Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists? (144 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Think That The Yowie Really Exists?

1. Yes. (51 votes [35.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.42%

2. No. (63 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. I haven't made my mind up yet (30 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 08 October 2010 - 11:33 PM, said:

Make some money from what?
Having top quality footage of a new species of human of course. The price-bidding is inevitable surely? The bigfoot wouldn't be able to detect thermal unlike conventional IR,  replace human with yowie

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#152    zednuts

zednuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

• Ordinary Person

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

View PostNight Walker, on 08 October 2010 - 11:33 PM, said:

"First hand" refers to reports which come directly from the original source. The accounts listed by zednuts are not his own experiences but are, at best, second hand (related to him from the source and then to us). Reports of this nature - 2nd hand accounts of anonymous people at non-specific locations claiming anomalous experiences which are attributed to the presence of a Yowie - sorry, but as it stands, those are the stuff of campfire storytelling.

That is why it is important to request further details.

Make some money from what?

Woo nelly! You've made several errors there Night Walker and it doesn't bode well for any claim you make to being a genuine researcher.

Yes I've just given a couple of 'off my head' examples of yowie sightings I personally know of. But far from "anonymous people and non-specific locations" I've given very precise locations that any researcher worth his/her salt could follow up on. And I've quoted real names: real people and real sources. Eg: Bega District News is one of the oldest papers in Australia. Wallaga lake Aboriginal village is a very precise location covering a just few hundred acres near Bermagui. The farm of the newspaper report is less than one kilometer from where I'm sitting right now (if it weren't for the trees i could photograph it right now - google earth Tathra / Thompson's / Bega river mouth and you'll be right on it). Of course I won't give Brian or Neville's full name without their permission but mine is Lee Freeman and this is where i live:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a fellow researcher, I agree with the general drift and point you're making but to be inaccurate about such basic things and include such basic logic fallacies bordering on ad-hominem shows a lack of seriousness and respect and have one wondering the worth of sharing info with someone not willing to do some quick checking to confirm the existence of places, people and articles before labeling(/libeling? lol)  things as possibly fictitious. I know this is the internet but there are still some honest people out here who take their reputations seriously and don't like being accused of lying or stretching things. I report very accurately on a number of forum on a number of issues.

As I said, there are hundreds of newspaper reports of yowie sightings in Australia (some of the earliest going back to the very first papers published here) One reference I have is from an Adelaide newspaper dated 1829 - a paper I found amongst hundreds in the attic of an old house I was working on over there (a mansion on Main North East road Walkerville to be fairly precise  lol).. I've only begun my investigation of this subject but apart from the articles I've already unearthed myself, I have books here with dozens of references to such reports. Having relatives in every State, I have strange phenomena (including yowie) reports from old papers in the Barossa Valley and many other places around Australia.

That said, I don't place much store in written reports. They're interesting but not much use as an investigative tool. First hand oral reports are usually much more accurate and useful to follow up (local knowledge is everything or close to it).

I'm not making any extraordinary claims here or asking anyone to believe anything but the fact that the yowie is alive and well in the minds and memory of the Australian people. I feel like lol when I hear some ignorant folk bagging the indigenous people as superstitious ignorant savages when in some respects they are still well advanced of anything imagined in the west.

Most of my books are sealed in tea-chests waiting the completion of my house here but, as I said, I'll post up some more info when I can (eg: A mate has a copy of Tanja Gold and I'll head to Eden Whale Museum next week and post photos of the National Parks yowie information board.

cheers all,

zedNuts

ps: what worries me Night Walker, is that if the simple recalling of a few "campfire stories" has your knickers in a knot you'll go into complete meltdown when I post about the 'paranormal'  goings on around here (including photographic evidence .. naturally lol).

Edited by zednuts, 09 October 2010 - 01:49 PM.

Posted Image

#153    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

Whoa... all I was asking for was more information. I suggest that it is not I who has their knickers in a knot.

You stated that you know "about a dozen people who say they have either seen a Yowie or witnessed it's presence" (I only know of 3 but they are all full of carp when it comes to the Yowie and one of them is a cop - go figure) yet you are unsure of the existence of the Yowie. This suggests that you yourself have reservations about the validity of their accounts so why do you get defensive when someone asks for further information?

Such a response is not dissimilar from other Yowie Researchers who are somewhat less-than-scrupulous in their approach. If you are not like them then stop with the games and present further information which support your claims.

Are you able to provide further information or not? It's a simple and valid request ...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#154    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,131 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

View PostHumblemun, on 09 October 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

Having top quality footage of a new species of human of course. The price-bidding is inevitable surely? The bigfoot wouldn't be able to detect thermal unlike conventional IR,  replace human with yowie

Thermal imagery is open to mischief. I predict there will be many thermal images of "Bigfoot" in the coming years which will amount to the usual fair - misidentification and hoaxing. A simple camera with flash should be all that is required if people really are sighting Yowies as often as they claim. Some people claims dozens of sightings and encounters, often at close proximity and of a dramatic nature, yet nothing exists in the way of tangible evidence. Not a thing.

If you are in this to make money then I suggest you are travelling down a well trodden path on a very slippery slope...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

#155    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

View Postzednuts, on 09 October 2010 - 01:46 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
As a fellow researcher,.
Nice sign Zednuts. Looks like you got a great place as an ozzy cryptonaturalist. Ignore the likes of NW, he's not on the same wavelength at all and his answers are predictable and boring imo. Good luck with your investigations. H

P.S I'm saving up for this piece of kit, M5 pan/tilt thermal camera system, customised with a tranquilising gun in order to capture a BIG puma and two smaller panthers which have taken residence on a 40 acre nature reserve where I volunteer.

Edited by Humblemun, 11 October 2010 - 09:35 AM.

The object, known by the locals as "Bicho Voador" (Flying Animal), or "Bicho Sugador" (Sucking Animal), has the shape of a rounded ship and attacks people in isolation.

#156    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,804 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:46 AM

View Postzednuts, on 04 October 2010 - 10:55 AM, said:

The local Aboriginal people are totally sure of the yowies existence and report occasional sightings at their bush camps* and even a recent sighting at Wallaga Lake just north of here.

As you woud know though, the Indigenous have many groups and each are to their own. When my relatives came down from the top end I asked them about Yowies, they all laughed heartily. One fellow laughed so hard he literally fell of his chair and then they stared laughing at how white man interprets the dreamtime for himself. I could only feel embarrassed, as this is indeed the case. From what I understand, the Yowie legend is far from consistent, or believed by all Indigenous. What you are describing is an isolated situation. Not unique, but not the average either. The Rainbow Serpent has far more consistency with regards to country wide legends.

View Postzednuts, on 04 October 2010 - 10:55 AM, said:

BTW: I'm as skeptical and cynical as anyone but try to keep derision in check as whatever these people have experienced it was real to them and just as easily could have happened to me. I guess what I'm saying is I don't have much respect for lounge-chair de-bunkers who've never experienced anything themselves or gone out of their cosy comfort zones to have the universe throw something different their way. It's very easy for the lazy and/or non-inquiring (therefore non-scientific) mind to dismiss everything not nailed down in a museum as bunkum, to assign oral history to the wastebasket and treat eyewitness accounts as of no import.

I honestly do not believe that the average Joe is ridiculed, just the ones in organisations that make a war out of belief in the ideal.

View Postzednuts, on 05 October 2010 - 11:24 AM, said:

Hi humblemun,

None of my friends are into hi-tech. None even have digital cameras or computers. Brian has a cell phone and CB radio but that's about as high tech as most folks get in this corner of Australia. Fair dinkum, they all think I'm a computer geek because I know the difference between a SD card and a memory stick  :lol:

I do have one friend who is an analogue type radio genius (David spent many years working at our Antarctic bases and was the one who caught South Africa and Israel exploding nukes in the southern ocean). He will help me set up radio cameras here one day.

I've only just bought a digital slr (Nikon D5000) so I'm still getting to know that but am very interested in infra-red and night photography. Thanks for the recommendation, I need all the help I can get.

cheers zed.

Fair go mate, you are going to have the rest of the World thinking Australia is a big version of Walkabout creek. QUT, QT, Monash, many brilliant Universities are at the forefront of technology. I live in the GC Hinterland, smack bang in the middle of what is claimed to be a Yowie hotspot. I am quite able with all forms of modern technology and prefer to use FreeBSD as an operating system. I have digital cameras that I take on my walks, a motion cam with shake control and I have CCTV at my house. Digital tech is cheap as chips these days.

I take it you are rural, and if so, that would make you very much in the minority population of Australia. With broadband services and little retail in the area, nor much use for modern technology, it is little wonder that the more rural areas of Australia are not as tech savvy as the majority of the population gathered along the coast lines.

For Jon B)

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#157    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,131 posts

J.M. Smith

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

This is a continuation of the discussion from: http://www.unexplain...ic=197883&st=15

In response to your query, Tia - I like to go bushwalking particularly at night (hence “Night Walker”). I usually go by myself but do welcome company when it is available (believers and sceptics alike). I like to get out and about at least 2-3 times per week (more if I am able) as it is a very enjoyable experience and good exercise (much safer than walking the suburbs). There are many things that go bump in the night so I made the promise to myself to investigate, with camera at the ready, anything that I couldn’t explain– I have never encountered any Yowies nor signs of their presence despite a collection of alleged sightings in my area. Note: I use the term “alleged sightings” because the details they contain are, at best, minimal and the information provided contains nothing that can be verified. The more one looks into the Yowie the less there is to see.

[An interesting side note is that is incredibly easy to induce a sense of apprehension and fear in others when accompanied on my night walks – particularly believers and those uncomfortable in dark and unfamiliar places. A good way to size up the potential for a scare is to suddenly pause, hold up a hand indicating silence, then to give the impression that I am listening intently whilst pointing a spotlight in one direction, then say something like “it was probably nothing” before turning off the spotlight and resuming the walk in relative darkness. It worked so well on my youngest son that a bit later he thought he saw someone move behind a nearby tree (an investigation revealed nothing, of course).]

I understand that it is not generally socially acceptable to label individuals as being “pranksters”, “hoaxers”, and “fantasy-prone” (amongst others), nor does anyone like to think of themselves or their friends in such terms, yet the lesson of cryptozoology is that such labels provide an accurate description of many of the individuals who have forward with extraordinary claims not just in recent modern times but extending back at least hundreds of years into history. Indeed, the first claim that can attributed to the Yowie – “A Description of a wonderful large wild man, or monstrous giant, brought from Botany Bay” – from 1789 was a prank/hoax. http://acms.sl.nsw.g...px?itemID=98388

Prank - practical joke: a mischievous trick or silly stunt done for amusement (Encarta World English Dictionary)

Hoax - deception: an act intended to trick people into believing something is real when it is not (Encarta World English Dictionary)

Fantasy Proneness – In summary, the totality of the research indicates that there is this broad clinical entity known as the fantasy-prone personality type, which is likely comprised of various psychological and neurological conditions that result in heightened fantasizing and/or an impaired ability to distinguish internal fantasy from external reality. Research indicates that this subset of humanity is disproportionately responsible for a large number of reported paranormal experiences, including ghosts, angels, aliens, abductions, out of body experiences, near death experiences, reincarnation, and others. Fortunately the science in this area is serious and rigorous and progressing quite nicely, aided by the latest tools in neuroscience, such as fMRI scanning. http://theness.com/n...ogicablog/?p=84

I reckon it is better to confront these issues head-on rather than to simply ignore them and pretend that they do not exist. So, in that respect, there are quite a few individuals associated with the Yowie that terms such as “prankster”, “hoaxer”, and “fantasy prone” are very applicable, often more so than the term “researcher” which is usually their preference.

You may not know prolific hoaxer Brett Green - http://home.yowieoca...e_Pyramid_Hoax/ - , Tia, but your Yowie Researcher friends most certainly do. To them he is considered to be “highly credible” – which is a big red flag that not all is as it seems in regards to the Yowie.

On the issue of fantasy-proneness, crypto-authors Healy and Cropper (1994) touch on it among their criticisms of Rex Gilroy – the Father of Yowie Research – in Out of the Shadows: Mystery Animals of Australia:

Even more perplexing is the remarkably high number of personal sightings of unknown animals which have been attributed to Rex. Perhaps he has been extensively misquoted, but at various times he has been credited with having seen: one, two, possibly three – or even four Yowies; a Tasmanian tiger (in New South Wales); The Lake Taupo (New Zealand) monster; The Kangaroo Valley panther p144.

Yet in their follow-up compilation The Yowie: In Search of Australia’s Bigfoot (2006), while retaining their other criticisms of Gilroy, the above criticism is dropped. Why? Because the vast bulk of the additional Yowie claims in their latest edition come from sources who make Gilroy look positively conservative: Neil Frost - http://www.abc.net.a...ies/s581072.htm - claims hundreds of Yowie encounters, Dean Harrison - http://www.unexplain...1 - claims dozens of dramatic Yowie encounters, while our friend Brett Green only claims a few but is regarded by the authors as being a “historian” whilst neglecting to inform readers of his documented fabrications.

Then there is the case of Jerry and Sue O’Connor, from the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, whose claims include:

something that sounded the size of “a bull elephant” crashing through the surrounding scrub…

on several occasions, in the dead of the night, their screen door rattled, the lid of their power box slammed and someone or something pounded on the weatherboard walls…

the decidedly unpleasant sensation that something was stalking them as they walker, very early in the morning along the badly lit, scrub-fringed road…

stopped in his tracks by “the most God-awful roar”, similar to that of a lion but indefinably alien. It was immensely loud and utterly terrifying…

It had a human-sized head, but because the head was set low into a pair of absolutely huge shoulders it looked disproportionally small…

Posted Image
Does the sketch match the description?

since then both she and Jerry have seen the creature, or at least its silhouette, at the window on six other occasions...

It is interesting to note that the O’Connors live only 2 km from Neil Frost – himself a Yowie researcher who vouches for hoaxer Dean Harrison’s credibility. Furthermore, the O’Connors also claim to get an audio recording of their intruder – not of breathing and vocals but of footsteps and the sound of the Yowie finding, uncovering and unwrapping the protective plastic bag which encased the recorder. The audio has yet to surface for scrutiny.

“My whole life spun on its axis, “ said Jerry, “it changed my whole belief system.” So much so, apparently, that after the first sighting instead of calling in a zoologist or National Parks and Wildlife or even a police investigator  they enlisted the help of Yowie Researchers Frost and Harrison. Were they seeking answers or confirmation?

More claims from the O’Connors:

Both Jerry and Sue experience what they describe as weird, rather sickening, “electrical” sensations in their backs when the creatures are nearby. The feeling is often centred on the region of the kidneys. Sometimes it creates a burning sensation, more often it feels icy cold, like “liquid niotrogen”. Sometimes it induces a degree of paralysis, leaving them barely able to talk. Sometimes it leaves them very thirsty. The “electro” feeling sometimes wakes them from deep sleep. They are certain yowies somehow “project” it…

The O’Connors noticed an odd pattern to the yowie visitations: they occurred most frequently just before Sue’s monthly periods…

Sue O’Connor claims to have established a telepathic link with one of the creatures. The individual she contacted seemed to be their most regular visitor, and was a female. It seemed to say that it resided in the “Black Dimension” but was, nevertheless, a benign “being of light” which was drawn to her and her garden. It was immensely old, essentially immortal…

p.104-106, 193

The authors, while not ruling out alternate explanations, discount vivid imagination as an explanation because of the O’Connors apparent sincerity and they discount their experiences as the result of pranks or hoaxes because of the involvement of the Yowie Researchers who, themselves, cite similar experiences (though, presumably not the menstrual one).

Is it fair to say that not all is as it seems with the Yowie or is that an understatement?

#158    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

Night Walker you are particularly nasty playing pranks on people in the dark lol. Please stop saying that I am connected to hoaxers, I've told you many times it's been well over three years since I've spoken to them and I don't even know who is still around in the group.

I voted yes I believe in Yowies but I'm not going to get into a debate about it because it'll just be pages of fighting going on backwards and forwards. Well there should actually be 4 yes from here as 4 people old enough to count have had encounters in this house.

With Sues period, it has been documented by some researches have used (don't read on if your squeamish) used pads or tampons as they believe the scent of menstrual blood attracts yowies and bigfoot. Never tried it, didn't think it'd look nice if a visitor appeared and wanted to go out the back.  :yes:

I actually used to use my children at night, nasty mum. When they were younger they'd ride they're bikes and scream around on the back deck. I found that would sometimes work drawing the creature in as they were curious about the kids (another documented issue mainly from bigfoot researchers). You'd listen closely and would usually be able to pick up something big coming closer up the gully towards the house unfortunately I never had a torch strong enough to reach the areas I needed to see into.

I also have a picture just like the goanna one above lol, I thought it was the cat next door when I heard the thump and instead it turned out to be a huge goanna. I grabbed the camera and I don't know who got the bigger fright as I followed him around the deck before he got off and climbed a tree.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#159    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

If the Yowie exists, it must bury its dead, because there are no skeletal remains on show. Would not that test hold true for all these types of thing ? There are no Hyenas to grind through and disperse the skeletons of the purported secretive creatures of this ilk, in the places they are reputed to live.

#160    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

If you climb into the gully that forms my back yard you can't see 2 metres anywhere around you clearly the bush is so thick. I'd say that would be true of most yowie habitats. We also found our yowies would migrate normally over the hottest months of summer there would be little activity. It really depended on the rainfall and if the creeks stayed full of water or not. The same as most creatures, they follow water.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#161    modas

modas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• Any idiot with a good memory can pass an exam but not every genius wins a Nobel prize.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

there culd be Yowie but i not shore maby there is like realy not much left of them and they hiding in caves or somethwere else maby the same with big foots that culd be because they see what peple do with planet.

#162    NatureBoff

NatureBoff

SandersonHapgood

• Banned
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

View PostHabitat, on 13 January 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

If the Yowie exists, it must bury its dead, because there are no skeletal remains on show. Would not that test hold true for all these types of thing ? There are no Hyenas to grind through and disperse the skeletons of the purported secretive creatures of this ilk, in the places they are reputed to live.
Prof Gregory Forth has written the most comprehensive book yet "Images of the South East Asian Wildman: An Anthrpological Perpective". Apparently wildmen have been seen burying their dead in the sand by the sea. Now I've read the book, I agree with the professor that their size has been greatly exaggerated and they are more inclined to be around 5ft or 6ft tall but with incredible strength (chimpanzees have four to five times the strength of an average man). Maybe the yowies only entered Australia recently and flourished in the new non-mammalian environment and grew in size, who knows.

#163    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,804 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

View Postzednuts, on 09 October 2010 - 01:46 PM, said:

I'm not making any extraordinary claims here or asking anyone to believe anything but the fact that the yowie is alive and well in the minds and memory of the Australian people. I feel like lol when I hear some ignorant folk bagging the indigenous people as superstitious ignorant savages when in some respects they are still well advanced of anything imagined in the west.

I find this statement contradicts itself. The Australian people is quite a call, and as far as believers in Yowies go mate, you lot are in the minority by a long shot, although a great deal more vocal than those that do not give a crap. I have indigenous relatives that dead set laugh at the "White man" interpretation of the "Yowie", hell, that word is really Gilroys expression used to cover many tales from indigenous lore that range across this legend. Nobody I have seen has ever bagged the indigenous here as savages, in fact I am quite sure a quick search will reveal quite the opposite. Yet we are not discussing giant snakes that carve river systems into that Australian landscape, despite the fact that the Rainbow Serpent is far more prolific in all indigenous cultures across the land than the Yowie (known by many more names to the many tribes that had differing versions of the creature, one resembling a spider more than a man). Trying to anthropomorphise indigenous legends for the sake of fulfilling a Western fantasy is what I see as being a savage as we are raping and pillaging indigenous culture for some camp fire stories. There are more than enough reasons to discount a huge hairy man in the Australian, hanging onto late night tales I feel is a bit childish when we have the level of technology and evolutionary knowledge available to us that we do. The indigenous may be advanced in way we cannot fathom, but so is the west, stop trying to place an us and them culture here, we are ALL Aussies, the excellent research of Nightwalker very much included despite your protest at him slowly killing off the Yowie.
I am an Aussie, I do not believe in the Yowie as a physical entity.

Edited by psyche101, 13 January 2011 - 10:35 PM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#164    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• 1,131 posts

J.M. Smith

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

View PostTia, on 13 January 2011 - 06:28 AM, said:

Please stop saying that I am connected to hoaxers, I've told you many times it's been well over three years since I've spoken to them and I don't even know who is still around in the group.

I don’t wish to be rude but I am simply pointing out the obvious – that you are, or at least were, connected with hoaxers specifically of the Yowie variety. Have your claims been investigated by anyone other than Yowie Researchers/hoaxers? Like zoologists, National Parks and Wildlife, or the police? If not, why not? You promoted their alleged “Yowie vocals” on this forum, and you defend hoaxers as being legit. Why? Did you not realise that hoaxing, pranking, and storytelling of such things are not uncommon or that you simply don’t like to think such things about people you know? Or is their hoaxing a recent phenomenon while their earlier research was legit?

I point these things out and ask probing questions because I want to understand what is going on. Belief alone doesn’t cut it. Belief can be, and has been, exploited time and time again throughout the entire field of Cryptozoology.

Are your Yowie experiences akin to your experiences of moving spirits on (subjective) - "Years ago I moved on a few spirits and encountered one that was quite nasty and it took a lot of effort to get rid of it but I did" http://www.unexplain...ic=197237&st=45 - or like the goanna (objective)? It might be nice to believe that there are Yowies and marsupial lions and panthers (but no feral pigs and kangaroos) roaming beyond your backyard in the Blue Mountains but the evidence just doesn’t support it:

Blue Mtns - Posted Image http://www.bluemts.c.../about/maps.asp
Feral Pig - Posted Image http://www.feral.org...Pig_Nat0607.png
Grey Kangaroo - Posted Image http://animals.natio.../gray-kangaroo/
Red Kangaroo - Posted Image http://animals.natio...s/red-kangaroo/

Just because you don’t see feral pigs or big kangaroos (red and/or grey) or other species native and feral (like deer) doesn’t mean they are not there – they abound in far greater numbers than any extinct marsupial predators, exotic felines, and hairy bipedal giants (if they objectively exist at all).

Given the terror that’s induced by noise alone, it might come as no surprise that out in that other great black-and-white arena, the Australian bush at night, I have a reputation for both my value-added imagination and a tendency to simultaneously reach for the brown corduroys. And with very good reason. Australian days may ring with the benign warbles of magpies, but gird up your loins, because after dark we have out there a suite of nocturnal screamers and grunters guaranteed to turn the toughest bronzed Auzzie bowels to water.

Top of the list by about 4000 decibels is a bone-chilling roar that once had my wife and I huddled in the far corner of our tent all night waiting to be disemboweled. We’d figured the creature outside must have been an escaped lion desperate for real flesh after a lifetime of zoo-issue soya-loaf. Many years later, and having since identified the embarrassing source of those appalling roars, I was consulted by some men – tough by bar-room standards – who’d also endured the same bellowing routine. They’d locked themselves in their ute for the night, waiting nervously with cocked rifles for claws and slavering teeth to rip the doors off their hinges. Miraculously living through their ordeal, they’d made all the logical Auzzie conclusions and attributed the atrocious aural adventure to a roving yowie.

On playing them a recording of the offender, none other than a rampant red deer bellowing across a reverberating valley (but not yet identifying the beast to them), they’d unanimously agreed that yes, indeed, it was a yowie call. But judging by the disbelief on their ashen faces when told what it was, I wondered what they were going to regret more…the annoying glitch in such a compelling pub yarn, or the amount of time they’d spent disinfecting the interior of their car for the sake of a big, bawling Bambi.

Male red deer (Cervus elaphus) roar and attempt copulation relentlessly between March and June
(Note that this period matches your claim of when your Yowies were most active)

Not as earth-shaking as the roar of the red deer, but far more disturbing on account of its hideously human timbre, is that shout attributed down the years to the barking owl (Ninox connivens). Apparently (for the jury is now out) this owl has a number of calls, among which are the ‘wok-wok; wok-wok’ (as expected) and a ‘screaming woman’ call that is supposed to sound like a woman being strangled – again very Hitchcockian to those of us raised on (and damaged by), the great director. I have heard this but once in my life, one night when I was about 13, on a five-day fly-infested walk along Coxs River near the Blue Mountains. It was a hideously ear-piercing scream followed by a throttling gurgle, and would have been excruciatingly disturbing for everyone round the fire had not one of the mob been a twitcher who’d been praying every day for the past ten years for a first-hand encounter with this bird and its horrendous call.

But (another glitch here) we didn’t actually see the creature responsible for the awful screams. Australian ornithologist/photographer Graeme Chapman now questions if this call really belongs to the barking owl at all, proposing that the goose-pimpling shrieks might be made by mating red foxes (Vulpes vulpes). Turn out the lights, turn up the volume and listen for yourself at http://graemechapman....php?c=353&p=53 and see if your hair doesn’t look good in afro.  

If being forewarned is forearmed then ‘sensitive’ walkers, before committing themselves to the blackness of the bush at night, should listen also to the chilling calls made by some other shockers: yellow-bellied gliders, brushtail possums, bush thick-knees (curlews), koalas, flying foxes, alley cats and the appalling scream of a rabbit caught in a trap.

Thirty-three years on and my wife still wakes up in a cold sweat to the roaring that threatened to tear us apart all those years ago. But it’s not coming from outside the tent, more from below the sheets and the apnoeic old stag lying alongside her. It must be comforting for her to subconsciously know that with me nearest the doorway, any disembowelling that has to take place is now a vastly bigger task, giving her ample time to gather her belongings and get away.

http://www.wild.com....-and-screamers/

Dr Steve Van Dyck, Senior Curator of Vertebrates at the Queensland Museum, would be the ideal place to start if you wanted answers. I’m sure he could recommend someone equally as qualified in Sydney.

Yet, although encouraging others to view your claims with an open mind you seem particularly closed-minded about the ambiguous nature of your claims as well as the documented realities of your own environment. Again, I bring these issues up not to be nasty but as part of the process of determining if there is any objective reality to the Yowie rather than simply perpetuating the myth. I’m sorry to be blunt but you and the O’Connors (also of the Blue Mountains - do you know them?) – for the reasons outlined above and previously - do not come across as particularly credible witnesses. I’m not going to BS you and state otherwise on the information presently available.

#165    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

View PostHumblemun, on 02 December 2009 - 11:40 AM, said:

Less than a year to wait imo
well, it's been more than a year. what did they find?

Edited by JGirl, 14 January 2011 - 02:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users