Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What does God want with 10% of cattle?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#16    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,855 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Venomshocker @ May 26 2004, 10:21 PM)
God asked for a 10% tithe, because he wanted to show people he can do more with 90% than they could with 100%. God asked people to this so he could demonstrate his power to them. The bible states that this is the only thing that God asked people to test him in. Kind of like asking for proof of God. God knew people would be materialistic so he uses materialism to show to people that he is capable of giving you more than you have.

What happened to Faite, and further more... what happened to morality?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#17    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:32 PM

Hey, churches need money for the same reason anyone would in running a business.  Going to church is a free service, nobody has to pay a cent, but nothing is really free.  Churches need resources and to repair the building, pay the pastors and people who come in a clean and mow the lawn, shovel the driveway if it snows, pay all the different rent and light bills and everything else.  Churches also help out the people who attend and also give to the community.  Nobody is required to tith, they just hand baskets around and ask that you do.  Some churches do keep track of who does and who does not and how much each person gave and that's just wrong for them to do.  

#18    Ozmeister

Ozmeister

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• I come in peace....shoot to kill

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:35 AM

God wanted 10% of the cattle that people owned because "He" liked having BBQ's and used to have lots of guests around to "His" pad tongue.gif  tongue.gif  grin2.gif

#19    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

• Ignorance I can handle, stupidity I can't.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:40 AM

Chauncy said:
1 Corinthians 16:2 and 2 Corinthians 9:7 is where they get this idea, check it out tell me what you think it means.

Hey, in 16:1 Jesus says do what he told the Galatian churches to do. Where is what he told the Galation churches or was that not written in the Bible? And...my interpretation of 16:2 is this: If you give like you were told to, when Christ comes back he won't have to collect from the naughty boys and girls that were not setting aside money for the church.

OK,OK,OK. 2 Corinthians 9:6. Can someone please explain this one to me please because to me that most definately sounds like it's being said that if you give more, you get more.

Edited by MoonBaby, 27 May 2004 - 12:51 AM.

"This concept of 'wub' confuses and infuriates us!"
~Futurama <---- the aliens

#20    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:00 AM

1 Corinthians 16:2

" On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income,saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made"

Christian giving should be:
Proportional to one's income (1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 8:12)
Consistent (1 Corinthians 16:2)
Sacrificial (Mark 12:43-44, 2 Corinthians 8:2-3)
Cheerful (2 Corinthians 9:7)

Picture this back in the day, collecting money and people were happy to give, it was their duty. Taxation in the guise of Religious Duty. A sheep in a wolf's clothing.

They say oh we want to give. More like they were not only told but told how to do it.

OK,OK,OK. 2 Corinthians 9:6. Can someone please explain this one to me please because to me that most definately sounds like it's being said that if you give more, you get more.

Its most definetly implied MoonBaby!  Like Vito Corleone  " I'll make'em an offer they can't refuse"

user posted image

Edited by Chauncy, 27 May 2004 - 01:04 AM.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#21    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:19 AM

Picture this back in the day, collecting money and people were happy to give, it was their duty.

They were happy 'cause they weren't going to die gunsmilie.gif.

#22    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,855 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:51 AM

Hmm, but according to what Joc said... it was God who said this and he told the people to give 10% of their cattle to God, not the church, God... (be it a sacrifice or whatever...)

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#23    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:55 AM

I would think that back then God and the Church were'nt viewed as being too far apart. Only the priests were consecrated and trained in animal sacrifice. If you wanted to give something to God you had to go through his "middlemen"..
Convienent if you're a hungry priest..

On the other hand, maybe God just wanted a honking big leather jacket....

#24    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:00 AM

Hmm, but according to what Joc said... it was God who said this and he told the people to give 10% of their cattle to God, not the church, God... (be it a sacrifice or whatever...)

Joc was referring to Old Testament tithe issues, we've been mainly dealing with NT tithe issues. this what the OT says.

Genesis 14:17-20: "Then after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley). And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High. And he blessed him and said, 'Blessed be Abram of God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth; and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand.' And he gave him a tenth of all."

Genesis 28:20-22: "Then Jacob made a vow, saying, 'If God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me food to eat and garments to wear, and I return to my father's house in safety, then the Lord will be my God. And this stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be God's house; and of all that Thou dost give me I will surely give a tenth to Thee.'"

Leviticus 27:30-33: "Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord. If, therefore, a man wishes to redeem part of his tithe, he shall add to it one-fifth of it. And for every tenth part of herd or flock, whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the Lord. He is not to be concerned whether it is good or bad, nor shall he exchange it; or if he does exchange it, then both it and its substitute shall become holy. It shall not be redeemed."

Numbers 18:21-24: "And to the sons of Levi, behold, I have given all the tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service which they perform, the service of the tent of meeting. And the sons of Israel shall not come near the tent of meeting again, lest they bear sin and die. Only the Levites shall perform the service of the tent of meeting, and they shall bear their iniquity; it shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations, and among the sons of Israel they shall have no inheritance. For the tithe of the sons of Israel, which they offer as an offering to the Lord, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance; therefore I have said concerning them, 'They shall have no inheritance among the sons of Israel.'"

Deuteronomy 14:22-27: "You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow, which comes out of the field every year. And you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the first-born of your herd and your flock, in order that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. And if the distance is so great for you that you are not able to bring the tithe, since the place where the Lord your God chooses to set His name is too far away from you when the Lord your God blesses you, then you shall exchange it for money, and bind the money in your hand and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses. And you may spend the money for whatever your heart desires, for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. Also you shall not neglect the Levite who is in your town, for he has no portion or inheritance among you."

Deuteronomy 14:28-29: "At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town. And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do."

Nehemiah 12:44: "On that day men were also appointed over the chambers for the stores, the contributions, the first fruits, and the tithes, to gather into them from the fields of the cities the portions required by the law for the priests and Levites; for Judah rejoiced over the priests and Levites who served."

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Posted Image

#25    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:07 AM

Genesis 4:2-5
...Now Able kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the first born of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offerings, but on Cain and his offerings he did not look with favor...

Tell me what you people get out of this.

Edited by MoonBaby, 27 May 2004 - 02:18 AM.

#26    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:20 AM

Genesis 4:2-5
...Now Able kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the first born of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offerings, but on Cain and his offerings he did not look with favor...

Doesn't get anymore implied than that!

user posted image
user posted image

Posted Image

#27    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:20 AM

It tells me that God wants blood...

#28    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:23 AM

And thanks to that little mishap, Abel died gunsmilie.gif

#29    Ozmeister

Ozmeister

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• I come in peace....shoot to kill

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:24 AM

.....To make Black Blood Sausage.......for his BBQ (from my BBQ Theory as above) grin2.gif  tongue.gif

#30    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:27 AM

...to make black blood sausage...for his BBQ

Are we still talking god..or have we moved on to Emeril?     grin2.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users