Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Mayan Calendar does not end in 2012 after all


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

The article was found in a Dutch science magasine, so I'll add the google translations page here and will put the link to the original dutch article.

What it comes down to is this :

The recalculation comes from the thesis done by nature scientist Andreas Fuls, three years ago, used for his doctorate at the Technical University Berlin. Fuls pointed out that the GMT-correlation is not consistent with the preserved Mayan tables on which the positions of Venus are listed. More even, there are the inscriptions and objects, which in the times of Goodman, Martinez and Thompson were not detected yet or which are now outdated.  By adding it all together, Fuls comes up with a very different dating: one that has shifted 208 years.  The end of the long count by the correlation is only in about two centuries, December, 2220.

Google translate link
Original dutch article

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#2    Tetsuo

Tetsuo

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined:12 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

interesting, too bad hollywood have gotten their hands on it, which makes 2012 fact now XD


#3    Cynical Sounds

Cynical Sounds

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Joined:22 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norfolk UK

  • "Do you have any evidence for that?"

    "there's more to life than evidence. "

    ......"Get in the ****ing sack"

    Dara O'Brien

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 02 November 2009 - 08:49 AM, said:

The article was found in a Dutch science magasine, so I'll add the google translations page here and will put the link to the original dutch article.

What it comes down to is this :

The recalculation comes from the thesis done by nature scientist Andreas Fuls, three years ago, used for his doctorate at the Technical University Berlin. Fuls pointed out that the GMT-correlation is not consistent with the preserved Mayan tables on which the positions of Venus are listed. More even, there are the inscriptions and objects, which in the times of Goodman, Martinez and Thompson were not detected yet or which are now outdated.  By adding it all together, Fuls comes up with a very different dating: one that has shifted 208 years.  The end of the long count by the correlation is only in about two centuries, December, 2220.

Google translate link
Original dutch article

well at least i should be dead by the time the next OMG MAYANS SAID THE WORLD WILL END rubbish will come along

didn't some1 calculate it ended sometime in the 17 or 1800's

I Don't Know Does Not Mean You're Right

#4    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

If it being used by hollywood makes a thing true, then where the hell is that moonsized battlestation I ordered last month??

More on topic, I'll look up if someone calculated it to the 1800's or earlier. Cause as far as I know, nobody did, I could be mistaken though.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#5    digitalartist

digitalartist

    Psychic Spy

  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Joined:21 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York State

  • I'm Done

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

Once 2012 passes, someone here who firmly believes in the great cosmic event of 2012 (that never happened) will remember this articls and start the ball rolling again.  This is perfect for sitchin who can rework his calculations in his next book and he will be dead and buried long before that time comes.  I am also sure that some conspiracy theorist will post to tell us that the story was plant to keep us from the truth that Nibiru will show up in 2012 to wreak havok on this world.

Edited by digitalartist, 02 November 2009 - 03:03 PM.


#6    tinieblas

tinieblas

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male

  • just because a million people believe in a stupid thing, doesn't stop it being a stupid thing

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

As long as you remember that plenty of us here have said clearly that 2012 is not the end of the world at all but a change in our concept of it.

Open Minded Seeker of the Possible
"there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio" - Hamlet
"science is a tool with which to measure, not a rule[r] with which to strike the supposedly ignorant" - source unknown
"the fact that a million people beleive in a stupid thing does not stop it from being a stupid thing" - Anon

#7    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

View Posttinieblas, on 02 November 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

As long as you remember that plenty of us here have said clearly that 2012 is not the end of the world at all but a change in our concept of it.

I doubt even that, because for any kind of concept to change, there must be an event precipitating said change. That is not something that just happens because a year passes. No reaction without action and a change in perception or conception is clearly a reaction.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#8    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

Notice how all the other threads have thousands of replies, but everyone ignores this. It's like some people want it to happen?!!!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    DrunkDwarf

DrunkDwarf

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined:04 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Thurso, Scotland

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

View PostCoffey, on 03 November 2009 - 10:15 AM, said:

Notice how all the other threads have thousands of replies, but everyone ignores this. It's like some people want it to happen?!!!

Of course they want it to happen, the desire for the world to end is part of the reason why people come up with this nonsense in the first place.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

Visit my blog at http://www.brianmcgillivray.com/

#10    Tim G

Tim G

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined:12 Oct 2009

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

View PostDrunkDwarf, on 03 November 2009 - 12:13 PM, said:

Of course they want it to happen, the desire for the world to end is part of the reason why people come up with this nonsense in the first place.

Mainly because they have nothing else to look forward to, hence the fear mongering.


#11    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

    Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

  • Member
  • 15,163 posts
  • Joined:08 Feb 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:london, ontario

  • ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

View PostTetsuo, on 02 November 2009 - 09:54 AM, said:

interesting, too bad hollywood have gotten their hands on it, which makes 2012 fact now XD

i know.
its set in stone now. and everyone buys it.

blow up hollywood? anyone in?

the truth is out there....

#12    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 03 November 2009 - 04:48 PM, said:

i know.
its set in stone now. and everyone buys it.

blow up hollywood? anyone in?

Sounds like a plan to me  :D :P

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#13    G3N0M3

G3N0M3

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Joined:20 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

  • Reality is a concept of man - Therefore reality is what man makes of it.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

Really no one knows, there have been more civilizations that figured the world would end not just the Mayans, theres books detailing the apocolypse (Holy Bible). :huh:

Greek figured that the world would end in this decade, so did egyptians (not this date later) and other countries throughout the world, at different times... :alien:

Frankly Hollywood blew up the preportions for entertainment sakes, do you think that they have some secret writter that can see the future, and thats where their getting these stories from?
Change, change is inevitable whether any skeptic, believer, or the people who just don't care... Example; What was the TV like for the 60s generation?? What about cellphones? Pictures?? :ph34r:

To put it blankly, the most likely scenario of the "Earth's Demise" is what scientists found out about the Sun and Earths "joining" this is no concept, its reality, and they believe that this is what heats us at exactly the right temperature... :yes:

Most people just go off of heresay, where the people who think for themselves, read multiple articles, papers, thesis', etc...

http://www.gsfc.nasa.../2001/01-71.htm

This basicaly reads out how the Sun and the Earth are connected, its a good read and it may get people thinking. :tu:

Now think of a solar flare in that same area? Cooked chicken, human, cow, dog, cat, tree, and whales...Nothing could avoid it...Greeks believe that from a planet leaving its normal tregection will get close to the sun and send off heat that will kill us (most likely along the lines mentioned). Egyptians tell of the same thing... Even the Romans regarded the sun Sol at the ultimate god, Sols tribute would always come first. Too many other countries, religions, etc. to mention, I mean even Norse mythology is included here... :blink:

Also if anyone had ever actualy read articles about 2012, scientists themselves said that they could be off by a decade... Which might have triggered what changed the world at that time, and is still changing the world, 9/11. Or perhaps it will be 2022, but the fact of the matter is, its better to be prepared than wishing you were... B)

Hope this got you all thinking,
G3N0M3

[Just had to add in smilies]

Edited by G3N0M3, 03 November 2009 - 06:10 PM.

Need answers to many questions? Give me a shout I can help you out!
Posted Image


#14    tinieblas

tinieblas

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male

  • just because a million people believe in a stupid thing, doesn't stop it being a stupid thing

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:31 AM

Many people don't realise that Apocalypse is from the Greek word Ἀποκάλυψις Apokálypsis;  meaning "lifting of the veil" or "revelation"; which means that nobody is saying it is the end, but a change, a revelation, the ushering in of a new age.  In this, many of the prophets seem to agree.....

Edited by tinieblas, 04 November 2009 - 05:32 AM.

Open Minded Seeker of the Possible
"there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio" - Hamlet
"science is a tool with which to measure, not a rule[r] with which to strike the supposedly ignorant" - source unknown
"the fact that a million people beleive in a stupid thing does not stop it from being a stupid thing" - Anon

#15    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

    Coffee expert extraordinair

  • Member
  • 3,845 posts
  • Joined:16 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:13 AM

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

Really no one knows, there have been more civilizations that figured the world would end not just the Mayans, theres books detailing the apocolypse (Holy Bible). :huh:
Sorry but the bible never gives an accurate time period, only vague prophecies. By definition open to interpretation hence not reliable and biaised.

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

Greek figured that the world would end in this decade, so did egyptians (not this date later) and other countries throughout the world, at different times... :alien:

Care to give some examples on where the Greek and the Egyptians say this?

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

Frankly Hollywood blew up the preportions for entertainment sakes, do you think that they have some secret writter that can see the future, and thats where their getting these stories from?

They are getting their stories from a very fertile imagination, that's for sure.

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

Change, change is inevitable whether any skeptic, believer, or the people who just don't care... Example; What was the TV like for the 60s generation?? What about cellphones? Pictures?? :ph34r:

Yes it's called progress and nobody is doubting that. This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

To put it blankly, the most likely scenario of the "Earth's Demise" is what scientists found out about the Sun and Earths "joining" this is no concept, its reality, and they believe that this is what heats us at exactly the right temperature... :yes:

Most people just go off of heresay, where the people who think for themselves, read multiple articles, papers, thesis', etc...

http://www.gsfc.nasa.../2001/01-71.htm

This basicaly reads out how the Sun and the Earth are connected, its a good read and it may get people thinking. :tu:

Now think of a solar flare in that same area? Cooked chicken, human, cow, dog, cat, tree, and whales...Nothing could avoid it...

That article does not describe earth's demise at all, it describes a fundamental physical processes, it has been going on for eons and will keep going on for eons. Nowhere in the article do they claim that "this is what heats us at exactly the right temperature", nor does it talk about "demise".
The fact that you think a solar flare would have any influence "on the same spot" shows that you have not understood the article. It is in the distant reconnection region of the tail, on the night side of Earth, where the solar wind enters the magnetosphere. A solar flare comes full frontal, the day side. They cannot happen in the same area!. No cooking to be found, sorry.

Reading an article is nice, understanding it is a totally different matter.

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

Greeks believe that from a planet leaving its normal tregection will get close to the sun and send off heat that will kill us (most likely along the lines mentioned). Egyptians tell of the same thing... Even the Romans regarded the sun Sol at the ultimate god, Sols tribute would always come first. Too many other countries, religions, etc. to mention, I mean even Norse mythology is included here... :blink:

Solar worship can be found all over the world, yes, but not as prevalent as you make it sound. For example the romans did not worship the sun till emperor Aurelian made it the state religion in 274 CE. But lets not disgress.

Could you tell me, where exactly, you found the bit about the greeks and Egyptians talking about a planet leaving it's trajectory (or rather more correctly orbit) and being roasted by the sun's heat?

View PostG3N0M3, on 03 November 2009 - 06:01 PM, said:

Also if anyone had ever actualy read articles about 2012, scientists themselves said that they could be off by a decade... Which might have triggered what changed the world at that time, and is still changing the world, 9/11. Or perhaps it will be 2022, but the fact of the matter is, its better to be prepared than wishing you were... B)

Hope this got you all thinking,
G3N0M3

[Just had to add in smilies]

I read the articles about 2012, it's only the one I posted, that allows for this 220 years error in the calculation of the mayan calandar. If you however refer to the 2012 phenomenon and hype, I consider it a load of b******s anyway.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users