Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Buddha real or just a statue?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,767 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:10 AM

Edited remark  Is he a God or a statue?  Discuss. wink2.gif

Edited by Magikman, 27 May 2004 - 05:21 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#2    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:19 AM

And the winner of the Most Likely Thread to get locked is..... laugh.gif  

#3    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:21 AM

Edited inflamatory remark

Edited by Magikman, 27 May 2004 - 05:22 AM.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#4    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:27 AM

Is he a God or a statue? Discuss

The most basic role of Buddha images is to convey the feeling of calm and detachment that reflects proper mental discipline with control over the negative emotions of fear and greed.  The Buddha's serene appearance sets an example for his followers.

Buddha statues and other Buddhist art also serve an important role in conveying teachings, particularly in traditional societies with low rates of literacy.  Classic postures are associated with particular lessons and/or moments in the Buddha’s life.  Production of religious art is considered a generous or “merit making” activity because it helps spread Buddhist teaching and reduce people’s suffering

Edited by Magikman, 27 May 2004 - 05:23 AM.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#5    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:29 AM

I think that several are missing the point that joc is attempting to make some sort of a statement... rolleyes.gif  

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#6    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:30 AM

I'm not missing the point.... look at my reply.... its as constructif as his original.gif

----Seraphina

#7    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:30 AM

He is? What could it be?   rolleyes.gif  

#8    Ozmeister

Ozmeister

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• I come in peace....shoot to kill

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:31 AM

Now we're bordering on the ridiculously facetious, joc. All this thread is, is just an attempt on your part to be "smart" about the Jesus thread.

FYI....."Buddha" was a real person, just like Jesus. His name was Guattama Siddhartha and he was born around the middle of the 6th Century BC. No, he is not a god but he is venerated as a wise holy man. He, in fact, is one of several "Buddhas", or elightened people. Another funny "coincidence" is that Jesus' own teachings bear an uncanny resemblance to what Siddhartha taught. I wonder why...hmmmmmm??.

#9    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:33 AM

Right now he's almost trolling.

----Seraphina

#10    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:34 AM

The best part of all the other beliefs you sighted is not a single one of them tries to SELL their beliefs to others, indeed they do not FORCE it on others.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Posted Image

#11    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,767 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:42 AM

The best part of all the other beliefs you sighted is not a single one of them tries to SELL their beliefs to others, indeed they do not FORCE it on others.

Tell that to the Taliban. ohmy.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#12    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE (Chauncy @ May 26 2004, 08:34 PM)

Do you mean that you don't get the Budhists knocking at your door on Sunday morning handing out literature and telling you that you will go to hell if you don't convert? Hmmm...

But there was the Inquisition were all of the hindus tortured the peasants until they converted...oh wait that wasn't the hindus, nevermind.

But with the crusades...umm...right.

You have a point. thumbsup.gif

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#13    Ozmeister

Ozmeister

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:46 AM

....and the Taliban (and other sects of Islam), are an extension of Judeo-Christianity, with the cultural and tribal beliefs of the Arabs thrown in for good measure. Of course it has evolved over time, but in essence it is nothing more than that.

Just as Christianity is an extension of Judaism.

#14    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:48 AM

i'll have to admit though that when I read that this thread name I almost had a cow laughing so hard.....sounded like something my nephew would ask.....lol

We could use these threads to educate each other on these beliefs as well.

Posted Image

#15    Ozmeister

Ozmeister

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:07 AM

One of the Buddha's disciples asked him oneday "What is the meaning of existence??".....the Buddha picked up a lotus flower and held it in his hand, smiling. He sat there like that for awhile admiring the flower and when his followers asked why he hadn't answered the question, he replied "but I just did".

Do you know what the answer is??

Jesus tried to teach the same, but as with Guattama, it was lost on his followers for the most of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users