Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Big Bang

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe in the big bang theory? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe in the big bang theory?

1. Yes (22 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. No (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Not sure (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Curiosity

Curiosity

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

• `Twas ignorance that killed the cat.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:49 AM

I have to do this humungous project on the universe for a science assignment.  The more info I can get, the better. wink2.gif  Thanks to anyone who participates. original.gif  

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing the attempt.
-W. Shakespeare

#2    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:00 AM

I voted yes,it makes the most sense of any theory I've heard so far. If you need info, here's a link that explains the theory simply but thoroughly..

Here come da' Bang!

..also the Big Bang is the best name for a theory ever!

#3    The Gryphon

The Gryphon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• There are no such things as accidents, only plans that others have made and failed to tell you about!!

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:01 AM

I believe I do. Especially the more I read about the conversion of energy into matter. Otherwise you have the problem of where did the matter come from. Energy creating the matter makes sense. What I don't neccessarily believe is that the expanding universe will contract, I think that each universe might have it's own kind of ending depending on the inerta of its initial explosion. Some may close, some stall and remain open, some contract? (Obviously you're getting an answer from a Stephen Hawking fan)  Good luck

"when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever
remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
-- Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four

#4    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:45 AM

I voted not sure.

I suspect multiple bangs on multiple occasions, some bangs creating  and some destroying and some doing both.

Usually with a theory we can wait for it to happen again to make further readings. The Big Bang theory as the start of the universe is almost identical to that of a super nova. So we know the process happens, if there was an original Bang that pre-empted all other bangs would be hard to discern. Our galaxy I believe  to be the reminants of a super nova.

Read this about supernovas and picture it happening as one original Bang, its hard to figure, thats why I like the multiple bangs happening for eternity and been happening since eternity. http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/snr.html

user posted image

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#5    MattDuk

MattDuk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:37 PM

but really it has to make sence that in the begining there was nothing, therefore there was no matter, no energy.....nothign at all. so what created the big bang if there was noghing to create it? maybe we have to look at it like this.......if there was nothing then there where no rules, no restrictions no nothing therefore it makes sence that anything could spontaniously happen with out the need for an explenation because no rules would be broken or anything, therefore if suddendly there where a spark of energy or something that created the big bang then theres no need for an explination for where that energy came from to suddendly start the big bang, does this make any sence?

#6    Ozmeister

Ozmeister

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• I come in peace....shoot to kill

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:53 AM

I voted "yes", but there is still a lot of work to be done before there can be a definitive answer. However, given what we already know about cosmology and quantum theory, it is the most likely candidate for the definitive answer.

Doesn't mean that other theories, like the revised Steady State Theory, won't be excluded or even turn out to be more correct.

#7    Curiosity

Curiosity

Psychic Spy

• 1,213 posts

• `Twas ignorance that killed the cat.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:59 AM

Doesn't mean that other theories, like the revised Steady State Theory, won't be excluded or even turn out to be more correct.

What's the Steady State Theory? huh.gif  

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing the attempt.
-W. Shakespeare

#8    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:47 PM

What's the Steady State Theory

"The steady-state theory is a view that the universe is always expanding but maintaining a constant average density, matter being continuously created to form new stars and galaxies at the same rate that old ones become unobservable as a consequence of their increasing distance and velocity of recession. A steady-state universe has no beginning or end in time; and from any point within it the view on the grand scale--i.e., the average density and arrangement of galaxies--is the same. Galaxies of all possible ages are intermingled" http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/steady_state.html

I found this really cool site too Whisper9, it has ample info about the big bang and subsequent events.  http://www.tufts.edu/as/wright_center/cosm...ocs/splash.html

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#9    DespondentDave

DespondentDave

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

• I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (MattDuk @ May 27 2004, 03:37 PM)
but really it has to make sence that in the begining there was nothing, therefore there was no matter, no energy.....nothign at all. so what created the big bang if there was noghing to create it? maybe we have to look at it like this.......if there was nothing then there where no rules, no restrictions no nothing therefore it makes sence that anything could spontaniously happen with out the need for an explenation because no rules would be broken or anything, therefore if suddendly there where a spark of energy or something that created the big bang then theres no need for an explination for where that energy came from to suddendly start the big bang, does this make any sence?

Well it makes as much sense as anything, but at the end of the day, which ever theory you go along with, it all starts with Problem A. Where did the first matter/energy/God/whatever come from.

If there was nothing, how did something 'appear'. How could anything always have been there; how could it have no beginning?

One thing is for sure, it's something I will never be able to get my head around. I admit defeat.  

#10    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:54 PM

big bang... 'em scientists 'em smart bounce.gif  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#11    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• 1,534 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:21 PM

I don't believe in the big bang because nothing can't explode into something.  No matter what all them scientists say, they still can't figure out where all that energy came from.  But I should've voted not sure because one, I wasn't there to know for sure and two, when God did create the universe, the universe could've started out with an explosion.  

#12    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:27 PM

so saucy you believe that god created the universe?

#13    Benjo Koolzooie

Benjo Koolzooie

Psychic Spy

• 1,619 posts

• Pink is like red but not quite...

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:28 PM

It may not have been a gigantic explosion or bang, but I feel it was a natural occurance.

Edited by Benjo Koolzooie, 28 May 2004 - 09:44 PM.

Cherokee Warrior you've lost your battle that's for sure, but what you left behind is still shining.

#14    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• 1,534 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:57 PM

I don't know.  I wasn't there.  Since I do believe the bible, I guess I would believe God created the universe.  The universe screams design and a designer should be the scientific default, but it is not.  So what, when the universe exploded (out of nothing) then what happened?  All this energy expanded outward.  What was the energy?  How was all the stars created?  Why are some stars dying while others are being born and half-way through life?  How come some galaxies are larger than others?  If all the universe was created at the same time, how come some galaxies have expanded further than others?  It just doesn't make sense.  All the stars have the same life span, don't they?  But apparently some stars are made of different gases and are either hotter or cooler than others.  How can that be?  

#15    Benjo Koolzooie

Benjo Koolzooie

Psychic Spy

• 1,619 posts

• Pink is like red but not quite...

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:15 PM

I would have thought that the fact that stars being born and dying and so on would 'prove' that the galaxy has "a mind of its own" and that these expansions and explosions that take place are natural occurances.

There is plenty of gases mixing together in space to create hot/cold environments.

I can't give major details tough as I ain't a space boffin. So one of those may explain the questions you asked. tongue.gif

I am not saying a God didn't create the universe. But I'm not saying one did. I am just simply commenting on the fact we still see the universe changing - due to its own natural occurances, so what's to say that some sort of 'bang' did not start this whole thing off?

Edited by Benjo Koolzooie, 28 May 2004 - 10:18 PM.

Cherokee Warrior you've lost your battle that's for sure, but what you left behind is still shining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users