Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Black hole headed our way!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 10:16 AM

I linked to this when  I was surfing around , It got my mind ticking over with all sorts of Ideas . check it out http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/11/22/runaway.blackhole/index.html

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 November 2002 - 10:30 AM

Fortunately it looks as though this one will pass within a safe distance of our solar system. At 6000 light years away, and at well under the speed of light, the newly spotted black hole will not reach us for an extremely long time, even if it was on a direct course for our solar system. In fact, the point at which it would arrive is so far into the future, that it would be unlikely to pose much of a threat to us when it did get here.

It does raise another question though - there could be other black holes a lot nearer to us than we know of, ones that we have simply not yet detected. It will be interesting to find out just how many black holes there are in the vicinity of our local cluster, and whether any of them really do pose a threat to life on earth.

#3    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:01 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Black Holes are cool 8)

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#4    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:09 AM

wow, that would be one hell of a ride though.  could you imagine the whole world going into a black hole?  would be like a wacky LSD trip- not that i know what that is like but i can imagine :)

#5    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:32 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of having the oportunity to study black holes a little closer . Perhaps even send a probe out to meet it.
  Homer , Yeah I know................

Probes are cool 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users