Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What does God want with 10% of cattle?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

JOC pointed it out in the Jesus thread. God wants 10% of each persons cattle donated to him... What does God want with cattle? Doesnt that give you the hint that there might be something mortal about him...? I mean, why one tenth of the cattle to him? what does he need it for?  

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#2    Universal Absurdity

Universal Absurdity

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,592 posts

• You wont win.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

that makes me wonder about cattle mutilations, i'm going to look into how many cattle are mutilated in a 'wave' as that is usually how they happen, in waves.

if its around 10% of the population....well.....its just going to make me wonder.

(fun fact: in case of extreme emergency, cattle blood can be used in humans for transfusions.)

Ű∩ίvệѓα|ΛЬşűяđĬŧỵ

Founder Of The Animated Avatar Workshop
43 things

#3    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:14 PM

God / Ronald McDonald.

Could there be a connection?

#4    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

• Ignorance I can handle, stupidity I can't.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

Hmmm... that's very likely  original.gif  

"This concept of 'wub' confuses and infuriates us!"
~Futurama <---- the aliens

#5    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

Two Words: Cheese-Burger.

Heavenly.  thumbsup.gif  

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#6    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:31 PM

God needed a way to get around. But the cattle were too bumpy and smelled so he commanded 10% of all the cattle and turned them into a  'BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!
with a chauffeur and the whole works. Hard-top, with A/C, burning bush in the trunk and tires made from the flesh of non-believers.

user posted image

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#7    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:37 PM

Chauncy, you scare me  ohmy.gif. Not really, but you are an absolute frikin' nut bounce.gif. You're probably the dude in the cow suite, aren't you? laugh.gif  

#8    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Chauncy @ May 26 2004, 01:31 PM)
Hard-top, with A/C, burning bush in the trunk and tires made from the flesh of non-believers.

That is udderly rediculous.

rolleyes.gif

That was bad even for me.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

#9    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:56 PM

No seriously though it is the reason christians give for the tithe.

Many churches teach that Christians must give 10% of their income to their local church otherwise they are robbing God and shutting off the flow of God's blessings. So when Christians talk about "tithing," they're usually referring to this idea that giving 10% of every paycheck to their  church is a Scriptural requirement or a Scriptural principle which Christians should be following.

There are differences of opinion among Christians about whether or not Christians must tithe. Many don't, some do, some insist, some leave it as an option.

Regardless if it is left up as an option then people will give to simply assist their church in its endeavors, which is cool and is their perogative.

When its a problem I believe and when it treads on moral issues, is when someone gives this amount but can't really afford it and no-one at the church lets them know that it is ok not to give this tithe.

Some people I know actually think that when they tithe god will take care of them better, the adage "give and you shall recieve" ....this is silly!!

1 Corinthians 16:2 and 2 Corinthians 9:7 is where they get this idea, check it out tell me what you think it means.

As a side note: I've witnessed two churches in my immediate area that posted the Tithe totals of every person in the church at Tax time. This I thought was very shameful and also set up for a lot of in-fighting amongst members. The 2 months that followed the posting there were many that left the church. I was there in a strictly observational capacity.

Edited by Chauncy, 26 May 2004 - 09:07 PM.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Posted Image

#10    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:13 PM

As a side note: I've witnessed two churches in my immediate area that posted the Tithe totals of every person in the church at Tax time.

That is absolute bs.

I was also raised to believe (not by my parents, but church leaders) that if you gave in times when you were really hard up for money you would be more blessed or whatever.

#11    Venomshocker

Venomshocker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

• "Everything you are for strengthens you, everything you are against weakens you."

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:21 PM

God asked for a 10% tithe, because he wanted to show people he can do more with 90% than they could with 100%. God asked people to this so he could demonstrate his power to them. The bible states that this is the only thing that God asked people to test him in. Kind of like asking for proof of God. God knew people would be materialistic so he uses materialism to show to people that he is capable of giving you more than you have.

God dosent need the 10%, or anything, otherwise he wouldnt be a very powerful god. tongue.gif  

Gestalt Reality
"Ultimately there is no such thing as meaning, only experience and creativity."  ~ Pleiadians

#12    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:25 PM

I was also raised to believe (not by my parents, but church leaders) that if you gave in times when you were really hard up for money you would be more blessed or whatever.

Its strange what people believe sometimes. The person I mentioned before that tithed, had some financial trouble but was still tithing, I offered to give them money to help them out of their tight spot,but only under the condition that none of my dollars went to the church. They flatly refused the loan after this stipulation but were all for it prior to.

Now here's where it gets weird, they still tithed, then they recieved a tax return in the mail that made up the difference in their original tax return that was calculated wrong. Immediately they started praising god for this seemingly divine gift.

I don't know about you but any Revenue agency is far from holy. Many people in my area recieved these additional cheques as a result of mistakes that were made. But there was no convincing these people of that. They wanted to believe that the cheque was from god for their diligent tithing practices.....I of course knew the truth.

It shows that people will purposely misinterprate natural occurences as divine to simply prove to themselves that God exists. To this day you ask these people to prove God and they use the Tax return as an example.

Posted Image

#13    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Venomshocker @ May 26 2004, 02:21 PM)
God asked people to this so he could demonstrate his power to them. The bible states that this is the only thing that God asked people to test him in.

Hmmm, interesting.  The whole 10% aspect of the churches feels to me like an Amway type multi-level sales plan. The more churches that you have in your downline the more money you make...

Come to think of it, the marketing is very much the same too. Once a member of Amway your job is to "convert" as many friends and family as you can to fill up your downline sales force, so that you can get 10% of each of their sales. Often one must speak to complete strangers to get as many converts as you can.

Of course Amway never said that you would burn in hell for eternity if you didn't sell their wares, but I may have missed that part.

It is all about power and money...

#14    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:40 PM

never mind. brain fart

Edited by MoonBaby, 26 May 2004 - 09:43 PM.

#15    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:43 PM

It is all about power and money...

I think it safe to assume that the whole of this particular religion has been about these two aspects since the beginning, first power...then money.

What I find most gut punching is what means they have went to in order to maintain and increase this power,control and profit.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users