum water creek Washington , according to the show Unsolved mysteries.  Found by two young boys who later showed the father and mother.   And life changing events started to happen for them, where they opened a retail store and business.

Edited by Angel444, 08 August 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#8    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:27 AM

Can't be any stranger than the bag of Roman coins found in the US. I can't remember exactly where that was, though.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#9    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

Then there is the heavily disputed Kensington Runestone in Wisconsin

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#10    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,864 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostAngel444, on 08 August 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

The stone was found in Tum water creek Washington , according to the show Unsolved mysteries.  Found by two young boys who later showed the father and mother.   And life changing events started to happen for them, where they opened a retail store and business.

...so they have no reason whatsoever to lie or otherwise embroider the truth, then, if they're running a related business. The same way bees have no interesy in nectar-producing blooms.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,697 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I grew up wading in creeks and stacking stones into dams and whatnot. I saw stones that could have looked like they had "runes" on them all the time. Stones fracture and get worn, and sometimes there's going to be lines on the stone. I'd want to look at this Tumwater stone before saying it appears real or not. Unfortunately google has failed me in this search so far.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Gingitsune

Gingitsune

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 26 September 2009 - 02:10 PM, said:

You k there is one thing that really makes me sknow,eptic about all those rune stones: At the only confirmed Viking settlement in Greenland Newfoundland not a single (authentic) stone was found... or could it be that it was not really a settlement but a bunch of Vikings got banished there for being illiterate?

There is a second one confirmed by Park Canada in Nunavut. It's a trading outpost which was used over many centuries to trade with the Dosets, then the Inuits.

http://www.historymu.../str0101e.shtml

There is also three other potential sites they haven't re-investigated yet. On the map below, the new confirmed site is the red dot closest to the Hudson Bay, on the South shore of Baffin Island.

Posted Image

No rune stone have been found in either of the four sites, nor anywhere in the North of Canada.

Edit: there was a thread for this discovery in 2012:

http://www.unexplain...&hl=viking&st=0

Edited by Gingitsune, 10 August 2014 - 05:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users