Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

6 year old talks about end of the world

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31    Amariel

Amariel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak - sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

View Postskya, on 29 October 2009 - 11:56 PM, said:

Hi Amariel. I think it's a bad idea to take her to a counselor about it. Who knows if what she is "reading" is true or not, but in any case, I think getting psychologists involved is a bad idea unless you're looking to get her a prescription. I'll say it again, though I suppose it would depend on who you took her to, bad idea!

As far as the content of this mysterious "book" she's reading, it could very well come true, it also might not.

If it was me, I would tell her not to worry, and that someday, each and every one of us will die,(most likely) however sooner or later all depends on fate, and that no matter what, we'll all make it through somehow. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just take note of it, and then get on with life, and see what happens next.

We're not looking to get her a prescription, that's why we're taking her to a psychologist (psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists are like counsellors and analyse if there isn't an underlying problem, like nightmares due to stress over exams or something along those lines). Dad just wants to find out if there is any other explanations for her behaviour.

If you're from Australia and are looking for some great things to do on the weekend, check out the WeekendNotes website, or better yet, if you're from Victoria check out my own articles (here is my most recent - http://www.weekendno...tle-urban-cafe/). Happy reading!!

#32    skya

skya

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but as far as the US goes, psychology in current practice = psychiatry. Just be careful who you're sending your sister to with "psychological" concerns. These would be more spiritual in nature? Do you think something is wrong with her? Does she seem to need help dealing with what she's "seen"? Is it affecting her functioning or emotional state?

#33    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

The Sum of All Bears

• 5,454 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:37 AM

There's nothing wrong with seeing a counselor, it doesn't mean anything bad, and though it can be scary before the kid goes, as it was for me when I was taken to one, there wasn't a lot to it, some weird questions for reasons I could only guess at, kinda knew what it was about but not what in particular I had done that was wrong or weird, and still don't, but went ahead with everything since it didn't seem threatening.

It really depends on the level of intensity going on with this subject going on - it is hard to tell on the internet if it's a wacky "hey my sister is talking about stuff she read in a book nobody can see lol" or "my sister is seeing things that aren't there, including books which she can read that talk about the end of the world!" One I would laugh off, the other I wouldn't necessarily "worry" about, but I can see if it were significant enough in the stir it causes, I also would probably check with a counselor just to get it resolved, whatever it is - seems prudent.

But it is of course up to the family, the parents, and such so we'll wish them the best whatever they decide and a nice resolution to things.

UM Rules | Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252hrs/4y+, View: Ideomotor

#34    skya

skya

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

Whatever dude. The prudence can go either way. What exactly needs to be "resolved"? Fact. Psychology is a science. It is taught as a science. Her words will have no meaning until either it happens or doesn't happen. Until then, she is either "making up stories" or "having psychic vision". If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. Two years doesn't seem like that long to wait.

#35    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

View PostAmariel, on 30 October 2009 - 01:01 AM, said:

We're not looking to get her a prescription, that's why we're taking her to a psychologist (psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists are like counsellors and analyse if there isn't an underlying problem, like nightmares due to stress over exams or something along those lines). Dad just wants to find out if there is any other explanations for her behaviour.

Children often understand and pick up on things more than we imagine or realise. It might just be her mind trying to deal with concepts and ideas, that re still quite new to her or to foreign for her. Lets face it, the 2012 hype is everywhere in sight, same as the Mexican flu, children are exposed to a myriad of flows of information. Of course as said before, one cannot rule out the intervention of an older kid or an adult.

But in itself, seing a councelor is not a bad idea, they often have ways of getting the child to talk, that we would not think of. Just make sure it is not one of those pill pushers, medication is not the answer to every problem.

Edited by TheSearcher, 30 October 2009 - 01:03 PM.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#36    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 11,977 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

View Postskya, on 30 October 2009 - 01:51 AM, said:

Whatever dude. The prudence can go either way. What exactly needs to be "resolved"? Fact. Psychology is a science. It is taught as a science. Her words will have no meaning until either it happens or doesn't happen. Until then, she is either "making up stories" or "having psychic vision". If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. Two years doesn't seem like that long to wait.

Two years is a long time for a six year old to be afraid.

Advocating NOT getting professional help is dangerous.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#37    skya

skya

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

Searcher- What is it that you feel she needs to "fess up?" Getting her to talk? She's already said it. Probing for further investigation or information doesn't appear to be necessary. She's six. her language skills probably just aren't that developed. In this situation, I don't see how counseling would be helpful. I mean, if your looking for some kind of behavior modification.. The "restricted section" book thing sounds pretty Harry Potterish. She didn't happen to watch that did she? Even as a toddler, the subconscious mind supposedly picks up on like everything.

And Nibs, do you have children? Is she even afraid? I didn't read the entire thread, but I didn't catch on that she was. The family honestly seems more afraid. I'll just quote one of the Essene Gospel of Peace's books and say "Do not prophecy." And those are supposedly Jesus' words. What can a counselor do for her that her family can't? I'm sure though, they'd be thrilled with their fees.

You take her and you risk altering her self esteem, how she relates to the world and others. I suggest you examine your motives Amariel. For good or bad. We often come with both, but it's up to us to choose carefully when we can.

#38    HerNibs

HerNibs

• 11,977 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

View Postskya, on 30 October 2009 - 02:44 PM, said:

Searcher- What is it that you feel she needs to "fess up?" Getting her to talk? She's already said it. Probing for further investigation or information doesn't appear to be necessary. She's six. her language skills probably just aren't that developed. In this situation, I don't see how counseling would be helpful. I mean, if your looking for some kind of behavior modification.. The "restricted section" book thing sounds pretty Harry Potterish. She didn't happen to watch that did she? Even as a toddler, the subconscious mind supposedly picks up on like everything.

And Nibs, do you have children? Is she even afraid? I didn't read the entire thread, but I didn't catch on that she was. The family honestly seems more afraid. I'll just quote one of the Essene Gospel of Peace's books and say "Do not prophecy." And those are supposedly Jesus' words. What can a counselor do for her that her family can't? I'm sure though, they'd be thrilled with their fees.

You take her and you risk altering her self esteem, how she relates to the world and others. I suggest you examine your motives Amariel. For good or bad. We often come with both, but it's up to us to choose carefully when we can.

Yes, I have several children.  All grown up now.  The child is exhibiting fear by not wanting to speak about this any more.  

Yeah, families generally don't have professional training.  I won't comment on the quotes from your book.  Means nothing.

The child is worried about people dying and obviously has come into contact with a strange and scary idea of the world ending.  From the OP's posts I would say that the child's behavior has changed as well.

Obviously the child's self esteem has already been "altered" and her perception is changed.  

The love of the family is a support system, NOT a solution.

The situation needs to be discussed with a doctor.  A counselor would be great.  

Young children often become interested and sometimes obsessed with death.  If the child exhibits fear and shame then SOMETHING needs to be done.  

Nibs

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#39    skya

skya

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 30 October 2009 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yes, I have several children.  All grown up now.  The child is exhibiting fear by not wanting to speak about this any more.  

Yeah, families generally don't have professional training.  I won't comment on the quotes from your book.  Means nothing.

The child is worried about people dying and obviously has come into contact with a strange and scary idea of the world ending.  From the OP's posts I would say that the child's behavior has changed as well.

Obviously the child's self esteem has already been "altered" and her perception is changed.  

The love of the family is a support system, NOT a solution.

The situation needs to be discussed with a doctor.  A counselor would be great.  

Young children often become interested and sometimes obsessed with death.  If the child exhibits fear and shame then SOMETHING needs to be done.  

Nibs

My bad. You having children really doesn't matter and I shouldn't have asked. My apologies.

I don't know if this is an Australian term, but really, I'd just pooh pooh the situation and let it pass. (Of course, I'm not there, and I don't know the whole situation, and though it does seem like it could be a bit frightening, I'd let your little sis take the lead on this one.) And I truly hope whatever happens, it's in accordance to her highest good and may she be carried by God's grace.

Edited by skya, 30 October 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#40    Rosewin

Rosewin

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

A reluctance on the part of the child does not automatically convey fear on their part. Only their family can know if the child is truly fearful and disturbed, in which case seek help, but it seems like they are already going to seek help so...it seems like a closed matter. It would be nice for updates but it looks like our part is mostly done and what happens next is really none of our business.

Edited by Rosewin, 30 October 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#41    Amariel

Amariel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak - sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:15 AM

Everyone seems to keep wondering if she is actually scared or fearful, and she really hasn't appeared so, but yes HerNibs her behaviour has changed - she is more withdrawn with both family and at school (based on reports from her teacher). This is the main reason my dad wants to take her to counselling because a sudden change in her behaviour like this we feel is not normal. She was such a bubbly and loud little girl and now she sits alone in her room, not even playing with her toys. And the sudden change occurred over a period of about a week at maximum. Dad just feels it's related to this 'end of the world' stuff because it started happening around the same time. There may be no connection what so ever, but we're hoping a counsellor or psychologist will be able to tell us that.

If you're from Australia and are looking for some great things to do on the weekend, check out the WeekendNotes website, or better yet, if you're from Victoria check out my own articles (here is my most recent - http://www.weekendno...tle-urban-cafe/). Happy reading!!

#42    HerNibs

HerNibs

• 11,977 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

View PostAmariel, on 31 October 2009 - 06:15 AM, said:

Everyone seems to keep wondering if she is actually scared or fearful, and she really hasn't appeared so, but yes HerNibs her behaviour has changed - she is more withdrawn with both family and at school (based on reports from her teacher). This is the main reason my dad wants to take her to counselling because a sudden change in her behaviour like this we feel is not normal. She was such a bubbly and loud little girl and now she sits alone in her room, not even playing with her toys. And the sudden change occurred over a period of about a week at maximum. Dad just feels it's related to this 'end of the world' stuff because it started happening around the same time. There may be no connection what so ever, but we're hoping a counsellor or psychologist will be able to tell us that.

:)

It does sound like she's worried and dwelling on it too much.  The counselor should help.

You and your dad's job is to make sure she feels loved no matter what.  If you and your dad don't seem afraid then that will help her a bunch.

Let us know how she's doing.

Kids hit rough spots but with healthy and loving care they can be fine.

Nibs

#43    skya

skya

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

"If it was me, I would tell her not to worry, and that someday, each and every one of us will die,(most likely) however sooner or later all depends on fate, and that no matter what, we'll all make it through somehow. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe just take note of it, and then get on with life, and see what happens next."

I just wanted to add that a reassuring hug would probably be a big help to go along with this.

#44    Bountykat

Bountykat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• "My beer-drunk soul is sadder than all the dead Christmas trees of the world."
    -Charles Bukowski

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:15 AM

View Postskya, on 30 October 2009 - 01:27 AM, said:

I don't know what it's like in Australia, but as far as the US goes, psychology in current practice = psychiatry. Just be careful who you're sending your sister to with "psychological" concerns. These would be more spiritual in nature? Do you think something is wrong with her? Does she seem to need help dealing with what she's "seen"? Is it affecting her functioning or emotional state?

That's not true.
Psychiatrists are doctors; they have to go to medical school while psychologists do not.
Psychologists cannot prescribe medication.
Anyway Amariel, it may be a good idea to send her, she may be stressing about something and creating some ridiculous fantasy because of it.

"My beer-drunk soul is sadder than all the dead Christmas trees of the world."
-Charles Bukowski

#45    WaltFreakinWhitman

WaltFreakinWhitman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:09 AM

View PostAmariel, on 24 October 2009 - 01:25 AM, said:

Does anyone have any advice or any explanation as to what's going on with her?

Maybe she has a Sister who spends all her time on the Internet looking up stuff like "Unexplained Mysteries" and then proceeds to talk a whole lot about it.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users