Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The world is going to end...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31    Triniant

Triniant

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:26 PM

This story has already been posted here:
The world is going to end...., ....it's just a matter of time.

Here is a link for information on Dr. Gartrel's (aka Aussie Bloke) posts:
His Posts

Put in a google search for "Aussie Bloke" and you will find several forums that host his posts.

#32    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:58 AM

the story sound pretty conincing but it would also make a good movie.

Well, if the sun is gradually being blocked out over the next few days then i'll be going to the supermarket and buying all the canned food i can get and rice and potatoes. wink2.gif  

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#33    hunterkiller2001

hunterkiller2001

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

• I said RAR!

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:09 AM

The naval movements bother me, and imho, just add credibility to the person's claims.

I've believed for a long time the Missle defense system was built for another purpose.   Since the tests obviously show it's completely incapable of intercepting an ICBM. Yet, the military sits theres, and makes no effort to improve the system.

As far as the "Word of mouth" thing,  I've told a few select people about this, friends and family that turn to me to hear the latest theories spreading on the net.  

Some people have suggested the government would not hide something like this... Put into that position, i think i would hide it.. chaos  and riots suck..

I'll keep an eye in the air for the next week.. the more i dig into this, the more it scares me... now or later... it could happen.

btw, if it DOES come, and someone uploads a picture of a demon on it, i'm gonna go crazy

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, Speaking on Gun control

--‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts  — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’ — Abraham Lincoln

#34    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

Considering the links that I have seen, it sounds like a big hoax to me. Aside from the letter from the creators saying that it was a hoax to see what public reaction would be, the story of the astronomer just didn't make any sense. It didn't add up for me.

First off why did he feel the need to string everyone along? The way that he would just give out bits of non technical info, not willing to divulge any known information seems out of sorts. I read through all of the posts on the links I could find, and to me it was obvious that this guy was playing with the people he was posting to. If he really did know about an impending impact, wouldn't he just come out and say it? Why play with people on such a serious matter?

The whole things smacks of what every conspiracy is good at: Lots of unverifiable facts wrapped around a good story.

Why did he just run around to different forums? If you know the end of the world was coming wouldn't you want to let people know? Maybe a newspaper? something credible? What is the use in hiding behind a username on a forum if you know you are going to be dead very soon, along with the rest of the world.

After reading all of those posts my guess is that it is one or more college aged kids that came up with the idea and decided to do it to see what would happen. The language wasn't that of an old man, and the utter lack of technical verbiage leads me to believe that the writer had little understanding of astronomy.

As for the asteroid not being seen because they are hidden in a dust cloud, well that is just silly. Given the timing of the impact in the next couple of weeks that means that the meteor would have to already be well within our solar system. It would be very obvious to anyone with any astronomy skills that a big cloud of debris is going to make a big black spot against background stars as it blocks out the light. It would stand out just as much as a bright asteroid would, and being as close as it was it would be moving very quickly against the background stars.

I don’t think we have anything to worry about here folks…

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#35    hunterkiller2001

hunterkiller2001

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

• I said RAR!

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:45 AM

Maybe a newspaper?

controlled media =)

anyway...  as far as I'm aware, we're relativly blind to things past our south pole. which was apparently his source of debris.

as far as the people claiming responsibility... I don't buy that.. period.  

Sad someone never traced his IP..

or Titor's for that matter...

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, Speaking on Gun control

--‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts  — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’ — Abraham Lincoln

#36    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:54 AM

Australia has a gaggle of telescopes that run full time:

Anglo Australian Observatory
Mount Stromlo Observatory
Siding Springs Observatory (RSAA, ANU)
Australia Telescope Compact Array (ATNF)
Mopra Observatory (ATNF)
Parkes Radio Observatory (ATNF)
Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex (Tidbinbilla)
Molonglo Observatory Synthesis Telescope
Sydney University Stellar Interferometer (SUSI)
Mount Pleasant Radio Observatory
CANGAROO at Woomera
Canopus Hill Observatory
Perth Observatory
Mt Kent Observatory
Gemini 8m Telescopes Project

That doesn't even count all of the colleges, as well as the thousands of amateur astronomers...There are plenty of telescopes looking "up" in Australia...If what he said was true, it would be very obvious by this point. It isn't.

Sorry it is a hoax.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#37    Triniant

Triniant

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 04:41 AM

I do not know if this proves anything but from what I have read in regards to Dr. Grant Gartell it does coincide with his background.

It is not me

#38    Godly Being

Godly Being

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:46 PM

Look, I need to know this right now, does anyone think we are really going to die???  I'm kind of nervous about this whole thing...

#39    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Think about how many other"End of the World" warnings there have been throughout history, and we're all still here. Why give one any more thought or worry than the next?

#40    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:43 PM

Look, I need to know this right now, does anyone think we are really going to die??? I'm kind of nervous about this whole thing...

NO!!!!.....not our race!!......as individuals?....well thats just a matter of how 'the cookie crumbles'.

Heres' a look at how long mankind has been claiming that we are going to perish.....it provokes fear, and that is all......fear generates profit, it sells period!!
http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#41    Godly Being

Godly Being

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:54 PM

Thanks I'm paranoid..

#42    Godly Being

Godly Being

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

Well I guess Aussie Bloke is impersonating that doctor..which I guess is punishable by law.

#43    Godly Being

Godly Being

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:19 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5138018?GT1=3584

Go there.  Aussie Bloke had this planned very well.   Theres going to be a shadow from Venus cast on us not "martian space dust."  Little did he know its front page news on msn.com  laugh.gif  What an idiot laugh.gif

I think it will be a pretty good show though original.gif Can't wait.

#44    Blood Angel

Blood Angel

Poltergeist

• 2,389 posts

• Deus Ex Conspiratio

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:46 PM

Godly being you obviously did NOT read the article, there will be no shadow cast on us.....just a slight one on the sun, which will actually be venus...

Fight Win Prevail - me
No guts No Glory - me
Cadjole....i like that word, so much more sophisticated than bludgeon.
Vicious says: You are saying impudence to me! That is impudence!!!1

#45    Godly Being

Godly Being

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:39 PM

Oh sorry misread that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users