Very interesting UFO incident from Ohio in which multiple police officers witness and chase a UFO (Project Blue Book Record 10073) - the case was also the model for the scene in Steven Spielberg's film 'Close Encounters of the Third kind'.
On the morning of April 17th, 1966, police officers encountered a structured, low-level UFO, and gave chase. Officers of the Portage County, Ohio, Sheriff's Department first saw the object rise up from near ground level, bathing them in light, near Ravenna, Ohio, about 5:00 A.M. Ordered by the sergeant to pursue the object, they chased it for eighty-five miles across the border into Pennsylvania, as it seemed to play a cat-and-mouse game with them. Along the route, police officers from other jurisdictions saw the object and joined in the chase.
Deputy Sheriff Dale Spaur and Mounted Deputy Wilbur "Barney" Neff had left their car to investigate an apparently abandoned automobile on Route 224. Spaur stated:
"I always look behind me so no one can come up behind me. And when I looked in this wooded area behind us, I saw this thing. At this time it was coming up...to about tree top level. I'd say about one hundred feet. it started moving toward us.... As it came over the trees, I looked at Barney and he was still watching the car...and he didn't say nothing and the thing kept getting brighter and the area started to get light...I told him to look over his shoulder, and he did.
He just stood there with his mouth open for a minute, as bright as it was, and he looked down. And I started looking down and I looked at my hands and my clothes weren't burning or anything, when it stopped right over on top of us. The only thing, the only sound in the whole area was a hum...like a transformer being loaded or an overloaded transformer when it changes....
According to Spaur, as the four officers stood and watched the UFO, which had stopped and was hovering, there was traffic on the radio about jets being scrambled to chase the UFO, and "...we could see these planes coming in...When they started talking about fighter planes, it was just as if that thing heard every word that was said; it went PSSSSSHHEW, straight up; and I mean when it went up, friend, it didn't play no games; it went straight up."
Officer sketch of the object:
Officer descriptions of the object:
1. Projection, tilted from rear (trailing edge) 18' long, tapered to to tip
2. Dome-shaped top; partly metallic, partly self-illuminated
3. Glowing front (leading edge)
4. Cone-shaped light underneath
5. Glowing tip of trailing edge
6. Metallic surface
7. Sharp "drop-off" (Neff disagrees; remembers more rounded here)
8. Rounded "undercarriage"
9. Line separating metallic from self-illuminated portions
SPAUR-NEFF, SIGHTING TERMINUS
1. Bright spot to right of moon, a little above axis of symmetry of crescent
2. Crescent moon (bump in concave portion indicates "nose" of "Man in Moon")
3. TV antenna on nearby house, through whose elements Spaur and Neff saw the
UFO hovering before 1st upward elevation
4. Position of UFO after 1st elevation, above moon (now moving away, or disappearing)
HUSTON, UFO DETAIL
1. Cone-shaped light underneath
2. Bright, self-illuminated solid appearing top
3. Dome shape
4. Cone tilted toward rear, of direction of motion, more so than shown here.
Edited by karl 12, 29 October 2009 - 07:19 PM.