Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis

stevemagegod

I no that this theory is not new but remember when the Nazi's where trying to find evidence of a master race or at least Atlanteans? Well their idea of Aryans are blond hair and blue eyes. Well one of the theory's out their is that Atlantis is located around the Black Sea Region. Well new genetic samples argue that Blue Eyes is a relativity new trait only about 10,00 years old and was a mutation in a single man and then spread rapidly throughout Europe. And everyone who has Blue Eyes is related through a single common ancestor. Well Atlantis was a world wide Empire could it be possible that Atlantis genetically altered man to have Blue Eyes, and since it was a world wide Empire the gene for Blue Eyes spread throughout Europe?

Well Atlantis was a world wide Empire...

Whjat makes you think that?

...could it be possible that Atlantis genetically altered man to have Blue Eyes, and since it was a world wide Empire the gene for Blue Eyes spread throughout Europe?

No, it's not possible because Atlantis never existed.

Harte

The new genetic samples that i am talking about i read in a science magazine(which i forgot the name to).It was talking about the new research that they have uncovered

• 3 weeks later...

Atlantis is real

• Like 1

Atlantis is real

It took you exactly 3 weeks to come tell us that Atlantis is real.

So I guess you have found definite proof of that?

• Like 4

Anyone know if the Atlantic ocean is named after the God Atlas? .. or Plato and Homer's Atlantes ?

Edited by lightlyy

Here's part of my take on the subject:

We see in the beginning of the story where Plato says the Atlas he's talking about, that Atlantis is named after and the ocean as well, is the son of Poseidon not Iapetos. If a story is going to be memorized as history, this one is already at odds with what the Greeks believed was the Theogony of their gods. As I've said, anyone in the room listening would immediately know this was a story for entertainment.

The time frame - the biggest bugaboo in the whole story. Had Plato not given a number of years at all, we would really be scrambling for the lost city. But he did give a date and even though it's contested, the contention doesn't stand up. It is said that the decimal was moved and that it was not 9 thousand years, but 900 years in the past. I've said that at 900 years in the past, it would still have been a well remembered place in Solon's time due to all the wonderful attributes Plato gave it. A magnificent city such as this and a power such as this, would not soon be forgotten. 900 years passing would not have erased the "world" memory of such a magnificent city of the original gods. All we have is a passing mention of Atlanteans by Siculus and Herodotus, talking about some peoples who lived on the north coast of Africa, but they do not describe these people in any way as Plato puts it. Herodotus is quite serious about the way he writes what he's told, and he certainly wasn't told the Atlanteans were a mighty power in the past. The Egyptians would have been quick I think, to brag to Herodotus that they had defeated such a power, had that been the case; and if there had been records in the temples when Solon had visited, surely the story would have persevered in other places and been known. In other words, 900 years would have been in the too recent past for Atlantis to have been gone and forgotten considering how mighty and powerful she was supposed to have been.

Back to the decimal. As I said previously, the ancient Greeks did not write the numbers as numerals. They wrote them as words and I'm sure the word for thousand could not be mistaken for the word hundred. (It's little things like this that really throw a person off when they're researching, because a little detail like this can debunk a whole theory). Therefore, there is no such thing as the decimal being moved - ESPECIALLY since the ancient Greeks didn't use the decimal system. Whether or not the measurements were in Greek stadia or Egyptian Stadia, isn't going to matter much unless a sunken circular city is actually found and measured, and then of course the resulting measurements will be qualified as either/or after the fact so the supposed found city will fit the bill like it's supposed to. I mean, here's us in our modern times thinking wow, how is it that Plato knew all these dimensions (or whoever told the story to the priest in the first place) of an enemy city, but didn't know who the warlords were! Maybe Plato made those measurements up as well Maybe that was his idea of the perfect allotment of land and the ideal setting for a city. One can definitely see where if there were rings of water around your city, you wouldn't be readily attacked, especially if those walls were hard to climb because they were covered with slippery metal, and if you happened to want to climb them when a storm struck, you'd be fried meat!!

Now I know we've mentioned this hundreds of times concerning the Triremes in the harbour. I'm sure we understand that Plato was describing the ships he was familiar with, because even if there were ships the size of Triremes 9000 years before Solon, how would Plato know what they were called or the Egyptians either unless of course a verbal story was handed down regarding these large ships. But, since science has so far proven that the oldest ships are 5000 years old, and that although they COULD sail in the ocean for short voyages, they wouldn't have been suitable for constant ocean travelling as would be needed for the Atlanteans if they were out in the Atlantic Ocean. Yes we have depictions on cave walls of boats from the far distant past, but we do not see depictions of Triremes from 9000 years before Solon.

Regarding the shoals of mud, it is my opinion using a bit of logic, that Plato is describing the sinking of a piece of land that is surrounded by shallow water and other land, not a piece of land out in the middle of the deep. Compare his description to Thera, where it is out in the deep. There would be no shoals of mud. There would be a deep cauldron. Therefore, this city of Atlantis, must be somewhere that the surrounding area is not deep enough to leave a cauldron, but instead, only deep enough to leave shoals of mud on the surface, disallowing passage. Most cities were built near rivers for access to the water for travelling as well as sustenance. We read about cities that are built on the shores near the ocean that are later destroyed and washed away, but man being a stubborn creature, rebuilds right next to the water again, and over and over his cities are taken by nature, and they blame it on the gods being angry!!! You say well, the city itself was maybe in the mouth of a river on this huge island. Ok, I'll buy that, but where's the big island? As I've said before, Spain was originally thought to BE an island, however, not by Solon's time, and definitely by Plato's time it was known that Spain was not an island. However, if Plato is using the "once upon a time, in a land far far away" tactic, then he could be relating to Spain when she was known as an island. First there was an island then there was no island then there was. (Words of an obsolete song - change island for mountain in the song!) (Also it would fit with the sailors' stories of a sunken city beyond the straits).

Edited by Qoais
  • Like 3

Anyone know if the Atlantic ocean is named after the God Atlas? .. or Plato and Homer's Atlantes ?

It is the sea of Atlas, so yes, the Greek Titan.

There are of course interesting findings all over the world, but none of them exactly speaks of any superior civilization. I mean even if our current civilization disappeared tomorrow (or rather every human) there would be clear traces millions of years in the future. Plastics, metals, chemicals, and so on.

However, I do think that we do not know the whole story about previous empires.

thanks shadowsot, Greek Titan Atlas.. supporting the earth ..so Great we named world maps after him ... and thanks Qoais, ..who said: " All we have is a passing mention of Atlanteans by Siculus and Herodotus, talking about some peoples who lived on the north coast of Africa"

..... Of course the guys on other shores had their own names for the Atlantic ? I like the idea of a golden age of some sort.. wise and benevolent civilization ... I don't like the part where they got selfish and misused their knowledge lol.

thanks shadowsot, Greek Titan Atlas.. supporting the earth ..so Great we named world maps after him ... and thanks Qoais, ..who said: " All we have is a passing mention of Atlanteans by Siculus and Herodotus, talking about some peoples who lived on the north coast of Africa"

..... Of course the guys on other shores had their own names for the Atlantic ? I like the idea of a golden age of some sort.. wise and benevolent civilization ... I don't like the part where they got selfish and misused their knowledge lol.

Who are you reading? Plato? or Herodotus?

Who are you reading? Plato? or Herodotus?

neither Qoais, i have read a little bit of a lot of things at one time or another .. I'm an info grazer is all.. internet,books,conversation,tv/movies ,anything i find interesting... but do i remember well ? Not really..... so i speak from a lifetime of acquired info bits and mis info bits.... which means i know,or think i know, a tiny bit about many things and a whole lot about nothing lol ... i just find Everything intensely interesting.

Didn't know it had been lost! :unsure2:

Antarctica had been lost since 9,500 B.C. (see Plato's Timaeus) and was rediscovered in 1820.

Edited by Agonaces of Susa

Antarctica had been lost since 9,500 B.C. (see Plato's Timaeus) and was rediscovered in 1820.

Hahahaa!! Atlantis was lost alright, it sank beath the waves, IF it really existed in the first place.

That theory of Flem' Ath (spelling?) is nice, but based on distorting about anything Plato said.

Atlantis has been 'found' about anywhere on the globe.

There is nothing like a antartica being lost. It was that..we didnt bother to look!

There is nothing like a antartica being lost. It was that..we didnt bother to look!

I found it again, a year ago in the freezing compartment of my refrigirator.

Then it finally broke down ( I hit the frige with a hammer - sort of an asteroid impact - to end the ice age)

That was the moment I had to buy a new refrigirator.

Hahahaa!! Atlantis was lost alright, it sank beath the waves

Exactly! And those waves are now frozen ice. Antarctica was once in a temperate climate.

Exactly! And those waves are now frozen ice. Antarctica was once in a temperate climate.

Millions of years ago, well outside the timeframe of even the earliest humans.

cormac

• Like 1

ANtartica is not completly covered in ice, though there is a good deal of it.

THe only evidence for habitation of Antartica goes back to the dino days.